Player Watch #13 Clayton Oliver – UNPRECEDENTED 4x B&F, 3x AA, 2x AFLCA Winner and Premiership Player (formerly)

Remove this Banner Ad

OK, I've removed about three pages of posts.

Please do not use this thread to speculate about Oliver's private life – medical or otherwise.

Regardless of the veracity of your rumour, or what you know/have heard, if it's not public knowledge, just don't post it.

I don't want to turn this place into Demonland, but if you can't see the potential harm that this sort of rumour-spreading can cause (regardless of your intentions), then perhaps it's best if you take a bit of a break.

Thanks.

Tulip
youtube animation GIF by Channel Frederator

He clearly meant “adversity happens at most clubs but we will get through it” when he was asked about whether we would sink next year?

I’m honestly not sure what else he could say?

Fair bit of 're-framing' shall we say in how the usual posters are representing Gawn's comments. Same old same old.

Bloke said Clarry's got issues and we're gonna help him, and then said we've had a lot of adversity all come at once but we'll deal with it. Not exactly sure what the whingers here expect? 'Yeah nah, club's f**ked mate, I give up'.

I'm as pissed as the next bloke about where we're at at the moment, but at least glad our skip doesn't sook like this board does.

I hope and imagine the club is doing things about this behind the scenes, and I don’t expect we will hear about it because it’s a behind the scenes thing.

We’ll know either way within a few weeks next season.

Fair bit of 're-framing' shall we say in how the usual posters are representing Gawn's comments. Same old same old.

Bloke said Clarry's got issues and we're gonna help him, and then said we've had a lot of adversity all come at once but we'll deal with it. Not exactly sure what the whingers here expect? 'Yeah nah, club's f**ked mate, I give up'.

I'm as pissed as the next bloke about where we're at at the moment, but at least glad our skip doesn't sook like this board does.
Who’s actually sooking? It’s more like cringing/laughing at the delusional stuff. Fine say Clayton’s fine, nobody’s taken umbrage with that. But to talk up your culture which presently looks trash and say it can handle adversity when it’s barely been able to withstand success is laughable. To talk up top 4 was also pretty dumb.

He doesn’t have to piss all over the club but even if it was something along the lines of we’ve let ourselves down the past two seasons and we’ll be doing everything to rectify that, would be far better than the company line which has been naught but hubris and nonsense.

I hope and imagine the club is doing things about this behind the scenes, and I don’t expect we will hear about it because it’s a behind the scenes thing.

We’ll know either way within a few weeks next season.
First step is an independent review. Without one I'm not sure how anything gets fixed. Otherwise how can you trust the outcome if it's determined by the people who have been there the whole time while these issues got out of hand.

The outcome of the worksafe investigation will also be pretty important.

I’m quite disappointed in Gary Pert’s anonymity in all this. IIRC he was pretty strong on substance abuse during his time at Collingwood. Possibly even to detriment of his time as CEO there. The fact this has happened on his watch is piss poor.

It’s more like cringing/laughing at the delusional stuff.

Soooooo sooking then?

Bloke got asked off the cuff questions at a charity event, it wasn't a sit down tell all exclusive members forum rev up. He gave simple honest answers, which is what you expect of your captain at a time like this. Last thing you want is more headlines.

And all he said was that he was bullish that our culture can deal with all this adversity, I mean fair enough for him to say that, we'll see how it pans out, but I don't doubt he believes that.

Just so many on this board that expect 24/7 negativity because it's what they live, but that gets the club nowhere.

Things are a friggin mess, more may come out still, and we'll all crack it I'm sure, but you need different from the club leadership.

I’m quite disappointed in Gary Pert’s anonymity in all this. IIRC he was pretty strong on substance abuse during his time at Collingwood. Possibly even to detriment of his time as CEO there. The fact this has happened on his watch is piss poor.

He's had a ton of meetings with players and their managers the last 2 weeks and has apparently (unconfirmed goss) called in the AFL integrity unit. Agree though that at some stage he and Roffey need to come out and say something for the sake of the members.

Pert feels like a puppet CEO honestly. Hardly ever hear from him unless its to announce something good.

