Player Watch #10 Maurice Rioli Jnr Re-Signed 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

My favourite basketball play from a second year tiger…

Go to 1:14:55

Remember this moment so clearly, when I knew he would be an absolute Lord.

Love dimma pissing him self laughing after dusty goal

of course; got all of his hlightlights for the match :) Had fun cramming them all into one minute ;) slow it down, frame by frame it if you need to :)

bloke cant be tackled

Junior has highlighted the importance of returning to what made us a feared and powerful side over the past 5 years - pressure! In particular - forward pressure! MRJ brings that in spades and his tackling and chase downs set up multiple goals and became infectious to the rest of the team.

Having a genuinely quick small forward, who is defensive minded, shuts down the oppositions half back rebounds and their ability to slowing work their way through our zone.

Now the only way that this is possible is by moving Baker and, in particular, Balta back into defense. It has allowed a better balance up forward and a much stronger backline. This enables our midfielders to be more attacking and our game style to be more aggressive and fast. Our team now has the confidence to take the required risks knowing that our defense will mop up the majority of turnovers if a mistake occurs.

Just goes to show what the trickle on effect the inclusion of one player can make to our mis/fortunes....

IT wasn't a long time ago that many here were saying he is miles away from playing AFL.

It seems like yesterday, its great that he was given the chance, and as a keen observer, some players rise to the occasion when they're playing AFL.
MRJ found another gear, that shows some great character. Always knew he would do it.

IT wasn't a long time ago that many here were saying he is miles away from playing AFL.

It seems like yesterday, its great that he was given the chance, and as a keen observer, some players rise to the occasion when they're playing AFL.
MRJ found another gear, that shows some great character. Always knew he would do it.
Not me …I’m a fan….

there are players that need to play at AFL because they can mix it and thrive on the big time
M J is one…you can see he gets bored at VFL

How do you get your hands on pressure related statistics? “Pressure points” or other related stats? Would love to see how George and MJ go amongst others. And also see how closely our form correlates to pressure.
Maurice for mine is already classes better than George as a footy player. No contest if I had to play only one, not even close.

How do you get your hands on pressure related statistics? “Pressure points” or other related stats? Would love to see how George and MJ go amongst others. And also see how closely our form correlates to pressure.

RP got into the match centre on AFL.com.au

Choose the player stats tab.

Now you have another list of tabs below that.

Choose my stats.

There is a popup with “manage fields” written on it with a perpendicular orientation. Click the plus at the top of this popup.

You can then select all the fields you want for the match, then “confirm” with the tick at the top right hand side of the screen. I can’t seem to get season averages so you may need to go into each match individually.

Choose my stats.

There is a popup with “manage fields” written on it with a perpendicular orientation. Click the plus at the top of this popup.

You can then select all the fields you want for the match, then “confirm” with the tick at the top right hand side of the screen. I can’t seem to get season averages so you may need to go into each match individually.
Thanks MR . So damn good to be able to access that extra information. Do you know how or where to get heat maps?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks MR . So damn good to be able to access that extra information. Do you know how or where to get heat maps?

Heatmaps you need to AFL App, only available on your smartphone or Ipad or tablet I think.

1. On the menu on the bottom select “matches”

2. Select the round and match you want.

3. From the menu now select “players”

4. Select the player you want.

5. Scroll down you will see the heatmap for the player in that match.

Very quickly becoming a fan favorite, if he's not already.
Nothing like youthful exuberance, excitement, and that smile and joy you can see when he plays. It's infectious amongst the group.
When you're talented and put in maximum effort like he does as well, you very quickly endear yourselves to the fans.

My worry is that Castagna can get off the ground and take a mark, but I don't think MRJ can do those things, at least not yet.
He doesn't necessarily have to though. And big picture, I'd still take MRJ over Castagnas tenacity in the air. It's not as if Castagna is Toby Greene in the air.

Wait to we get prime time back on Friday nights and this kid does his thing , the world will know all about it ,, give it time
Not Friday but Sat week at Dreamtime at the G - hope we find room for Stack by then too - with D Rioli down back, Picket on the wing, Bolton at mid-forward, Stack at mid-forward and the MRJr doing his stuff, who will give a stuff about the election result....

My worry is that Castagna can get off the ground and take a mark, but I don't think MRJ can do those things, at least not yet.

We’ve seen Rioli take a decent hanger in the VFL this season, so he can do it. But it doesn’t seem to be a big part of his game.

Interesting to hear Balmey yesterday saying words to the effect Rioli is very exciting and they love what he can do, but there are still lots of little things missing from his game that he will add over time. That’s how I see him as well, not quite a finished AFL footballer yet, but fantastic attributes that will get him there.

Choose my stats.

You can then select all the fields you want for the match, then “confirm” with the tick at the top right hand side of the screen. I can’t seem to get season averages so you may need to go into each match

Thanks so much, that’s great!

Would love to have access to champion datas pressure points numbers too but I guess you need to pay for those, which I ain’t doing.

Now I’m wondering how accurate they are reading MJ had only 2 tackles? There’s 2 or 3 just on the match highlights reel…

Thanks so much, that’s great!

Would love to have access to champion datas pressure points numbers too but I guess you need to pay for those, which I ain’t doing.

Now I’m wondering how accurate they are reading MJ had only 2 tackles? There’s 2 or 3 just on the match highlights reel…

I think it comes down to what counts as a tackle. I suspect his fantastic tackle on Maynard that resulted in a goal doesn’t actually count as a tackle in the stats because Maynard disposed of the ball, albeit barely, and straight to the nearby Cotchin. Not sure if it counts as a score launch or 1%er or just a pressure act or what.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #10 Maurice Rioli Jnr Re-Signed 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back