Daniel McL

Brownlow Medallist
May 21, 2014
ACT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
After that terrible performance vs Richmond we either play Sydney or Essendon next Friday night in what could possibly be our last game of 2017, especially if we play like we did vs Richmond.

What changes will we make?

Assume the entire 22 who played vs Richmond should be dropped?

If we play Sydney are we any chance?

Leave your thoughts here :thumbsu:

All the hand-wringing about last night's disaster can stay in the autopsy thread for now as we discuss changes for Friday night v the winner of Sydney/Essendon.

C. Guthrie is a certain out and it seems Kolodjashnij is too - notwithstanding any additional omissions.

A small silver lining is that the Swans and Bombers both play tall forward lines (Buddy/Tippett/Reid, Daniher/Hooker/Stewart) which suits our setup better.

Z. Guthrie was one of our better performed players last night, will he retain his spot or was he brought in solely to play on a Richmond small?

IN: Menzel, Buzza/Stanley, Cockatoo (if ready, Lang if not), Thurlow

OUT: C. Guthrie (inj), Kolodjashnij (inj), Motlop (omit), Z. Guthrie (omit)

There will be an preview thread for this game, and open soon, but the Mods are holding it over until the start of the week.

Too much venting and vitriol still flying around. Not saying its not warranted - it is - but lets get more of it out first.

GO Catters

Who do you expect to win today's game? Who will you want to win?

Will you actually attend next week if the Swans win?

I hope the Bombers win because I at least have belief we can beat them, but think the Swans will get over the line. I will be there Friday night hoping for a miracle regardless.

Going to the movies next friday night is probably the best option for geelong supporters.

That said our only chance is if we man up their spares (have a 9 man forward line if necessary) and change our zone to not leave space out the back, and play chip keepings off until their flood moves and then hit leads. It works for hawthorn.

If we bomb into our forward line 3 times in the first quarter you can give up on the result.

I expect we will lose by 60-100 but i hope i am wrong. It will be a sad way to farewell lonners and mack if it happens.

All the hand-wringing about last night's disaster can stay in the autopsy thread for now as we discuss changes for Friday night v the winner of Sydney/Essendon.

C. Guthrie is a certain out and it seems Kolodjashnij is too - notwithstanding any additional omissions.

A small silver lining is that the Swans and Bombers both play tall forward lines (Buddy/Tippett/Reid, Daniher/Hooker/Stewart) which suits our setup better.

Z. Guthrie was one of our better performed players last night, will he retain his spot or was he brought in solely to play on a Richmond small?

IN: Menzel, Buzza/Stanley, Cockatoo (if ready, Lang if not), Thurlow

OUT: C. Guthrie (inj), Kolodjashnij (inj), Motlop (omit), Z. Guthrie (omit)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the Swans it is
flwIorD.jpg

We're a big chance.

Assuming Franklin, Hannebery, Kennedy, Parker, Rampe, Grundy, Heeney and McVeigh all get injured at training next week.

Given how we played last night we are no chance. And yet I think we are more of a chance with Sydney at full strength and raging favorites than if they (or any other team) are depleted.

A lot to address this week, disfunctional ball movement, no targets up forward and not making any use of Smiths hitouts were huge issues last night.

Taylor needs to play in defence, he offered nothing.

We absorbed pressure well last night, that will be a necessity again, but there needs to be some functional attack to back it up.

I've backed in Scott and the club repeatedly over the last few years, but from here if we fail to win another final and at least compete in the prelim then there has to be changes over the summer. Scott will see out his current contract, the club can't be expected to swallow that kind of loss, but there needs to be some new brains added to that coaches box, that is non-negotiable at this point.

Surprisingly optimistic about this game.
Massive plus Guthrie and Kolo aren't playing. Would have to be 2 of the worst in the whole comp to get regular AFL games this year.
Also Selwood will be better for the run and no bye this week.
Our coach will cop heat this week so he might actually get his head outta his own arse and learn something from the last 3 times we've played them.
Also Menz will be a big in compared to last year ( bar silly selection issues)
We might win!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back