Player Watch #10 Maurice Rioli Jnr Re-Signed 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

He's got some things to work on, but when the choice is going to be him or Aarts I'm taking MRJ every damm day of the week.

We are building for the future, someone like MRJ should be a lock over Aarts. Oh and piss off Castagna for Stack too.

You look at tonight, the inexperience of Rioli, Gibcus and Ross and maybe even Ralphsmith has cost us. But you wear that to let the young guys get the experience and learn. Play them while we can, and no complaints if it costs the odd game. It isn’t likely to cost us a flag but one day it might win us one.

needs to find more space. if jack is being tripled he should be nowhere near oppo defender but for some reason he couldn't get loose.

maybe takes defensive forward too literally as early days.
but i was cracking the shits watching him as a closely checked too small marking target.

obviously a stupid decision by the kicker but yeah, he and our other smalls seemed unable to exploit them triple teaming Jack.

I’d send him to the VFL for a few weeks. Let Cumberland have a go
does he auto play next week cos he debuted as medi sub and didnt come on ? seems a bit harsh to axe him to the 2s after that

His game was very good tonight, but he needs help with another small forward as he's covering twice the area as Castagna is guarding his protected area or known as space.
I agree , at times he’s seriously making up to 3 efforts ,which is all well and good in terms of work rate however pretty ineffective , George spot needs to be tuned over , I’d bring Dow in as he can add to rotations too

Pretty sure you’ll find dimma sticks with mrj, since his inclusion, our f50 tackles have gone from <5 in early rounds to 15-20 and our scoring PEAKING even in a loss we scored 100p , our current brand under the new rules is closest to Richmond footy we’ve been and mrj plays a role in that ,,,,he’ll improve being in seniors

Yeah, I'd give him a rest for a week too in the near future. A bit like Gibcus, a week rest would certainly help for these young guys from time to time.

Yeah, I'd give him a rest for a week too in the near future. A bit like Gibcus, a week rest would certainly help for these young guys from time to time.
Good thing we have a bye this week 😉

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You look at tonight, the inexperience of Rioli, Gibcus and Ross and maybe even Ralphsmith has cost us. But you wear that to let the young guys get the experience and learn. Play them while we can, and no complaints if it costs the odd game. It isn’t likely to cost us a flag but one day it might win us one.

we lost that game due to our leadership failing to be leaders - not because we played some kids. This idea that losing that game was part of our valuable rebuilding strategy is laughable, we lost because of the leadership group, or lack of it. Bad 50's & free kicks against, inability to stop the oppo and wrestle back momentum etc

What game were you watching? This was not a loss we wore due to "giving the kids a go", it was a loss we wore as Dusty, Bolton, Toby, Jack Grimes etc all fell flat in standing up and leading when the game was under attack. If anything the game was more an inditement on our ageing squad than any result of us playing the kids etc

All the 2nd half fadeouts since 2022 have been a breakdown of our leadership group, not because we are giving "the kids a go". This loss is an inditement on how us choosing to go "full balls" again vs "rebuilding", no the over way around. Our older squad can't run out games anymore, its why we lose

we lost that game due to our leadership failing to be leaders - not because we played some kids. This idea that losing that game was part of our valuable rebuilding strategy is laughable, we lost because of the leadership group, or lack of it. Bad 50's & free kicks against, inability to stop the oppo and wrestle back momentum etc

What game were you watching? This was not a loss we wore due to "giving the kids a go", it was a loss we wore as Dusty, Bolton, Toby, Jack Grimes etc all fell flat in standing up and leading when the game was under attack. If anything the game was more an inditement on our ageing squad than any result of us playing the kids etc

All the 2nd half fadeouts since 2022 have been a breakdown of our leadership group, not because we are giving "the kids a go". This loss is an inditement on how us choosing to go "full balls" again vs "rebuilding", no the over way around. Our older squad can't run out games anymore, its why we lose
Our 4Q was actually better than our 3rd look at the stats we ultimately headed swans in clearance and contested and closed a huge i50 deficit to -3
All point to a huge 4Q effort 3g6 , we couldn’t finish our work not failed to run it out or those KPI deficits would have clearly blown out

He was phenomenal in that limited time. Clearly loves wet weather footy too. His tackles stick, opponents poop themselves when he's nearby. The goals will come. Must play every single game game with maybe a rest game if he needs it. The goals will come. Opponents treat Castagna with the disrespect he warrants, they won't dare with MRJ.

Personally i dont believe we are a serious premiership threat , We will make finals and possibly win 1 but not a genuine flag contender

Clarke, Mj , Sonsie , Ralphsmith , Ross should be given games to develop and start building for the future

We will carry Edwards to 300 and most likely Cotchin/Riewoldt play on in 23'

Personally i dont believe we are a serious premiership threat , We will make finals and possibly win 1 but not a genuine flag contender

Clarke, Mj , Sonsie , Ralphsmith , Ross should be given games to develop and start building for the future

We will carry Edwards to 300 and most likely Cotchin/Riewoldt play on in 23'

I think that is right unless we can pull a rabbit or two out of the hat late season.

Trying to think of possible jokers in the pack for us….

Balta to defence an obvious one.

Soldo, who I thought was decent last week to improve further over the remainder of the season.

Stack getting himself into the zone another possibility.

Our forward line is the damage but if we could maybe get one of these VFL mids to hit the line hard. Collier-Dawkins or Dow are probably the only pair with sufficient damage in them.

Our depth is not sufficiently strong to stand up to any significant injuries of course so that alone could wipe us out. We would need everything to go right to have any chance including more than one of above occurring, but there is a chance the way things are shaping that anywhere from 4-8 teams could hit finals with a roughly even teams.

Needs to play before Clarke as he runs games out better and is much more advanced defensively and way more creative at this time in their careers.
Was at the game , his 4q effort pressure around the ball and his score involves played their part , , he has a role in starting 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #10 Maurice Rioli Jnr Re-Signed 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back