Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

JFC - a first and second rounder is not 'losing' on Barrass. It's the fairest price of the trade period.

How the **** are they losing on that deal? No KPD has ever gone for two firsts.
He is pretty happy with himself the Richmond nuffy. They got their pick 14 i still reckon that was overs

Barrass is not with a first round pick, if Dan Houston who's 2.5 years younger, and with no injury issues, is not worth a first round pick.

Eagles strategy is too overvalue a player they are shopping around, hoping someone meets halfway, overpays and offers them a first round.

Hawks first round pick looked good back in July when Hawks were out of the 8.

I know Clarko and wright overpaid and gave away our assets for nothing. But I feel this is different.
I think that's part of why Wright and Clarko had the falling out, Wright couldn't do his job properly because Clarko was saying, "I don't care what it costs, get me Mitchell, O'Meara, Wingard do the deal....I'm the genius that got us Dew and Burgoyne when you didn't want to...."

Worst case, we drop the request for a f3 and it’s done for a f1 and f2.

We still basically got him for pick 14, they just completely ****ed themselves in the process and lost pick 3.

Not our fault they were playing stupid games.
Exactly, play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
I doubt we are really pushing for the F3 in return, given we started qith 14 plus something?
Seems more like WCE saving face when they ultimately accept the equivalent of just 14.

How many ways can the screw Tom Barrass over?
First the contract situation
Now overpricing him and causing the deal to drag out longer than it should.

He was promised a renegotiation of his contract and West Coast backed out of that but are still claiming all the benefit of him being a contracted player. Real tip rat behaviour with contracts there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So effectively we are seeking Barrass and F3 (~42-48) for 2024 1st pick. That works for me. I love that we haven’t caved into the narrative of 2 firsts or nothing. I just continually come back to his age. If he was 23 then it would be reasonable but not someone turning 30 next year. I’ve even noticed a few west Australian pundits mention that two firsts is not reasonable for a guy that misses so much football through injuries.

Just take a look at his record. He never plays full seasons and that’s probably just going to get worse as he enters his 30’s.

Pick 50 was added in by Suns. That was the new ;ick added to yday's pot that swayed Port.

Oh my lord.

Meanwhile Eagles fans are slowly realising that their inability to say NO to Baker and walk away is the cause of all their strife.

They said on sen Melbourne that it was already in the deal, watch Kane Cornes walk and talk on his twitter.

I think any club in the top half of the ladder that can get its hands on a top 3 pick is doing it right.

As we have just seen in the grand final, an injection of gun young talent can tip you over the line.

Hats off to Carlton, they must have a target they are after. Now they cross their fingers but the odds are in their favour.

They can also trade back into the draft next year with future picks if needed.

No they haven't pick 12 is almost equivalent to pick 3 given how even this draft is for talent there are no standouts

Not sure I'd go that far............
At the least picking 3 you have a far better opportunity to choose not only you're favourite, but positionally where you'd like to lay emphasis on your list building.
The way the Eagles are trodding you have to play the game of 'Well, they're all pretty close as talents so we'll be just as happy with our 12th favourite player in maybe a position of less importance to our plan for team building'.

I wouldn't be thrilled with that line of thinking if it was us and we were trying to create a team from the bottom of the ladder.
Says you don't really trust your talent evaluators to make a big call.

Here is why West Coast MUST trade Barrass is any 1st rounder is included for the sake of their list build.

Draft hands for 2024 draft:
Richmond: 1, 14, 20, 24, 51, 61, 70, 76
vs
West Coast: 12, 26, 73

12 and 26 is not going to cut it and Baker and Owies and keeping Barrass doesn't help that.

No top 10 pick, Richmond get 4 picks before West Coasts 2nd pick. You can find a gem in the up till Richmond's 51, but there's very rarely anything worth getting at 73.

Both are terrible bottom 3 sides. 1 side is committed to a rebuild the other wants to cling to a 29 year old defender and top up with 26 year olds like they are a contending side. To make it worse it's the guys that Richmond has been happy to clear out as they are mediocre and they need to refresh the age profile.

There is a fundamental difference in how the 2 sides value draft picks. They think 14 is what a player like Baker is worth.

When we trade pick 14 it's for a 22 year old that will win a Brownlow for us. For them it's a guy that will try for 4 years then retire.

Not unhappy if the deal falls through.

Barrass is a quality player and he is contracted. If he was 26 there is no problem with 2x firsts. But he’s turning 30 next year, and he has well documented chronic back issues that he will “have to manage forever” (his own words).

A future first and future second is fair value, and we’re not obligated to pay overs because West Coast made risky trades and want to save face.

Barrass is an upgrade over Frost as the anchor, but Frost is still serviceable enough that our defence was top 3 in the league from rounds 6-our exit. We’ve added Battle and Blanck is returning from an ACL. We don’t need to be going crazy.

Having two firsts and seconds next year sets us up for a raid, or protects us if we have a down year.

It's seems like WC keep moving the goal posts, every time we seem to get what they want they want more, going by what I've read on here.

Not sure I'd go that far............
At the least picking 3 you have a far better opportunity to at least choose not only you're favourite, but positionally where you'd like to lay emphasis on your list building.
This way you have to play the game of 'Well, they're all pretty close as talents so we'll be just as happy with our 12th favourite player in maybe a position of less importance to our plan for team building'.

I wouldn't be thrilled with that line of thinking if it was us and we were trying to create a team from the bottom of the ladder.
Says you don't really trust your talent evaluators to make a big call.
I think its basically talent wise pick not position when it's your first pick generally and for where west coast are and what they see in this draft is the talent is comparable across the first 20 or so picks. So they are not losing much in terms of talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back