Preview ‪1st SF - Geelong vs Sydney, Friday 15th September, 7:50pm @ MCG ‬

Who will win

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2017-09-11/in-the-mix-semifinal-v-swans

Fans will note that neither Cocky nor GHS are listed as being in the mix. Nor Stanley, who is fit. Thurlow has played ones more recently and might have the edge on Lang, but both are good. And it might be both.

Excuse me if someone else has already noted that Selwood was not the only injured player to come back too soon. Agree with the poster (sorry forget who) who said Parsons’ defence did not offset lack of Menzel’s attack. He can usually jag a snag or two and that was meant to be the difference.

I have noted talk of Menz being dropped for disciplinary reasons. I don’t know what ‘FB’ is code for, but that plus turps or whatever, I still doubt it’s enough. Even being out of love with his defence might not be enough. Menz played vs Hawks in QF last year then I recall was not able to play in the Prelim. Perhaps the mindset was also let’s not let that happen again, given we have the double chance. 2011 QF first qtr, he was the guy who kept us in the game vs Hawks and I think that would not be forgotten. Also Cats had a good number of goal kickers vs GWS and perhaps this led to a delusion of forward-line adequacy that proved to be considerable.

Likely outs are: Kolo, C Guthrie, Parsons (all inj.) plus one. And in Menzel, Buzza (please), Thurlow/Lang.

Benny Cas’s views are sobering. I voted for loss by a million or more but hope springs eternal.

Last edited:
Re: The attitude needs a shift, there's still a vein of arrogance running through this club. Sydney have suffered the same in recent years in my book too,

For a few minutes I was thinking that our best weapon was Swans' likely sense of certainty, which is also their best weapon, of course. But then I recalled: they have the drive of a lost 2016 GF and we have the drive of lesser things.

Is it true that we've not played a non-GF final during the day since 2011 Prelim?

If so, that's a bit crap. Night games are great and all, but it's a bit of a pain to get to a night game in Melbourne for a large chunk of our supporters (Geelong/Regional) - especially supporters with kids.

Yep its absolute rubbish.

Maybe they should try a Malcolm Blight trick from the 1989 semi-final after being thrashed by Essendon the week before.
Start the game with Selwood & Dangerfield on the bench.

Thats the problem with Scott - he wont try anything like that

Blight put Mick Mansfield ( a half back flanker ) to full forward after half time in a game against Collingwood at Victoria Park - Mansfield kicked 7 goals - Geel win

Billy Goggin did exactly the same thing with Bernard Toohey - in a game against Richmond in the early 80s ( when they were very strong ) - 6 2nd half goals .

All Scott is good for - is a late change - Chris loves a late change - talk about an unimaginative coach .

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2017-09-11/in-the-mix-semifinal-v-swans

Fans will note that neither Cocky nor GHS are listed as being in the mix. Nor Stanley, who is fit. Thurlow has played ones more recently and might have the edge on Lang, but both are good. And it might be both.

Excuse me if someone else has already noted that Selwood was not the only injured player to come back too soon. Agree with the poster (sorry forget who) who said Parsons’ defence did not offset lack of Menzel’s attack. He can usually jag a snag or two and that was meant to be the difference.

I have noted talk of Menz being dropped for disciplinary reasons. I don’t know what ‘FB’ is code for, but that plus turps or whatever, I still doubt it’s enough. Even being out of love with his defence might not be enough. Menz played vs Hawks in QF last year then I recall was not able to play in the Prelim. Perhaps the mindset was also let’s not let that happen again, given we have the double chance. 2011 QF first qtr, he was the guy who kept us in the game vs Hawks and I think that would not be forgotten. Also Cats had a good number of goal kickers vs GWS and perhaps this led to a delusion of forward-line adequacy that proved to be considerable.

Likely outs are: Kolo, C Guthrie, Parsons (all inj.) plus one. And in Menzel, Buzza (please), Thurlow/Lang.

Benny Cas’s views are sobering. I voted for loss by a million or more but hope springs eternal.
Selwood certainly had to get the run so have no issue re playing him. He will be better this week. They just got the Menzel decision wrong-worried about the opposition instead of maximising our own game. Inexplicable rookie coaching error to me.

Selwood certainly had to get the run so have no issue re playing him. He will be better this week. They just got the Menzel decision wrong-worried about the opposition instead of maximising our own game. Inexplicable rookie coaching error to me.
Agree. We probably would've still lost but at least we may have kicked a goal before close to half time if Menzel was in.