He's had a ton of meetings with players and their managers the last 2 weeks and has apparently (unconfirmed goss) called in the AFL integrity unit. Agree though that at some stage he and Roffey need to come out and say something for the sake of the members.
Yeah, I get they don't want to air all the laundry in the media but its not really clear what's happening behind the scenes or what they're doing to address all the shit that's come out over the past month. Relying on 3rd hand rumours on BF to hear what (might be) happening is very poor communication.

Both Roffey and Pert, front and centre when the going is good, ghosts when they are required to stand in front of camera's and answer some tough questions. Would prefer to just put a signature on an email or statement.

Compare them to Jackson who never shied away from it.

Pert feels like a puppet CEO honestly. Hardly ever hear from him unless its to announce something good.
Roffey a bit similar too unfortunately. More than happy to be out and about when we won the flag but crickets when the club’s under attack or we’re thinking of trading one of highest paid.

Yeah, I get they don't want to air all the laundry in the media but its not really clear what's happening behind the scenes or what they're doing to address all the s**t that's come out over the past month. Relying on 3rd hand rumours on BF to hear what (might be) happening is very poor communication.
It's also offseason with players and staff all across the globe. I think Pert said all the heavy hitters and playing group when they get back from holidays will get together. I dare say we will hear more when that happens next couple of weeks. Not sure what more we can expect this time of year tbh. I'm confident the AFL will get involved in some way now that a positive drug sample has been found along with some alarming stories to go along with it. Sounds like we need an independent review where players and staff can speak their mind openly. But I'm not sure what will come of that anyway? Can't see Goody being sacked or Gawn being stood down. There's probably already a bunch of drug PD's these guys do. But somehow the arrogance needs to stop and the head buried in the sand needs to stop. Clearly issues and Pert/Roffey need to fn stand up right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think any review will be hamstrung by the President and Board having historically backed Goody through the Bartlett situation.

Was vindicated in 2021 but not looking so good now, especially with another 2 year contract before finals.

I just don't think they set up anything that is able to recommend getting rid of Goody, as that means they'll be gone too.

Soooooo sooking then?

Bloke got asked off the cuff questions at a charity event, it wasn't a sit down tell all exclusive members forum rev up. He gave simple honest answers, which is what you expect of your captain at a time like this. Last thing you want is more headlines.

And all he said was that he was bullish that our culture can deal with all this adversity, I mean fair enough for him to say that, we'll see how it pans out, but I don't doubt he believes that.

Just so many on this board that expect 24/7 negativity because it's what they live, but that gets the club nowhere.

Things are a friggin mess, more may come out still, and we'll all crack it I'm sure, but you need different from the club leadership.
I agree mate. I don’t think it’s the place to cause more headlines. As captain at this point he just need to publicly back the club in whilst acknowledging there are some issues. Behind the scenes I’m sure he’s having more of a say. It’s up to Pert and co to come out and publicly discuss the mess we’re in.
And yep some around here have a negative view on everything Melbourne and I’m surprised they can continue to come back here day in and day out.

I hope there’s some serious meetings going on. And would like the AFL to have a look. To sweep this under the carpet would be extremely dangerous and get the club absolutely nowhere.

I agree mate. I don’t think it’s the place to cause more headlines. As captain at this point he just need to publicly back the club in whilst acknowledging there are some issues. Behind the scenes I’m sure he’s having more of a say. It’s up to Pert and co to come out and publicly discuss the mess we’re in.
And yep some around here have a negative view on everything Melbourne and I’m surprised they can continue to come back here day in and day out.
How is it causing more headlines if he says we’re doing everything possible to have a better year next year? It’s probably causing less of a stir than pumping up a culture that looks like a roaring binfire.

If people don’t have negative views on the club. What’s left to discuss? Trac’s ****ing cooking channel.

I have some degree of empathy for the kumbaya nuffies because I used to be one even in the bowels of the Neeld years. However, I’ve never really understood the sanctimonious twaddle of telling others how they should feel/express their opinions or support for the club.

