Analysis Hawthorn rebuild: are they tanking?

Should Hawks Be Punished?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Im not referring to the conspiracy, I meant a big plot of land 20 minutes from training is a possibility, particularly for a wealthy footballer. Cant do that in Melbourne. Just like going for a surf.
My apologies.

Without Danger and Cameron they don't win that flag.

I'm not saying they're average, they're superbly run but Cameron and Danger took that team for contending to winning.

Regardlessthey do have an edge not available to others.
What about Gold Coast with the alleged "lifestyle" appeal?

Without Danger and Cameron they don't win that flag.

I'm not saying they're average, they're superbly run but Cameron and Danger took that team for contending to winning.

Regardlessthey do have an edge not available to others.

Yeah, i see your point

Has he ever been an A grader? One of the most overrated players in the comp

If Sicily isn't an A-grader then Lever is a C grader. Both are guns.

Idk what's going on with Sicily. Seems to be holding back as if he doesn't want to hurt the opposition. Maybe all the suspensions are wearing on him.

What about Gold Coast with the alleged "lifestyle" appeal?
The fact you put the words alleged and "" around lifestyle means you know that isn't true.

Don't get me wrong. This isn't a criticism, Geelong have used the advantage brilliantly and they're not the only club with an advance, plenty of others do too.

Idk what's going on with Sicily. Seems to be holding back as if he doesn't want to hurt the opposition. Maybe all the suspensions are wearing on him.

Nah, can't play one on one and mostly cheap touches in the backline. He also loses his cool far too many times giving away momentum killing free kicks.

He may have the ability but all the negatives outweigh the good.

The fact you put the words alleged and "" around lifestyle means you know that isn't true.

Don't get me wrong. This isn't a criticism, Geelong have used the advantage brilliantly and they're not the only club with an advance, plenty of others do too.
It would be appealing to some type of player GC I'd imagine.
It will be interesting to see if Tasmania becomes attractive for players in a similar vein to Geelong

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure it's forgotten, it's just not particularly relevant to this discussion.

Sicily did his ACL in 2020. This his now his 3rd season back.

His current form has nothing to do with that injury - he's just in terrible form at the moment.

Opposition have worked him out, thats all.

Put a player on him to niggle and take his mind off the game and he reacts accordingly.

Sisily is getting beaten between the ears and that has affected his output. Not a great weakness to have being captain. The midfield getting smashed doesnt help either.

As a Swans fan, we are not usually able to sustain that level of pressure for 4 quarters and we kicked some flukey goals. It felt like we were switched on today after losing to Richmond on the MCG a few weeks ago.

We are not a 80 point better side. It is just one of those days where things went our way early, we converted chances and kept momentum.

Sydney against bottom 4 sides at home is an 80 point better team. That has been proven more than once.

Pretty difficult for the current bottom four sides to compete against any Northern state teams playing at home. Not sure how they can catch up either.

Nah, can't play one on one and mostly cheap touches in the backline. He also loses his cool far too many times giving away momentum killing free kicks.

He may have the ability but all the negatives outweigh the good.

He took the same amount of contested marks as the likes of Weitering and 0.2 less per game than Sam Taylor in 2023.

Only lost 15.4% of 1v1's last season.

He's a long way off it this year but he was absolutely one of the elite players of the comp in 2023. His drop off of form is a big factor in why we are languishing on the bottom this year. Hopefully he can work his way back.

Sicily is clearly an A grader but not this season, he's horribly down on form.

Will Day however is not an A grade footballer at AFL level and never has been. He may be down the track but suggesting he is currently is grossly overstating his performance.

So on your grading. How many a graders did Collingwood have in a premiership? 3 or 4?

Get a transfer to geelong or Sydney. Problem solved

Those arguing against. Look at buddy treatment.

Get a transfer to geelong or Sydney. Problem solved

Those arguing against. Look at buddy treatment.

No doubt.

Chol did something stupid yesterday bowling over a defender off the ball but that happens to Sicily a half dozen times a game for nothing.

It's not just a Hawthorn thing though. There are certain players who get umpired differently to the rest of the competition, whether it's favourably or unfavourably.

I look at JHF at Port and it almost looks like the umps are watching him to pay a whistle when they can. He's a bit of a bonehead so he loves mouthing back at them too for an easy 50m.

We've had an absolute mare of a season with the messaging that's come out of the club.

That comment.

+ the "no ceiling on the season" comment. *

+ leaders at the club talking about Finals. *

+ this idea that the club is done focussing on drafting and there has now been a shift in direction for recruitment (which has been mentioned too many times by some posters).

That was all rather misplaced arrogance and a complete overrating of where we are as a club. The cold hard truth has now slapped us upside the head.

* it's fine having internal goals. But don't go mentioning them in public like that when they're extremely ambitious, especially given how poor the last several seasons have been. Talk is so cheap and those comments are proving to be rather embarrassing in hindsight.

Rebuilds are not linear either.

The expectation that clubs with young lists will improve every year is false. Injuries to a couple of key players and form and wins can dry up for a period before the next phase of improvement comes through.

It will happen at the Eagles as well, right now they look better. Lose a couple of key personnel and the floggings will return. Happens at every rebuilding side as the depth isnt yet there.

Mentioned this preseason and was Lol'd at by some one eyed Hawks posters.

Opposition have worked him out, thats all.

Put a player on him to niggle and take his mind off the game and he reacts accordingly.

Teams have all of a sudden worked out that you can distract Sicily and put him off his game?

No - that has been known for years. It is certainly not new and has happened for much of his career.

He's in bad form and pre-season injuries have meant he's needed to play a more defensive role.

So on your grading. How many a graders did Collingwood have in a premiership? 3 or 4?

Off the top of my head I'd probably say 4, yeah. Not sure how that's relevant though.

Rebuilds are not linear either.

The expectation that clubs with young lists will improve every year is false. Injuries to a couple of key players and form and wins can dry up for a period before the next phase of improvement comes through.

It will happen at the Eagles as well, right now they look better. Lose a couple of key personnel and the floggings will return. Happens at every rebuilding side as the depth isnt yet there.

Mentioned this preseason and was Lol'd at by some one eyed Hawks posters.

Yeah I agree. Myself and a few others suggested that we could improve as a side, yet could still finish around the same spot on the ladder. That was laughed at by those same posters.

Seems like the season may play out like that, we may have some marginal improvement in the results though we may finish even lower.

Yeah I agree. Myself and a few others suggested that we could improve as a side, yet could still finish around the same spot on the ladder. That was laughed at by those same posters.

Seems like the season may play out like that, we may have some marginal improvement in the results though we may finish even lower.

Yeah you can absolutely do this. Unfortunately though, some people are very simple in their analysis of footy, so see ladder position either stagnate or regress and assume so too has that side.

I've always rated Lever higher than Sicily.
both are good but I feel even if Sicily plays good he rarely leads his team to victory, you know if May or Lever play good you most likely are going to lose the game.

Back