Player Watch #13 Clayton Oliver – UNPRECEDENTED 4x B&F, 3x AA, 2x AFLCA Winner and Premiership Player (formerly)

Remove this Banner Ad

OK, I've removed about three pages of posts.

Please do not use this thread to speculate about Oliver's private life – medical or otherwise.

Regardless of the veracity of your rumour, or what you know/have heard, if it's not public knowledge, just don't post it.

I don't want to turn this place into Demonland, but if you can't see the potential harm that this sort of rumour-spreading can cause (regardless of your intentions), then perhaps it's best if you take a bit of a break.

Thanks.

Friends,

I am hearing the "situation" has successfully been de-escalated, diffused, calmed down, in other words some dust has settled a little bit and that all parties have now resolved to move forward, together.

This is good tidings, or not, depending on how excited you were to daydream about Reid not-bombing it to Oscar Allen or Pick 4 or whatever it was in red and blue next year.
Lol at all the people ready to ship Clarry off. Exact same BS happened last two off-seasons. Was no point getting involved in trade talk as it was never happening. We want Clarry and Clarry wants us. The beat up was hilariously over the top. Some absolute rubbish sprouted on here. Didn't even bother reading most of it. Clarry will be top 2 or 3 of all time at this club.

On the handling of Clayton's hamstring injury, obviously who knows if it was handled poorly or not, I tend to lean towards the clubs version of events rather than Oliver. It reminds me when you get a new player at your footy club. You ask them why they change clubs and they say "the coach didn't like me" more often than not it's because they are either shit or have a crap attitude.

Clarry must have done this podcast very recently. Published online yesterday.

Get around ‘im guys. He may be a wayward ranga but he’s our wayward ranga. 🔴🏆🔵

Says in the first 30 seconds that "the boys are going good, 7-3" - so probably late May (not recent)

Weird that the other bloke only published it online yesterday. Maybe he thought Clarry was such a boring interview subject it wasn’t worth putting up but now sees an opportunity to generate a few clicks off the back of yesterday’s ‘scandal’.

Tell you what I’m bloody chuffed that the best one-two punch midfield combo in the 100+ year history of the MFC is not going to split up. Paul & John. Sonny & Cher. Some duos are just meant to be. Find it in your hearts to forgive ye detractors. Some geniuses are flawed. Just the way it is. 🔴🏆🔵

48BE1ABC-B3F5-47D1-8DB9-7FE482E99D4B.jpeg
2156DFD7-4D03-4607-8B80-A12916553BE3.jpeg 77C277D2-81E4-4AE8-B28D-D35FB62910D1.jpeg
BF79415F-901F-444A-8E22-4056DD061DE0.jpeg D5714241-906B-4D60-A80B-B54AB2DC5BF3.jpeg

Last edited:
Hasn’t the last 24 hours been a fascinating portal into the unprofessional bathwater drinking operation that is the MFC in 2023.

Nothing says Demon Spirit like going out in straight sets, briefing out that one of our best players is highly unprofessional and then immediately deciding to keep him.

Pretty ******* horrendous the way the club has allowed this to play out. Regardless of Oliver's behaviour I'm not sure turning it into a media circus has achieved anything.

Tell you what I’m bloody chuffed that the best one-two punch midfield combo in the 100+ year history of the MFC is not going to split up. Paul & John. Sonny & Cher. Some duos are just meant to be. Find it in your hearts to forgive detractors and haters. Some geniuses are flawed. Just the way it is. 🔴🏆🔵

View attachment 1822852
View attachment 1822854View attachment 1822853
View attachment 1822855View attachment 1822856
Can't wait for the usual clueless blokes saying how s* he is in Round 1 with 37 possessions and 10 coaches votes.

I'm interested to hear how the club should have done things differently.
Not leaking a bunch of shit about Oliver's personal life to the media would be a start.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m still not 100% confident that he will be in the Melbourne colours next year as much as I want him to be I want this trade period to hurry up and be over.

What did the club leak?
So for months there were only very vague rumours about Oliver having drug issues which the club denied at the time. Word goes out he's on the trade table and in 24 hours every journo in town has detailed accounts on the variety of ways Oliver has ****ed up and his life has gotten out of control. You reckon Oliver's manager was giving that info out? Come on.

