Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton traded out of the first 2 rounds next year to move up 9 spots in an even draft. If their pick 3 (4 after Ashcroft) isn't a star, or if they aren't a top 6 team next year, it's a terrible series of trades for them.

This and the Owies trades are because they have not managed their list spots well. They couldn't accommodate the Camporeales and 2 first round picks with their list spots so they had to consolidate that into one pick. And now they have no hand next year.

Not just 9 spots.
9 spots in the first round up to pick 3.
Completely disagree with your take, they are killing it bringing in BOTH the twins and their 3rd rated player in all the land.
No hand next year?
Future picks mate, they're coming in next year......

Not just 9 spots.
9 spots in the first round up to pick 3.
Completely disagree with your take, they are killing it bringing in BOTH the twins and their 3rd rated player in all the land.
No hand next year?
Future picks mate, they're coming in next year......
Rather have both Travaglia and Trainor as an example than just O’Sullivan. The Camporeale twins are very average!

Collingwood went into the period without their first or second round picks after finishing bottom 10.

They come out with Houston and Perryman.

Pretty good if you think there's still juice to squeeze out of that list.

Sidebottom, Howe, Pendles, Crisp, WHE, Mihocheck, Mitchell. A third of the team could drop off any day.
Are Houston and Perryman moving the dial that much though? They need key position players at both ends not 2 HBF. Houston is very good don't get me wrong but they clearly feel they can contend for a little while yet which is why there topping up. It will only be a decent trade if there contenders the next 2-3 years and he is a big part of that. If not we'll than they are in a bit of trouble list wise.

We have all the leverage in the WCE trade. I feel like we could say F1 for Barrass take it or leave it (F1 is very fair after they stupidly rejected pick 14).

They just got fleeced by Carlton, Barrass wants out and they need picks in 2025 after getting rid of their pick 3. I wouldn't be happy if we gave them 2 F1's at this point.

I was having a browse of the Port board to see some of their reactions and like always, it is comical.

This was just too funny

This is the worst trade that's ever been done, and it's not even an exaggeration. We just bent over the table, rubbed the lube around our arseh*le and said "**** us hard please"

I think its basically talent wise pick not position when it's your first pick generally and for where west coast are and what they see in this draft is the talent is comparable across the first 20 or so picks. So they are not losing much in terms of talent.

I hear you, but can't agree.
All good, I understand the spirit of what you're saying but it's a butchered deal for mine.
As others have pointed out, they could have done significantly better and still achieved the outcomes they have sufficed with.

I've got a mate decently connected at the Blues and they don't rate Owies, in fact they have been dying to fill that small forward role for ages and were desperate enough to repeatedly go back to foul infested wells with Martin, Motlop, Fantasia etc because of a lack of consistency from Owies.
He'll kick goals or be completely invisible from his average of 8 disposals a game.
They've chosen Motlop of the three to back in but it was a coin flip.

I actually recognise this play from WC because it sits a little like lead from some of our dealings when we were shite and didn't know where to turn.

It's an awful trade for the Eagles.

Also worth pointing out that despite the Eagles demands and the media fools like Paul Roos thinking this is "staining us"

Tom Barrass's Manager is Nick Gieschen, who also Manages.....Harley Reid. Do they think Geischen will be telling him resign, or go cash in and win flags? Gieschen is part of Connors Sports Management who would be representing most of the best talent in the comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its not mate the draft is very even pick 12 almost as good as pick 3

Maybe so, but teams like certain players in the draft pool and want the chance to pick those specific players. FOS, Lalor and Langford seem to be the early top three Vic players. I imagine the Bluuz have their eyes on one of them.

If every club considered the draft to be so even then we should have sold pick 14 to WCE, telling them it's pretty much pick 1 anyway.

Rather have both Travaglia and Trainor as an example than just O’Sullivan. The Camporeale twins are very average!
I LOVE the two you mention and was not against splitting the pick and taking two.
Reckon they could still have had a top 7-8 pick and a second not much worse than that to follow or future first if that's the preference.
But 12, Owies and Baker blows.

Oh, and lets re-visit your Campo twin assessment once they've been on the Carlton list a year or so.

Its not mate the draft is very even pick 12 almost as good as pick 3
Regardless of how even the draft is, would you rather have 3rd bite at the apple or 12th?

If the haggling is over the F3, I hope we can make the first ever connect four trade in AFL history to split the difference.

In: Barrass, F3 (WCE), F4 (WCE)
Out: F1 (Haw), F2 (Haw), F3 (Haw), F4 (Haw)
They won't swap 3s and 4s as they'll be lower than our picks.

Will end up being f1 and f2 that's it

Regardless of how even the draft is, would you rather have 3rd bite at the apple or 12th?
No but I would rather 2 bites at 12 and 14 than 1 bite at 3 in a very even draft across the first 15 or so kids. The proposed top 4 are far from standouts. Trading pick 14 for Baker was the biggest mistake in that trade.

No but I would rather 2 bites at 12 and 14 than 1 bite at 3 in a very even draft across the first 15 or so kids. The proposed top 4 are far from standouts. Trading pick 14 for Baker was the biggest mistake in that trade.
It was a 3 way trade, they never actually got 14. I get the point you're making but it was just a bad trade - if the difference between 3 and 12 is as negligible as being made out, there would have been zero issue with accepting 14 over what pick we might have had if we didn't end the season so strongly.

Got em right where we want em...

Our offer is F1 & F2 for Barrass & F3.. Which is effectively pick 14 for Barrass and Pick ~40 (next year)..

Reckon we drop the ask of F3 at 7.25pm if we're still at a stalemate and tell them take it or leave it

Tigers are set to have a putrid team, but 8 picks within 24 in a very hyped draft.

Genuinely interested to see if going that all in can be a valid way to build a side. Probably won't know for 7-10 years.
It will be interesting. They will never have a hand like this again because they don't have anyone else left worth trading for. So from now on it will be one pick at a time I reckon. And while they might be bringing in 8 players they have to replace three good players as well as a few average ones in a team that was already the worst in the comp, so the net gain is really only three or four. And while those recruits mature the few good players the Tiges have left will be getting older. Lynch and Prestia, Vastuin, Broad and Hopper could be gone before this intake is up and running so Richmond need to have a lot of their replacements among this crop of recruits as well. There are so few good players on their list under 25 that whatever success they get will need to come from this draft. If they get 8 guns they might be ok; but if they only get four guns, a couple of decent players and two spuds they will be in trouble. And of course they have a new coach trying to wrangle it all.

Might work, but it might not too! I don't think they had much choice though so can't knock them for trying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back