How is it causing more headlines if he says we’re doing everything possible to have a better year next year? It’s probably causing less of a stir than pumping up a culture that looks like a roaring binfire.

If people don’t have negative views on the club. What’s left to discuss? Trac’s ******* cooking channel.

I have some degree of empathy for the kumbaya nuffies because I used to be one even in the bowels of the Neeld years. However, I’ve never really understood the sanctimonious twaddle of telling others how they should feel/express their opinions or support for the club.
I’ve been one of the biggest defenders of the club over the years. At the moment I’m not defending the current predicament we find ourselves in. I just don’t find negativity in every single thing.

I think any review will be hamstrung by the President and Board having historically backed Goody through the Bartlett situation.

Was vindicated in 2021 but not looking so good now, especially with another 2 year contract before finals.

I just don't think they set up anything that is able to recommend getting rid of Goody, as that means they'll be gone too.
If that's the case this will likely only get worse. The self-protective responses to the Bartlett allegations appear to have allowed these issues to fester.

For a review to work, it requires a level of introspection, you have to throw yourselves at the mercy of the person you are trusting to make the assessment. If their recommendations are basically that the top brass at the club have been asleep at the wheel or even responsible for these issues coming up to begin with then you have to accept that and find better people to take their place. If that means taking a significant hit to our soft cap then so be it.

Last edited:

If people don’t have negative views on the club. What’s left to discuss? Trac’s ******* cooking channel.

What you need to remember JK is we won the expected culture stats this past off season, stop looking at the actual results and focus more on the amount of top 4 gets and positive culture affirmations. We had at least 30 more than Collingwood so should have won the flag

Yeah, I get they don't want to air all the laundry in the media but its not really clear what's happening behind the scenes or what they're doing to address all the s**t that's come out over the past month. Relying on 3rd hand rumours on BF to hear what (might be) happening is very poor communication.

Aside from the actual issues themselves, the communication from the club has been my biggest disappointment through all this tbh. No need to hang players out to dry etc, don't need any player bashing, but really since we got knocked out of finals they've given us nothing.

Aside from the actual issues themselves, the communication from the club has been my biggest disappointment through all this tbh. No need to hang players out to dry etc, don't need any player bashing, but really since we got knocked out of finals they've given us nothing.
Yeah. I can kinda understand playing chicken with the media on the Oliver stuff as a kind of kick up the arse for him. For the rest of it, we just look sloppy and stuck behind the eight-ball. I get what Crusty said about folks being away and its the off-season etc, but even a simple 'yes people are away but we're in convos and have set a date for everyone to get together and review'. Give us a timeline or something at least.

Yeah. I can kinda understand playing chicken with the media on the Oliver stuff as a kind of kick up the arse for him. For the rest of it, we just look sloppy and stuck behind the eight-ball. I get what Crusty said about folks being away and its the off-season etc, but even a simple 'yes people are away but we're in convos and have set a date for everyone to get together and review'. Give us a timeline or something at least.

Yeah, but it's the whole thing - not just the recent controversies. Our comms have just fizzled out like our season did.

The Club is between a rock and hard place.

They can't tell the media or supporters what is really happening. It serves no purpose, doesn't help the situation and is problematic when there is a court case happening in the background with their ex-President that is saying the reason he was sacked is because of the goings on at the Club. And the Board knew about it, did nothing about it and chose to effectively sack Bartlett.

The Club is between a rock and hard place.

They can't tell the media or supporters what is really happening. It serves no purpose, doesn't help the situation and is problematic when there is a court case happening in the background with their ex-President that is saying the reason he was sacked is because of the goings on at the Club. And the Board knew about it, did nothing about it and chose to effectively sack Bartlett.
This could well be the case here. It's also the timing of it all. If this was in season, then they'd have no choice but to front up.

It does sound like players and staff are gathering at some point. Not sure if it's a review, or a pow wow or what, but it does sound like when everyone is back Pert will have his say. What that is exactly we don't know. But I'm guessing it won't go anywhere near far enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #13 Clayton Oliver – UNPRECEDENTED 4x B&F, 3x AA, 2x AFLCA Winner and Premiership Player (formerly)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back