Preview ‪1st SF - Geelong vs Sydney, Friday 15th September, 7:50pm @ MCG ‬

Who will win

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going in with less than zero confidence

But I'll get my night sorted and watch every minute, and hope, and barrack and swear...
In a 2 horse race you are always some % of a chance..

Let's throw caution to the wind, take the game on...
It's kick shit or bust time..

We lose anyway, **** losing playing slow safe garbage

I know this might be some radical thinking, but why don't we try the forward line set up that worked so well for the last three games of the year?

Hawkins as CHF, Buzza as FF, Taylor as third tall and Menzel as the wildcard.

Sydney doesn't have a massively quick back 6, but you need to engage them all. Can't have Rampe, Grundy and the like sagging off playing free.

Hawkins to take Rampe up and back, Buzza to crash into Grundy every time the ball comes into the F50, Taylor to roam or if needed roll back onto Reid or Sinclair, Menzel to occupy Smith and if he does play have Motlop play on Jones as a true defensive forward who can be dangerous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Outs: Parsons, Kolo & Cuthrie
Ins: Menzel, Thurlow & Buzza

Start Taylor as a loose in defence to not allow them any quick, easy goals in the first 5 minutes.

And either drop Motlop for Lang or Simpson (Zuthrie handled last night better than more senior counterparts, so why not his prepubescent mate?), but if they won't drop Motlop instruct him to not leave our forward 50 and get front and centre to every contest

OUT: C Guthrie (INJ), Kolo (INJ), Z Guthrie, Parsons, Parfitt

IN: Lang, Ruggles, Thurlow, Menzel, Cockatoo (if fit).

If Cockatoo doesnt come up then Parsons gets a reprieve (only just), though i can see Parfitt getting the nod unless he gets suspended for that hit (one would hope not but he does play for Geelong so who knows?).

We have to win the contest, that means hunting Sydney, bringing pressure to force the turnover. This means bringing players in who have the bodies capable of repeat efforts and playing out the game. Zuthrie and Parfitt especially arent that kind of player yet. Adding a tall into the team (Buzza/Stanley) wont help us win the contest, if anything, we could throw Taylor back and only play Hawkins and the resting ruckman up forward. The key is to get numbers around the contest, especially once the ball goes inside forward 50. So if we fail to mark the ball we have numbers at the bottom of the pack to win it and create genuine scoring opportunities. Last night after Hawkins and Taylor went for the same mark, spoiled each other, and the ball fell to ground, it was met with 3 or 4 Richmond defenders who just walked out of our forward line. That cant happen again.

Lang gets minutes in the midfield, which frees up Motlop to play forward of the ball. Give Motlop the license to take risks up forward and we will be rewarded. Ask him to play a defensive role on a wing again like last night and we are wasting our time. Ruggles plays the Zuthrie defensive role from last night but with the capacity to chase and tackle over 4 quarters. Thurlow plays on a wing to utilize his run and elite kicking to go inside 50, a role he is much more suited to than Kolo ever was. This could allow Murdoch to float more forward of the ball and use his height to link up on transition or rebound from opposition kicks coming outside our forward 50. His pace can also prove problematic for opposition defenders. And Menzel is the obvious third option, mid-size marking, creative forward we lacked for all of last nights game. Menzel playing forward means Menegola goes into the midfield rather than playing across half forward for much of the game.

Cockatoo would be a huge x-factor for us, especially his inside 50 tackling, but i dont want to put too much emphasis on him as he still seems unlikely at this point. All of these ins are risks as they have missed a lot of game time, but they balance the team up much better, and give us a greater chance of winning the contest than keeping the kids in. And it allows players like Motlop, Menegola, and Murdoch to play their preferred positions where they can be more damaging. It is a roll of the dice, especially bringing in guys like Lang and Ruggles who havent played for weeks, but thats the point we are at now.

Surprisingly optimistic about this game.
Massive plus Guthrie and Kolo aren't playing. Would have to be 2 of the worst in the whole comp to get regular AFL games this year.
Also Selwood will be better for the run and no bye this week.
Our coach will cop heat this week so he might actually get his head outta his own arse and learn something from the last 3 times we've played them.
Also Menz will be a big in compared to last year ( bar silly selection issues)
We might win!!
Guthrie was good last night. Martin's dominance coinciding with Guthrie's injury isn't all that coincidental.

Not liking our chances for this week. Having said that though, I was probably overconfident going into last night and we got flogged, and thought we'd get smashed against GWS earlier in the year, and we had a chance to win it after the siren. Hopefully my pessimism pays off again.

I'm going in with less than zero confidence

But I'll get my night sorted and watch every minute, and hope, and barrack and swear...
In a 2 horse race you are always some % of a chance..

Let's throw caution to the wind, take the game on...
It's kick shit or bust time..

We lose anyway, **** losing playing slow safe garbage
I really really hope we play unafraid of losing rather than playing not to lose like we did on Friday.

Take the game on take some risks, be bold, rather than the dower bs method we played the other night.

Hoping we actually come out with the idea of playing real football this week, not some vanilla, defensive, over-coached rubbish that we served up last night. Back to the basics, get the ball, look forward and just back your mates in and go.

Lang, Menzel, Thurlow, Stanley, Cockatoo if fit, all in the mix, shake the side up and throw the coaching manual out the bloody window for this one. Let them have a crack and see how we measure up. Stranger things have happened in footy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back