I expect a brutal response Friday night... If not i will be filthy.
It will also be quite annoying as well to see a change in application given what we dished up Friday night

My only expectation Friday night is the club's expectation of a brutal response.

This game should be judged, as the cliche goes, a line-in-the-sand game.

Careers on the line and all that stuff - and not just the players.

Can't think of a game that's been more important for many years, especially one in which the odds are stacked against us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope they have a good look at what happened last year around the stoppages. They need to man up and play the ball on it's merits. The swans are not a team you can afford to second guess.

Also ideally just one person at a time going for the ball on the ground. Don't leave swans free on the outside of packs.

Hope we see a titanic effort of guts and determination even if it leaves us sore for the next week.

Bring in Ruggles? yeah he has the right attitude for this one.
Cocky too if good to go.
And Buzza!!! the guy packs some weight. Put Taylor back to help out.
Menz in.

Are 4 changes too many?

No funny games this time round. Just ruthless endeavor. Anyone not prepared for that can watch from the stands.

Thats the problem with Scott - he wont try anything like that

Blight put Mick Mansfield ( a half back flanker ) to full forward after half time in a game against Collingwood at Victoria Park - Mansfield kicked 7 goals - Geel win

Billy Goggin did exactly the same thing with Bernard Toohey - in a game against Richmond in the early 80s ( when they were very strong ) - 6 2nd half goals .

All Scott is good for - is a late change - Chris loves a late change - talk about an unimaginative coach .
Why don't you put that in the "I hate Chris Scott" thread, that is what its for. This is about the semi-final vs Sydney.

My only expectation Friday night is the club's expectation of a brutal response.

This game should be judged, as the cliche goes, a line-in-the-sand game.

Careers on the line and all that stuff - and not just the players.

Can't think of a game that's been more important for many years, especially one in which the odds are stacked against us.

100% agree - a true line in the sand game
Serve up another effort like Friday night and that will be 2 : 7 since the 2011 Flag - Cook to dust off the 2016 Review template and get to work
We are starting to resemble the pre 2007 Geelong when we promised much but couldn't deliver

Taylor MUST play back. Our defence is infinitely better with him there and Buzza is the anointed 2nd KPF for 2018, so no reason not, particularly with Sydney's talks. I feel Henderson doesn't handle the role of number 1 defender well in terms of leadership.
Also I note that some, if not all, of our best performances this year have been where we have been "undermanned" or under the pump. Think both GWS games, Bulldogs etc
This is a wonderful opportunity for this group. Nothing, yet everything to lose against easily the best team in the comp on their home deck.
I also note for all those Guthrie haters that Martin got completely off the leash after Guthrie's injury. He adds serious pace and spark to our mid-field and will need some imagination from the MC/CS to cover.
Cocky, if fit, MUST play also. No more chances. Buzza's not ready but adds grunt and energy.
Positives are Lonergan's form on Buddy. We do have a number of bigger bodied mids to match theirs. I would bring in Ruggles/Lang, Buzza, Cocky and Menzel.
This is an important game for Menegola. Another poor finals performance will sow some big seeds of doubt in his mind. I think Blicavs will be significant this game. Players often have a crappy 2nd game back from LTI. Selwood will play out of his skin and Danger must calm the **** down and not try to win off his own boot.
I suggest a 7 man defence from the outset. Then finish that way.

Taylor MUST play back. Our defence is infinitely better with him there and Buzza is the anointed 2nd KPF for 2018, so no reason not, particularly with Sydney's talks. I feel Henderson doesn't handle the role of number 1 defender well in terms of leadership.
Also I note that some, if not all, of our best performances this year have been where we have been "undermanned" or under the pump. Think both GWS games, Bulldogs etc
This is a wonderful opportunity for this group. Nothing, yet everything to lose against easily the best team in the comp on their home deck.
I also note for all those Guthrie haters that Martin got completely off the leash after Guthrie's injury. He adds serious pace and spark to our mid-field and will need some imagination from the MC/CS to cover.
Cocky, if fit, MUST play also. No more chances. Buzza's not ready but adds grunt and energy.
Positives are Lonergan's form on Buddy. We do have a number of bigger bodied mids to match theirs. I would bring in Ruggles/Lang, Buzza, Cocky and Menzel.

I'd lay Lang in front of Ruggles. Think we have enough defenders in this team already. We need more small forwards/running mids.

On a positive note, I think our players will be solely focused on this weeks game. Sydney will have one eye on Adelaide next week. That is the hope anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back