Player Watch #29: Will Phillips - tags N.Daicos vs Collingwood - subbed off at 3/4 time??

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not just because of his height, but very similar profile and skillset as Caleb Daniel. Wonder if he can play a similar role in the back 1/3 of the ground. Just a thought

Of course I'd like him to succeed, given we used pick 3 on him. Great bloke, professional, team player, etc. But I just don't think he has enough tools to be best 22.
He doesn't have pace, doesn't have height, gets bumped off the ball, kicking lacks penetration, not a goal kicking mid..
If all he can provide on field is tackling and short distance give offs, then he's quite limited as a footballer.

Unfortunately that’s how I see it as well. And when you’re limited to contested ball and short give offs you have to be absolutely elite at it (a la Cunnington) which up to this point Phillips doesn’t seem to be

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Unfortunately that’s how I see it as well. And when you’re limited to contested ball and short give offs you have to be absolutely elite at it (a la Cunnington) which up to this point Phillips doesn’t seem to be

Maybe that's because he hasn't had a lot of talent around him (I take your point about Cunners though). I'm hoping that the outside guys can make some better use of positioning to turn a flash handball out of the guts into some time and space where they can carry the ball and find a target inside 50.

It was a bit of a no contest game, but 26 touches, 6 clearances, 6 inside 50's, 9 score involvements, 426 meters gained from 69% game time is noting to sneeze at. At times during that game he looked super sharp around the contest too, like he did at U/18 level.

He just needs to get fitter, stronger, faster.
I think that a big reason for him looking good in that game was our setup and actually having outside mids.

Phillips needs guys who can receive the ball. He usually gets it from in under and all of our mids are standing on top of him, trying to win it off him, rather than being targets.

He also gets it open play and nobody is running by to receive.

I think that a big reason for him looking good in that game was our setup and actually having outside mids.

Phillips needs guys who can receive the ball. He usually gets it from in under and all of our mids are standing on top of him, trying to win it off him, rather than being targets.
Spot on. He averaged 20.8 disposals in his final 10 games last season, including 12.6 handballs (along with 4.9 tackles and 4.3 clearances). He's a guy who impacts at the coalface and distributes the ball very quickly. Because he often only has possession for a millisecond his work can go unnoticed, but the better the receivers are around him the more valuable he is to the side.

If he can build on the second half of 2023 and average 20+ possessions for the full season next year he will be on right on track and our growing band of running players will be all the better for it.

Geez that's amazing......Greig and Blight seem so much bigger. Show's you how much the size of players have changed
I know, its a bit crazy. Its just one of things I sussed out over the last few years and it blows me away a bit. Wiphi is 1.80cm, but whenever I see those off season insta photos he always looks a little taller. Not so much on field. Colby is the same height as Will. Warlord is the same height as Blighty!!! And GAj.

Sheeze is the same height as GAj's dad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're comparing Cunnington at the end of his career to Will 3 years in. Cunners was far from elite at the end of his third year of AFL. In fact Will is only tracking slightly behind Cunners.
Screen Shot 2023-11-22 at 2.34.17 pm.png

Spot on. He averaged 20.8 disposals in his final 10 games last season, including 12.6 handballs (along with 4.9 tackles and 4.3 clearances). He's a guy who impacts at the coalface and distributes the ball very quickly. Because he often only has possession for a millisecond his work can go unnoticed, but the better the receivers are around him the more valuable he is to the side.

If he can build on the second half of 2023 and average 20+ possessions for the full season next year he will be on right on track and our growing band of running players will be all the better for it.
This was one of the first things I noticed about Will in his debut season, how quick and clean he is by hand. I personally think he's tracking very nicely for all the setbacks he's had, I'm confident we will see a big step forward in consistency and numbers this season.

There's something so ****ing weird about seeing people saying we should give up on Will and Powelly while hyping Colby and Zane, when Will and Tom were in exactly that position 3 years ago

You don't rebuild by tossing away high picks 3 years into the system and replacing them with other high picks, before tossing them away etc ad infinitum

There's something so ******* weird about seeing people saying we should give up on Will and Powelly while hyping Colby and Zane, when Will and Tom were in exactly that position 3 years ago

You don't rebuild by tossing away high picks 3 years into the system and replacing them with other high picks, before tossing them away etc ad infinitum

I think most are not saying we should give up on them but that in the three years they have been at the club competition for spots has increased and I would say that the style of football has also changed. It doesn't mean that they won't succeed but their ability to be best 22 looks more difficult.

Well if they sprinted for any distance, he'd be ahead of Will. So though would half of BF. One more year under contract, will be interesting.
Will has run 100m in under 11.5 seconds. I know of two people on this board who have done that and i'm one of them.

He will, for the first time in since his under 16 years, have a full uninterrupted year and pre season. I cant wait to get up everyone who doubts this kid.

You're comparing Cunnington at the end of his career to Will 3 years in. Cunners was far from elite at the end of his third year of AFL. In fact Will is only tracking slightly behind Cunners.
View attachment 1858711
Phillips was impacted by everything during his first years. Kid will thrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back