Preview ‪1st SF - Geelong vs Sydney, Friday 15th September, 7:50pm @ MCG ‬

Who will win

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Effort won't be the problem, actually don't think it was on Friday either until the margin got past 3 goals and we gave up.

Confidence and skill execution will be the issue. The Swans have been so clean with their disposal into 50 and clearing stoppages.

That is the big difference.

These comforting words from Hawkins and Dangerfield mean nothing to me as I don't question the player's commitment. I question our talent and skills to get the job done.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2017-09-11/in-the-mix-semifinal-v-swans

Fans will note that neither Cocky nor GHS are listed as being in the mix. Nor Stanley, who is fit. Thurlow has played ones more recently and might have the edge on Lang, but both are good. And it might be both.

Excuse me if someone else has already noted that Selwood was not the only injured player to come back too soon. Agree with the poster (sorry forget who) who said Parsons’ defence did not offset lack of Menzel’s attack. He can usually jag a snag or two and that was meant to be the difference.

I have noted talk of Menz being dropped for disciplinary reasons. I don’t know what ‘FB’ is code for, but that plus turps or whatever, I still doubt it’s enough. Even being out of love with his defence might not be enough. Menz played vs Hawks in QF last year then I recall was not able to play in the Prelim. Perhaps the mindset was also let’s not let that happen again, given we have the double chance. 2011 QF first qtr, he was the guy who kept us in the game vs Hawks and I think that would not be forgotten. Also Cats had a good number of goal kickers vs GWS and perhaps this led to a delusion of forward-line adequacy that proved to be considerable.

Likely outs are: Kolo, C Guthrie, Parsons (all inj.) plus one. And in Menzel, Buzza (please), Thurlow/Lang.

Benny Cas’s views are sobering. I voted for loss by a million or more but hope springs eternal.

Fb = Facebook

Effort

These comforting words from Hawkins and Dangerfield mean nothing to me as I don't question the player's commitment. I question our talent and skills to get the job done.

Even if Geel come out with great effort ( at half time in the Dogs game - Paul Roos said Geel pressure has been unbelievable ) is Geelongs forward line has been so unreliable/ dysfunctional for years ( Brad Johnson came in to help ) - like the Richmond game - hardly had a goal to half time

The only hope in hell - is if they could kick 2-3 goals quickly at the start of the game ( and thus get confident ) - but how long is it since that actually happened

Should Sydney be Favorites? Yes

But you know what, the last 2 years they have gotten us at the right time, players out, off the bye.

I don't think the gap is as big as what the media is making out.

This is a chance for a few new names to appear in lights, and for Paddy to remind everyone how brilliant he is.

Cats by 15 points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched a video on Instagram of the Cats training today.

Kolojasnij, Stanley and more importantly Cockatoo all in the main group training.

Great news IMO
After watching kolodjashnij crap his pants under pressure I'm not so sure it is.

Channel 7 were so busy bleating about the ******* Tigers that they forgot to get one of our players suspended

Was there any players in question?

Sorry the great news part was more directed at Cockatoo training, especially considering there was talks of him having an injury setback
Cockatoo strikes fear into the opposition. I'd play him even on one leg if it means some who are afraid of physical contact like Kolodjashnij aren't selected.

Just watched a video on Instagram of the Cats training today.

Kolojasnij, Stanley and more importantly Cockatoo all in the main group training.

Great news IMO
I watched that...

Then I watched it twice more to try see what he was doing, unfortunately all I saw was him standing around... BUT he was seemingly involved and not wearing the dreaded non contact pink hat... so who knows.
Maybe we were being sneaky buggers leaking he had a set back?

Out: CGuthrie (inj) Kolo (inj) Parsons (inj??) ZGuthrie
young zack unlucky but he will get more games next year.

In: Thurlow, Menzel, Buzza/Stanley, Cocky (if fit)/Lang

In two minds about Buzza or Stanley, neither are terribly convincing, although Buzza has his whole career in front of him. Worried that Stanley might screw up and have no doubt Buzza will throw himself into the fray. would be inclined to have him there although if Stanley is in form we will get more from him hmmmm.

As I said earlier, this is our Grand Final, if we can beat the Swans we can beat the rest. However one week at a time. It looms as the hardest game I have seen in years, and if we play like we did against the Giants a couple of weeks ago we will definitely give it a shake; although would probably still come up short given how strong the Swans look, but perhaps their minds are on other things and they may go in thinking they have already won.

Cockatoo strikes fear into the opposition. I'd play him even on one leg if it means some who are afraid of physical contact like Kolodjashnij aren't selected.

Play him out of the goal square, tell him he can't leave it
The Gary Rohan role suits him the best IMO
I didn't see the Kolo incident as I'm still too disappointed to watch the replay

I watched that...

Then I watched it twice more to try see what he was doing, unfortunately all I saw was him standing around... BUT he was seemingly involved and not wearing the dreaded non contact pink hat... so who knows.
Maybe we were being sneaky buggers leaking he had a set back?

I watched it like 5 times to see if there was any other faces in there who are meant to be injured

"Scans have revealed that Geelong midfielder Cameron Guthrie suffered a low grade calf strain in Friday night’s clash with Richmond. He will be unavailable for this week’s semi-final against Sydney and will be reassessed next week.

Jake Kolodjashnij has been cleared to play against the Swans and trained with the group today."

From the Cats website. Definitely didn't look like only a 1-week injury for Guthrie...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back