Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

What they got right​

Finding different ways to win
It wasn’t pretty, but Carlton got the job done on Thursday night – and did so while being beaten in the clearances and contested possessions.
This has been their one-wood under Michael Voss, but the Tigers beat them around the ball across the night.=
The Blues looked dangerous on transition all night and punished Richmond on turnovers, ultimately allowing them to claim the four points.

Mitch McGovern in career-best form
Mitch McGovern has started the 2024 season looking like prime Jeremy McGovern.
He is not only starring as an intercept marking defender, but he is punishing teams on counterattack with his ball-use.
McGovern always takes on dangerous kicks through the middle and is vital to Carlton’s ability to score on transition.

What they got wrong​

Missed opportunities
The expected score for this game tells the story a bit, with Carlton sitting at 95.6, despite only scoring 86.
However, that likely doesn’t include the forward chains of possession the Blues had across the night that were ultimately undone by a poor kick inside 50. Carlton completely controlled the second quarter against the Tigers, but kicked 3.6, leaving the door ajar.
If the Blues want to play this more frenetic game style, they need to use the ball better around goals to maximise their periods of dominance.

Matt Kennedy as the third tall forward
This unfortunately isn’t working for Carlton. They’ve attempted to use Kennedy in the Jack Silvagni/Jack Martin role to start the season, but Nick Vlastuin paid him no attention and was arguably best on ground. Kennedy kicked a goal and had 13 disposals, but he is still clearly best suited as an inside midfielder, who can push forward. Starting him forward as a marking target seems to be something the Blues like trying, but it has rarely delivered. They’ll be hoping Martin is available for selection following their Round 2 bye.

News on the H/S website that Patrick and Monique Cripps are expecting their first child next month. Maybe I should post in the father - son/daughter thread?

Can you imagine how many Carlton fans will be camping outside the hospital on the day of delivery? Sandra Sully reporting the big day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As per fox sports power rankings:

“Start beating bad teams properly then we’ll believe in you as a contender”.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
They can write whatever they want to write or say. It doesn’t bother me too much. But are we to gather that beating good teams properly (as we have now repeatedly done) doesn’t count?

I mean… the logic of that conversation goes something like as follows:

Fox analyst #1: “we’ve got this team who has beaten Brisbane, Collingwood, Melbourne, Sydney, Port Adelaide and Geelong the last time they played them.”

Fox analyst #2: “yes, but they didn’t towel up Richmond and Gold Coast. So they can’t be a contender.”

Last edited:
They can write whatever they want to write or say. It doesn’t bother me too much. But are we to gather that beating good teams properly (as we have now repeatedly done) doesn’t count?

Fox analyst #1: “we’ve got this team who has beaten Brisbane, Collingwood, Melbourne, Sydney, Port Adelaide and Geelong the last time they played them.”

Fox analyst #2: “yes, but they didn’t towel up Richmond and Gold Coast. So they can’t be a contender.”
I don't really care what the media says.

However, from my perspective we are at the baby stages of being a consistent, competitive team. Hawks, Swans, Cats, Tigers dynasties etc, how consistent were they during their peak? We have only just begun our 'run' and there's much bigger and better things to come.

Max Laughton from Fox Footy is one of the only genuine Carlton haters in the media, has been for years. Heath Buck spent years getting stuck into him on Twitter about it before getting blocked.

Had us coming 12th this year if I remember correctly and if you listen to his Podcast he's close to the most one eyed peanut you'll ever hear when it comes to us. Wouldn't worry about a word he says.

Once we have our troops back and we've got fresh legs from our running block they'll see how "legit" we are. Hoping to see an absolute annihilation vs North

Max Laughton from Fox Footy is one of the only genuine Carlton haters in the media, has been for years. Heath Buck spent years getting stuck into him on Twitter about it before getting blocked.

Had us coming 12th this year if I remember correctly and if you listen to his Podcast he's close to the most one eyed peanut you'll ever hear when it comes to us. Wouldn't worry about a word he says.

Once we have our troops back and we've got fresh legs from our running block they'll see how "legit" we are. Hoping to see an absolute annihilation vs North
hahaha im blocked, never interacted or heard of him once.

bang

Remove this Banner Ad

Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Back