Player Watch #13 Clayton Oliver – UNPRECEDENTED 4x B&F, 3x AA, 2x AFLCA Winner and Premiership Player (formerly)

Remove this Banner Ad

OK, I've removed about three pages of posts.

Please do not use this thread to speculate about Oliver's private life – medical or otherwise.

Regardless of the veracity of your rumour, or what you know/have heard, if it's not public knowledge, just don't post it.

I don't want to turn this place into Demonland, but if you can't see the potential harm that this sort of rumour-spreading can cause (regardless of your intentions), then perhaps it's best if you take a bit of a break.

Thanks.

Plenty of others doing that as well. I just hope he's okay and I guess there's more to life than footy for him right now.

Yeah, and because one of our highest paid players under a 7 year contract is playing up it makes it hard for the club to discipline others without looking like we favour players. Then we become the mess we are with us letting things slide all over the place.

Sparrow with his 12 disposals a match isn’t a solution either.

Played the majority of his career as a half forward after being drafted as an inside mid. I think he averages 20 in his sleep if he plays in the midfield full time.

Exactly why we wouldn’t have been able to trade him. No club was giving a up a bounty for him. His contract to begin with. Not to mention the impact he could have on other players and just the distraction he brings. I really hope he can get himself right. But if not no doubt he’ll be walking away from the contract or if things get worse he have the contract terminated.

The club have been pretty transparent about all this (to the extent that it's possible while respecting his privacy) and have been upfront about calling out his shortcomings when required. So when they say, "he's being supported through a private health matter", he's being supported through a private health matter.

ADHD is a bitch at the best of times and it must be really difficult in the kind of highly disciplined, structured environment that exists in a professional football club.

The club have been pretty transparent about all this (to the extent that it's possible while respecting his privacy) and have been upfront about calling out his shortcomings when required. So when they say, "he's being supported through a private health matter", he's being supported through a private health matter.

ADHD is a bitch at the best of times and it must be really difficult in the kind of highly disciplined, structured environment that exists in a professional football club.

He did fine with it the last 8 years.

Bring out the violin. He's responsible for his problems, blaming everything now on a mental issue is just taking all responsibility off him.

Exactly why we wouldn’t have been able to trade him. No club was giving a up a bounty for him. His contract to begin with. Not to mention the impact he could have on other players and just the distraction he brings. I really hope he can get himself right. But if not no doubt he’ll be walking away from the contract or if things get worse he have the contract terminated.
Who said we needed a bounty. Would happily have taken 2 picks for him because you could see this was a big chance of happening back then. In fact a few of us even predicted it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And to think we probably knocked back the picks that would’ve got us Harley Reid for this bloke because we wanted to back in our “culture”.

We are suddenly very thin on inside mids with Oliver likely out and Harmes/Dunstan/Jordan gone.
Nah. Trac, Viney, Brayshaw, Sparrow can all play inside mid. We got plenty.

Hope Clarry is ok and gets back to his best at some point. Glad the club is sticking by him. No one knows exactly what he's going through, but clearly he needs support and I'm glad the club is supporting him. Sometimes it's more than draft picks or contracts that's important. A Footy club can be a great support for a young fella in need. Here's hoping he's ok..

Yeah, and because one of our highest paid players under a 7 year contract is playing up it makes it hard for the club to discipline others without looking like we favour players. Then we become the mess we are with us letting things slide all over the place.
Honestly get the feeling that the 'indefinite leave from football' is code for club imposed suspension.

Demonland not discussing this at all is so funny. They must be doing it in exchange for the odd player interview (Which are already boring).
It started out as a ban on discussions about Bartlett which was dumb but I kind of understood because of how litigious that guy is, then they just expanded it to any 'off-field' issues, which translates to anything that makes the club look bad. You can talk about Goodwin saving someone in Bali, Gawn and Green having babies but God forbid you discuss our highest paid player's career being on a knife's edge.

Next year you won't be able to discuss games Melbourne lose.

It started out as a ban on discussions about Bartlett which was dumb but I kind of understood because of how litigious that guy is, then they just expanded it to any 'off-field' issues, which translates to anything that makes the club look bad. You can talk about Goodwin saving someone in Bali, Gawn and Green having babies but God forbid you discuss our highest paid player's career being on a knife's edge.

Next year you won't be able to discuss games Melbourne lose.
I'm sure people here have lobbied to ban player criticism, considering how arse hurt they get when you say Clarence can't kick

Honestly get the feeling that the 'indefinite leave from football' is code for club imposed suspension.
Yeah, if so im glad they actually acted on it this time, but the damage is still done, only took god knows how many indiscretions before they finally did something. Tail been wagging the dog for far too long, they've been playing cover up for much longer than 6 months I reckon.

I'm sure people here have lobbied to ban player criticism, considering how arse hurt they get when you say Clarence can't kick
Demonland is now reserved for discussions on club approved instagram posts only.

Yeah, if so im glad they actually acted on it this time, but the damage is still done, only took god knows how many indiscretions before they finally did something. Tail been wagging the dog for far too long, they've been playing cover up for much longer than 6 months I reckon.
They basically admitted that the club has been dealing with his issues internally for years. I really can't fathom how they thought a 7 year contract was a good idea if that were the case.

They basically admitted that the club has been dealing with his issues internally for years. I really can't fathom how they thought a 7 year contract was a good idea if that were the case.

Good on Oliver's manager I guess, getting him a long term deal knowing he could lose the plot at any moment. Played us like a fiddle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #13 Clayton Oliver – UNPRECEDENTED 4x B&F, 3x AA, 2x AFLCA Winner and Premiership Player (formerly)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back