List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok. Long day. Hard day.

Some people remember where they were when man landed on the moon. Others when the Berlin Wall came down, the twin towers fell or Squizzy Taylor won the rising star.

I will remember where I was the day king gunners wanted out to Hawthorn.

I am both saddened for king gunners and sickened that it has come to this. I hold those on this board who have run our king out of the club PERSONALLY RESPONSIBLE for this. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

Please respect my privacy during this difficult time.

Mix some Elixir with cocaine and you will feel better

Ok. Long day. Hard day.

Some people remember where they were when man landed on the moon. Others when the Berlin Wall came down, the twin towers fell or Squizzy Taylor won the rising star.

I will remember where I was the day king gunners wanted out to Hawthorn.

I am both saddened for king gunners and sickened that it has come to this. I hold those on this board who have run our king out of the club PERSONALLY RESPONSIBLE for this. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

Please respect my privacy during this difficult time.

I can't see anyone wanting Gunston unless we pay for a lot of it..

Hawthorn has already intimated as much but not sure they'd want him anyway.

If North can't find anyone to take their end of first round future picks, there is potentially a deal available. We can work our future first, Gunston, his salary everything and hope to extract good value through North's 2024 end of first and second round picks.

Gunston has Clarkson connection anyway so he can still go and be their on field coach or development coach etc.

Mix some Elixir with cocaine and you will feel better

That may have already happened ...... that post suggests Elixuh is having a "Medical Episode" ..... quite common now, they tell me.

Below list of Hawks goal scorers for 2023. Taken from footywire.
I have only shown down to 4 goals.
Breust turns 33 next month.
Brockman most likely gone.

I originally thought the Hawks would not want an older player like Gunston after their recent cleanout.
But a 2-year deal on suitable money may be a stopgap solution for the Hawks next year.

Most likely nothing will happen until Wednesday or until the Hawks clear their trade in/out targets.

1697182571973.png

A year ago gunston - coming off 32 goals in 16 games with a dud side, no contract. Just turned 31yo but seemed to have recovered well from a bad back and looked to have 2-3 years left

Today gunston - 22 goals in 17 games, 6 goals v west coast. Turns 32 and had to do a training block to get back in to the side. $500k contract

We will get an irrelevant pick and have to pay some of his salary

If he is desperate to go and no deal happens he should either retire or be willing to become a 2s player / 1s coach. If it’s true we are going after a more senior assistant coach to replace the 2 who have left this makes sense. Asking someone to do a bit of coaching on the side for $500k is entirely reasonable

I can't see us having to pay his salary to play elsewhere. May as well have him on the list if that's the case. If he doesn't want to play here any longer then he has to find a club to pay his salary, or he can retire.

I can't see us having to pay his salary to play elsewhere. May as well have him on the list if that's the case. If he doesn't want to play here any longer then he has to find a club to pay his salary, or he can retire.

Yep. If he can convince Hawks to spread his salary over 2 years, that's all up to him. We can potentially facilitate this deal for a token pick and help him get to where he want to go. We can't trade him and end up worse in terms of picks or salary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the Age: Jack of all trades: Mystery surrounds a possible Gunston return to Hawthorn

Jack Gunston’s trade request back to Hawthorn – one year after leaving for Brisbane – blindsided the Hawks and is no certainty to eventuate.

Gunston, who is holidaying overseas, including playing golf in the United States with Hawthorn captain James Sicily and Lions teammate Charlie Cameron, has not spoken to the Hawks about his intention to return.

It is almost an unprecedented move in that sense, and remains shrouded in mystery, especially with Hawthorn indicating that trade targets Mabior Chol and Massimo D’Ambrosio are still their priorities.

Gunston’s high-profile agent, Tom Petroro, had dialogue with the Hawks recently – alerting them he might want to return to Victoria – and since the trade request became public, a source familiar with the situation told The Age.

This masthead was aware in recent weeks that Gunston was weighing up a return to Victoria, but the situation accelerated in the past few days.

There is a theory Gunston’s trade request could also be about attracting the interest of fellow Victorian clubs, such as Melbourne and Richmond, where ex-Hawthorn assistant Adem Yze is now in charge.

The Demons previously expressed interest in the 32-year-old, who played in the Hawks’ 2013-15 flag three-peat and kicked 410 goals in 211 games.

Gunston kicked 22 goals in 17 games for the Lions this past season, but fell out of favour mid-year and embarked on a mini-pre-season before reclaiming his spot.

A knee injury sidelined him late in the season, and he was unable to force his way into Chris Fagan’s senior side despite being declared available ahead of the preliminary final.

Brisbane have acknowledged Gunston’s trade request, but are “assessing its position”, given he is contracted until the end of next season.

My position here - if we are trading him to Hawks and Richmond, they can have him for basically nothing. If it is the Dees, then I'd be belligerent or demand something silly. I don't think he has anything left, but no reason to give them even the slimmest of chances to strengthen a direct competitor.

From the Age: Jack of all trades: Mystery surrounds a possible Gunston return to Hawthorn

My position here - if we are trading him to Hawks and Richmond, they can have him for basically nothing. If it is the Dees, then I'd be belligerent or demand something silly. I don't think he has anything left, but no reason to give them even the slimmest of chances to strengthen a direct competitor.
I'm more than happy for him to go... and they can all pay overs. We really don't any of those teams a thing... I get it's unlikely to happen but you know...

Hence Lionheart saying we should’ve ponied up to keep McStay; I mean it’s not as if the money the Pies are paying him are exorbitant and i bet you wouldn’t get close to his calibre of player entering his prime on that sort of money elsewhere; just a dumb decision not to retain Dan.
My understanding is that the Pies had plonked his partner into a high paying legal role.

Bit of a cluster having issues with us trying to move a 32 year old on and hoping like hell someone will put their hand up and get us out of it with not too much damage.

I have to say with all due respect to whatever Gunners is trying to sort out in his personal life he didn't give us much and probably not helping us much now.

Len Thompson for a season. I hear he’s not enjoying South Melbourne.
Great players' reputations keep their capacity well and truly alive when they're sometimes way past their use by date.

I brought this up a few times at the beginning of last season. Mainly because we'd been though it all so many times before.

Great players' reputations keep their capacity well and truly alive when they're sometimes way past their use by date.

I brought this up a few times at the beginning of last season. Mainly because we'd been though it all so many times before.
100% - We’ve seen it and you could have just about scripted this. History really does repeat.

List wise I don't have a lot of expectation of Henry Smith. Happy to be surprised.

With Fullarton and probably Gunston gone it's no great loss but leaves us bereft if one of our 2 talls gets injured.

Obviously we need to get someone else in unless we rejig with Lester as a potential forward .

I'm wondering whether we go back to the 2 rucks. At least Fort and Oscar have shown they can kick a goal every now and then.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back