So for months there were only very vague rumours about Oliver having drug issues which the club denied at the time. Word goes out he's on the trade table and in 24 hours every journo in town has detailed accounts on the variety of ways Oliver has ****ed up and his life has gotten out of control. You reckon Oliver's manager was giving that info out? Come on.
How do you know it was the club? So you categorically can confirm he's got drug issues?? The club have confirmed every "rumour" that's been on the internet have they? He might have drug issues. A lot of players do. But saying it was the club that leaked any info is nuts. Every man and his dog has a phone, or knows a mate of a mate who knows a player. The heavyweights at the club got together after 24hrs of "speculation" and said he's not up for trade if he wants to stay and pull his weight. That's it. The club doesn't need to release a statement about any trade rumour or everything that's suggested online. They'd be releasing a statement every few days if that was the case. The club asked if he wants to stay and keep to the standards of the club. He said yep. I'd say a very similar thing happened to DeGoey and Collingwood. Both weren't going anywhere.

Not to mention all of this comes out in the same week our board was apparently briefed on it.

How do you know it was the club? So you categorically can confirm he's got drug issues?? The club have confirmed every "rumour" that's been on the internet have they? He might have drug issues. A lot of players do. But saying it was the club that leaked any info is nuts. Every man and his dog has a phone, or knows a mate of a mate who knows a player. The heavyweights at the club got together after 24hrs of "speculation" and said he's not up for trade if he wants to stay and pull his weight. That's it. The club doesn't need to release a statement about any trade rumour or everything that's suggested online. They'd be releasing a statement every few days if that was the case. The club asked if he wants to stay and keep to the standards of the club. He said yep. I'd say a very similar thing happened to DeGoey and Collingwood. Both weren't going anywhere.
Not really talking about the drugs thing specifically more that it was the only rumour going round for ages until yesterday.

You're basically saying that all the journos just decided to run with detailed specific info about Oliver giving himself a tattoo, moving in with Max Gawn to get his life in order, and rocking up to the exit meeting late and hungover and they're getting that information from random punters on the street, have I got this right?

That Sam Edmund piece was basically an unofficial club statement. Open your eyes.

Not to mention all of this comes out in the same week our board was apparently briefed on it.
It was all a clear gambit to show Oliver we're serious. He probably got the ultimatum at his exit meeting and continued to act like a tool and the club wanted to show him it wasn't a bluff. I'm okay with that aspect of it but they should have basically said he was up for trade for the right price and kept the rest of the info under wraps.

maybe the journos took Goody up on his offer to come down to our environment and have a look?

Quote of the year IMO. Petracca telling fans not to support us also on the podium. #demonspirit

It was all a clear gambit to show Oliver we're serious. He probably got the ultimatum at his exit meeting and continued to act like a tool and the club wanted to show him it wasn't a bluff. I'm okay with that aspect of it but they should have basically said he was up for trade for the right price and kept the rest of the info under wraps.
I'm not so sure - I feel the footy department had a plan for how to deal with this - the board were either required to be briefed or demanded a briefing and walked it back... bold moves do not typically come from boards, they come from an individual who has the agency to make them.

As soon as they were involved the safer play was always the more likely one.

I'm not so sure - I feel the footy department had a plan for how to deal with this - the board were either required to be briefed or demanded a briefing and walked it back... bold moves do not typically come from boards, they come from an individual who has the agency to make them.

As soon as they were involved the safer play was always the more likely one.
If the board is interfering with the footy department then we have an even bigger problem on our hands.

Not really talking about the drugs thing specifically more that it was the only rumour going round for ages until yesterday.

You're basically saying that all the journos just decided to run with detailed specific info about Oliver giving himself a tattoo, moving in with Max Gawn to get his life in order, and rocking up to the exit meeting late and hungover and they're getting that information from random punters on the street, have I got this right?

That Sam Edmund piece was basically an unofficial club statement. Open your eyes.
You'd have to be pretty naive to believe all these "rumours" have been leaked by the club alone. And the current journos are absolutely clueless. They make s* up or throw a dart at a dartboard and hope they hit one every now and then. Current day AFL journos are all grubs. Such a non story anyway. Was never going anywhere and we never wanted to trade him. If he wants to f* off to another club then it's a story.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #13 Clayton Oliver – UNPRECEDENTED 4x B&F, 3x AA, 2x AFLCA Winner and Premiership Player (formerly)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back