List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.3

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm keen to hear from someone about the reasoning for keeping Jones but getting rid of Membrey?

I get that we want to give opportunity to Hammer, Sharman etc but can't you say the same of our young mids?

If we get injuries or form issues with out forwards we look very thin there. Membrey was quite clearly a best 22 player.
I think it's about doing the right thing by Membrey tbh.

It seems we offered him a one year deal so we're happy to keep him. But if he can get more security for his future, we're happy for him to take a multi year deal elsewhere.

It's unlikely anyone else would want Jones and he probably isn't held in as high esteem so a one year deal was the best for both parties.

MacCrae
Heard Sam Edmonds and I Cornes on Breakfast SEN both without any hint of venom or agenda, saying MacCrae is probably, 1)not suited to the way footy is played these days and 2) not really what the doctor ordered in St Kilda’s case. (But good luck to him etc etc)
Crouch
Remember people saying Crouch was not fit Round One, but played? And then late season, it is revealed that he needed one game to ‘trigger a clause’ ..

In the case of MacCrae I am just grateful we have him and I can’t wait for him to stick it to all the doubters

In the case of Crouch, I am perplexed. Do clubs and player’s managers sit down and agree to circumnavigate the very rules they (apparently) put in place??
I was listening to them talk about it. I don’t think Cornes watches many St Kilda games.
I actually think he is what we need, excluding the desperate need for a star onballer.
They agreed we need midfield speed but we also need a big contested, clearance winning mid, who can feed it to the outside. They also said we need good ball users.
Macrae is a great ball user, clearance player, gut runner, contested pig, tackling machine. Not known for leg speed but has a high footy IQ and speed of mind.
His biggest strength to us will be feeding it to the likes of Hill, Henry, Sinclair and Wilson.
From all reports he’s a great trainer and gets everything out of himself. He has a premiership and 3 AAs. He will be invaluable to the young crew like Pou, Garcia and Windy.
He’s an upgrade on Crouch who we desperately missed this year and a massive upgrade on Ross.
If we can nail this draft with a couple of developing mids we get at least 3 years of on field coaching/leadership/training standards for them to learn from.

Tim Membrey has passed required medical assessments and will join Collingwood on November 1 as a delisted free agent.

I'm keen to hear from someone about the reasoning for keeping Jones but getting rid of Membrey?

I get that we want to give opportunity to Hammer, Sharman etc but can't you say the same of our young mids?

If we get injuries or form issues with out forwards we look very thin there. Membrey was quite clearly a best 22 player.
Jones is probably okay with playing VFL because it's 1 year with us or no career.

Membrey had options beyond Sandy.

MacCrae
Heard Sam Edmonds and I Cornes on Breakfast SEN both without any hint of venom or agenda, saying MacCrae is probably, 1)not suited to the way footy is played these days and 2) not really what the doctor ordered in St Kilda’s case. (But good luck to him etc etc)
Crouch
Remember people saying Crouch was not fit Round One, but played? And then late season, it is revealed that he needed one game to ‘trigger a clause’ ..

In the case of MacCrae I am just grateful we have him and I can’t wait for him to stick it to all the doubters

In the case of Crouch, I am perplexed. Do clubs and player’s managers sit down and agree to circumnavigate the very rules they (apparently) put in place??
Any commentator who doesn't think a mature, ball winning accumulator isnt exactly what we need didn't watch us play last year. It's exactly what we need to support Steele and the developing mids.

You would have to consider 7 being traded down.

Only club that has picks that kinda appeal are the giants. But when you work out what you hope the draft order looks like.

Do you miss too much talent you like?
Im probably of the preference that we need high level quality rather than quantity and so we should use 7 and 8 for that reason. Outside of that, a small slide for someone we love and can still get.

I think it's about doing the right thing by Membrey tbh.

It seems we offered him a one year deal so we're happy to keep him. But if he can get more security for his future, we're happy for him to take a multi year deal elsewhere.

It's unlikely anyone else would want Jones and he probably isn't held in as high esteem so a one year deal was the best for both parties.

Good decision for Tim and a no brainer for him, bad decision for us and one that can, and frankly I think will, very easily come back to bite us.

Good decision for Tim and a no brainer for him, bad decision for us and one that can, and frankly I think will, very easily come back to bite us.
Maybe. Members spent a fair amount of time in the VFL last year and only played a handful of genuinely good games. Consider we're tryng to fit all of Sharman/Camniiti/Owens and potentially Keeler into that forward line it makes sense that he is going to be left out.

The one year was fair.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he’s been a great servant to the club but unless a few of them go down injured I’m not sure it will be a huge impact.

Regardless of Membrey I also hope the pies have an absolute stinker. And I think with a few injuries they easily could

Rayner was awesome in the prelim
That’s not really the point I’m making about the type of player he is.

He isn’t a predominant midfielder.

So Lalor who closely resembles Rayner - terrifies me that he will follow the same path.

Jagga is a true genuine mid.

FOS is a Rozee clone (type of player, they have different attributes) in my eyes and if we had the choice. I’d prefer him to Lalor.

That’s not really the point I’m making about the type of player he is.

He isn’t a predominant midfielder.

So Lalor who closely resembles Rayner - terrifies me that he will follow the same path.

Jagga is a true genuine mid.

FOS is a Rozee clone (type of player, they have different attributes) in my eyes and if we had the choice. I’d prefer him to Lalor.
It's really difficult, both haven't got the greatest body of work this year for us to compare. We would be buying on potential and upside. I think both will be absolute winners but FOS at the moment is the safer bet. Jagga would be nice but I don't think we will trade up to 2 just to get him. you would for the other 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back