2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

🎯 Draft Period, November 20–21
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Wednesday, November 20
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Thursday, November 21
  • Rookie Promotions: Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Thursday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Friday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Friday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Friday, November 22, 3.20pm

Last edited:

from a different game

#16 Jevan Phillipou
Forward | 180cm | 30/03/2007

Stats:
19 disposals, 11 marks, 4 inside 50s, 1 goal

Phillipou was back to his usual self on Saturday, providing a capable link-up option on the attack and also getting dangerous inside 50. The bottom-ager’s clean hands and ability to lose opponents with pirouettes helped manufacture chances on goal, either by snapping towards the big sticks or centring to the hot spot. Phillipou was not afraid to use either foot and got good range on some of his kicks, although he shanked a 50m set shot after the half time siren and copped a nasty falcon hitting up at a bouncing ball in term four.

... pirouettes you say? I'm having deja pou

Last edited:

You can be pretty bloody confident that the reason there is only 1 club in the top 6 picks (North) looking to slide down, tells you that there isn’t going to be a tall take outside of that pick.

This draft is very much looking like the cream of the midfielders are going in the top 7.

Melbourne have effectively guaranteed themselves a gun tall at 9. One of Trainor Armstrong or Tauru

Richmond will take 2 mids in their first 2 picks. Whether that’s 1&2 the 2 best kids or 1&6. So the best kid and the best slider - which is likely Smillie right now.

It isn’t rocket science. The order is firming right up.

If we traded for pick 2 and kept 7. Then shit might change. As north come in at 8 - so that might impact Melbourne at 5 or Richmond at 6 knowing they won’t have their choice still available at 9 and 10/11.
Sorry oh great one, clearly I'm just an idiot then.

from a different game

#16 Jevan Phillipou
Forward | 180cm | 30/03/2007

Stats:
19 disposals, 11 marks, 4 inside 50s, 1 goal

Phillipou was back to his usual self on Saturday, providing a capable link-up option on the attack and also getting dangerous inside 50. The bottom-ager’s clean hands and ability to lose opponents with pirouettes helped manufacture chances on goal, either by snapping towards the big sticks or centring to the hot spot. Phillipou was not afraid to use either foot and got good range on some of his kicks, although he shanked a 50m set shot after the half time siren and copped a nasty falcon hitting up at a bouncing ball in term four.

... pirouettes you say? I'm having deja pou

Can they bring in a brother-brother system next year

Sorry oh great one, clearly I'm just an idiot then.
I didn’t say you were an idiot.

I wasn’t implying that at all. But you wanted to discuss the impacts of what we might get at 7.

If North aren’t in those top 6 picks - it’s highly unlikely a tall gets called out unless Richmond or Melbourne panic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've got it on good authority that he signed a deal when he joined our academy that he would only kick on his opposite foot, expiring preseason 2025, but anyone worth their salt in here would know that
Back in my cricket days, my mate used to troll the opposition by throwing with his left hand for the first few overs before piffing in a rocket the first time they try take on his arm.

Haha yeah we go down despite our development and improvement towards the end of the season because we lost battle and Tom Campbell!
Wake up. We also lost Seb Ross and James Van Es. Coupled with the losses of Dunstan, Billings, and Bytel of recent years, we will be lucky not to get relegated.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sorry but that is an absolute bog ordinary midfield. Like everyone, I desperately hope Pou (a) becomes the player we want him to become and (b) stays at the Saints. But as we sit today, he has a couple of very good games versus a generally ordinary year.

Steele - I don't know, give him another year, two at A grade level? That might be hoping for too much.
McCrae - probably similar comment as above. Neither of them are in the top 20 mids in the AFL - is Steele in top 30? Probably still hanging in there.
Dow, Clark - just no. Can do a job but not much more.
Garcia - who knows, I hope so.
Jones - if we get anoter 20 games out of him he will be batting above career average.

So as we sit today, it is likely the next time we should be challenging - maybe 26 (?) we will have midfield led by Pou and supported by Windy, a 31 year old Steele and a 33 year old McCrae and hopefully Garcia has come on. Dark nights ahead.

That is my argument to stay focussed and target the best mids available at our picks this year. Hopefully we pluck a couple and go hard at a free agent next year.

Some pretty ordinary midfields have flags. I'd say that's plenty if they stay fit. Our biggest issue this year was the ridiculous amount of injury to mids. Clark, Dow, Ross, Henry, Jones, Windhager, Crouch, Hall and Hotton all went down. Even Steele played through injury. If you add wings we also lost Wood.

Once we had numbers back we looked a lot more competitive. Dow and Jones both looked very good by the end of the year and Clark was solid and showed hie might be done yet too.

Didn't say it was good, also said we should draft two quality mids. Have been on the mids bandwagon for a decade.
However I did not find it a fluke we beat Sydney, Geelong, Carlton, Essendon etc once we got a semblance of our mids back.
We need mids but not more 'bang average' mids if that's all that is left.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Our outside run and rebound are top notch. It means that our mids can be a bit more average.

The argument of we looked better when mids returned from injury is obviously correct, but Steele and Jones...both of whom were our better mids in our run at the end of the season aren't getting any younger, the same goes for Brad Hill & Mason Wood, both of which are our wings. We have Windhager, Pou, and Dow as the next links in the chain, with Wilson and Byrnes following. Pou and Wilson are the likeliest to become A graders or genuine stars. Also more likely to be rotated elsewhere around the ground. That leaves Windy...potentially a very good player, but more of a role type, and Byrnes and Dow...probably more solid without being outstanding types.
Clark played well towards the end there, and brings something different to the table, but he's probably trade bait at some stage, and is injury prone. If we could get an upgrade on his output through youth I'd be happy.
Garcia, too early to tell...but promising.
We need more mids, to both rotate through, but also to give us better punch, once the older crew are gone (2-4 years time)

Last edited:
I didn’t say you were an idiot.

I wasn’t implying that at all. But you wanted to discuss the impacts of what we might get at 7.

If North aren’t in those top 6 picks - it’s highly unlikely a tall gets called out unless Richmond or Melbourne panic.
Which is why it’s nice we’re being linked with talls. Unless of course we really do 😳. But I’d prefer to assume that we are being deceitful 🤫

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back