Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

So… IIRC, the broadcast deal of the NBL was about $45M or so?

AFL broadcast deal is about $4.5B.

Someone can correct those figures if they want, I’m just estimating.

What I’m trying to say is, if the NBL was anything more than a tin-pot pissant competition, it would probably be as shonky as the AFL.

Give it a chance people!

So… IIRC, the broadcast deal of the NBL was about $45M or so?

AFL broadcast deal is about $4.5B.

Someone can correct those figures if they want, I’m just estimating.

What I’m trying to say is, if the NBL was anything more than a tin-pot pissant competition, it would probably be as shonky as the AFL.

Give it a chance people!

What one staff member does at an NBL club, a team like Port Adelaide would have 11 positions for, in both workload and budget.

So yeah not far off.

All things considering it's a pretty high quality league.

Are we all resigned to us being stuck with fly-head for the next two years?

I’d love to be wrong on him, but I fear the worst.

I’m guessing a great many will fall into the “love the one you’re with” trap. I did that with Sando, blinded by the hope.

Are we all resigned to us being stuck with fly-head for the next two years?

I’d love to be wrong on him, but I fear the worst.

I’m guessing a great many will fall into the “love the one you’re with” trap. I did that with Sando, blinded by the hope.

I'm clinging on to hope due to the fact that we sacked Sando at the end of 2014 despite having 2 years left on his contract after being extended prior to the start of that season. So still a chance Nicks will get the flick if not end of this season, at least possibly next year.

It's been 5 years. Statistically, he should have accidentally made finals by now even if he wasn't trying.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely he doesn't survive 2025 unless we make the 8.

If he survives the whole 2025 season and doesn't make the finals he'll surpass Alan Richardson as the coach who has longest tenure at a club without making the finals.

Nicks will be on 106 games at the end of the season, Dew lasted 121 games at GC and Richardson lasted 126 at St Kilda.

It's a pretty embarrassing list to be part of.

If he survives the whole 2025 season and doesn't make the finals he'll surpass Alan Richardson as the coach who has longest tenure at a club without making the finals.

Nicks will be on 106 games at the end of the season, Dew lasted 121 games at GC and Richardson lasted 126 at St Kilda.

That is us as a Club. Only Cornes and Sanderson have been sacked mid contract.

Graham Cornes - Sacked while contacted after missing finals in 1994 when we aere favourites at the start of the season for a grand final spot.
Robert Shaw - End of 1996 he quit after his family were getting threats. Wasnt sacked.
Blight - End of 1999 quit saying he was tired.
Ayres - 2004 was told he woldn't be renewed so he left before season out
Craig - End of 2011 he quit. Wasnt sacked.
Sanderson - Sacked at the end of 2014 after leadership group went to Chapman unhappy
Pyke - Resigned after club review. Not sacked
Then Nicks ever since.

He shouldn't have lasted this season without making the finals.

FFS

That is us as a Club. Only Cornes and Sanderson have been sacked mid contract.

Graham Cornes - Sacked while contacted after missing finals in 1994 when we aere favourites at the start of the season for a grand final spot.
Robert Shaw - End of 1996 he quit after his family were getting threats. Wasnt sacked.
Blight - End of 1999 quit saying he was tired.
Ayres - 2004 was told he woldn't be renewed so he left before season out
Craig - End of 2011 he quit. Wasnt sacked.
Sanderson - Sacked at the end of 2014 after leadership group went to Chapman unhappy
Pyke - Resigned after club review. Not sacked
Then Nicks ever since.
So... pretty much every resignation (maybe not Blight?) was done with the writing on the wall - they would have been removed from the position had they not resigned.

He shouldn't have lasted this season without making the finals.

FFS

Personally I would have sacked him after 2022.

For anyone thinking I'm revising history, here's my response after the GWS capitulation Round 1 last year

1000006006.png

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Back