AFL Player #13: Nik Cox - Subbed out vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

Shouldn’t be traded until we actually give him a chance to develop in a position we drafted him to play.
He won't make it as a winger, not at Essendon anyway and probably not at AFL level. Duursma's arrival has cemented Scott's view on that. We have to trial him in other positions and probably via the VFL.

Happy to take the long view with Cox's development, but at the same time we need to be open minded about his value.

We have more Top 10 draftees on our list than any other club. They're not all going to make it and there may come a time when we are at the 11th hour in our premiership window and we need to give something to sign an elite impact player. Cox could be the trade capital we need. Particularly when you consider Dodoro's comments last trade window that Essendon will continue to be aggressive in future free agency windows.

He needs an injury free year firstly to regain confidence. If he gets that I think Scott will play him VFL to start which is good imo. He needs time in the VFL to remember how to kick, use his tank and use his height. Game sense and positioning should improve with continuity. I want to see him taking 8+ marks, kicking the ball cleanly 15+ times and using his tank to run and create drive off half back. He's gotta be accountable for someone as well and show he is fully aware of what his role is and what the gameplan is. Id like to see that for 10 weeks straight so we know he's back and remembered how to play. Then he might be ready for another go at AFL. Year 4= not allowed to be running around like a headless chook, kicking wormburners and getting caught out of position.

He needs an injury free year firstly to regain confidence. If he gets that I think Scott will play him VFL to start which is good imo. He needs time in the VFL to remember how to kick, use his tank and use his height. Game sense and positioning should improve with continuity. I want to see him taking 8+ marks, kicking the ball cleanly 15+ times and using his tank to run and create drive off half back. He's gotta be accountable for someone as well and show he is fully aware of what his role is and what the gameplan is. Id like to see that for 10 weeks straight so we know he's back and remembered how to play. Then he might be ready for another go at AFL. Year 4= not allowed to be running around like a headless chook, kicking wormburners and getting caught out of position.
So let's fast forward and imagine he has achieved these benchmarks, who then does he push out?

McGrath McKay Hind
Redman Reid/Laverde/Baldwin Ridley
Martin (7)

I only have the three together because I don't think that spot is resolved but it looks like Scott prefers Reid, and we heard yesterday that Marto looks like rotating through as the 7th.

If Cox's confidence is down it could be that he also sees the traffic jam in front of him, not to mention Hayes, Roberts and LL behind him.

It looks like his only way is to push Martin back to the mid/wing. That's a narrow path.

I think this year is make or break IMO.

He needs to be killing it in the VFL not onlyfor his chances in our team but for his trade chances.

It is tough, but AFL lists are ruthless. Gone are the days clubs hold on more than 3-4 years. Thatis the window.

Would like to see him compete with Jones as a mobile forward who can use his engine up the ground. His lack of aggression is a concern… not surprising given his build and lack of faith he must have in his body at this point.

Big year for him to say the least

Would like to see him compete with Jones as a mobile forward who can use his engine up the ground. His lack of aggression is a concern… not surprising given his build and lack of faith he must have in his body at this point.

Big year for him to say the least
I think he looked a bit lost when he was forward last year. Looked much more comfortable as a backman.

So let's fast forward and imagine he has achieved these benchmarks, who then does he push out?

McGrath McKay Hind
Martin (7)

I only have the three together because I don't think that spot is resolved but it looks like Scott prefers Reid, and we heard yesterday that Marto looks like rotating through as the 7th.

If Cox's confidence is down it could be that he also sees the traffic jam in front of him, not to mention Hayes, Roberts and LL behind him.

It looks like his only way is to push Martin back to the mid/wing. That's a narrow path.
Achieving those benchmarks would guarantee him nothing apart from putting himself in contention again and increasing his trade value. Personally I see him as back up for Ridley or possibly eyeing off a spot as the 7th defender. He's nowhere near best 22 for me so i just want to see him get himself back in contention for a spot and be ready to go should we get injuries. He's still 21 for a few more days so still has time

i don't think he's a walk up pick anymore, really needs to prove himself as someone worth picking/keeping on the list. it obviously takes time for players of his stature to get their bodies right so an injury-free preseason will do him a world of good but he looked listless when he was in the team last season.

could end up on the fringe by round 12

He won't make it as a winger, not at Essendon anyway and probably not at AFL level. Duursma's arrival has cemented Scott's view on that. We have to trial him in other positions and probably via the VFL.

Happy to take the long view with Cox's development, but at the same time we need to be open minded about his value.

We have more Top 10 draftees on our list than any other club. They're not all going to make it and there may come a time when we are at the 11th hour in our premiership window and we need to give something to sign an elite impact player. Cox could be the trade capital we need. Particularly when you consider Dodoro's comments last trade window that Essendon will continue to be aggressive in future free agency windows.
I don’t want him on the wing. He’s not a winger. If we continue playing him there we will kill his career / he’ll go somewhere else and turn into a good player

Achieving those benchmarks would guarantee him nothing apart from putting himself in contention again and increasing his trade value. Personally I see him as back up for Ridley or possibly eyeing off a spot as the 7th defender. He's nowhere near best 22 for me so i just want to see him get himself back in contention for a spot and be ready to go should we get injuries. He's still 21 for a few more days so still has time
I concur re: back-up for Ridley or 7th defender. If he's not in contention by year's end, he's trade bait.

I’d have Cox in the back 7 over hind. There’s enough small players on the team already
hind is like 1 of 3 players in our team (not withstanding players i haven't seen) with genuine, linebreaking pace, i think i'd prefer him in the side until we find someone better than him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McGrath McKay Hind
Martin (7)

If he gets to his full potential he will be in the side and it will be take your pick who he pushes out other than the genuine KP defenders. His potential is basically 200cm Jordan Ridley that kicks on both sides. It is a big if for sure but if he gets there he will be in the side. Who he pushes out ? who cares as he will be one of the better intercept defenders in the game. I am not 100% convinced he will fulfill the potential for the record.

If he gets to his full potential he will be in the side and it will be take your pick who he pushes out other than the genuine KP defenders. His potential is basically 200cm Jordan Ridley that kicks on both sides. It is a big if for sure but if he gets there he will be in the side. Who he pushes out ? who cares as he will be one of the better intercept defenders in the game. I am not 100% convinced he will fulfill the potential for the record.

The way I see it, I'm just not sure he's going to get the opportunity to even demonstrate that he can really play that role (alongside McKay, Ridley, Reid). I can see him pushing out Lav, but not without bringing in someone like Kelly to supplement the backline with some grit. I think he really has his work cut out for him to make it in this squad. No doubt someone will get an injury though and maybe he can prove he belongs then, but as others have said, it's a big big year for him.

** Edit: suppose he can demonstrate effectiveness in that role playing the 2s.

The way I see it, I'm just not sure he's going to get the opportunity to even demonstrate that he can really play that role (alongside McKay, Ridley, Reid). I can see him pushing out Lav, but not without bringing in someone like Kelly to supplement the backline with some grit. I think he really has his work cut out for him to make it in this squad. No doubt someone will get an injury though and maybe he can prove he belongs then, but as others have said, it's a big big year for him.

** Edit: suppose he can demonstrate effectiveness in that role playing the 2s.
I do not know if he can get to the level of his potential . In fact I have serious doubts he will as I have questions on his mental toughness right now. All I am saying as "if" he does he will push someone out of the side. If he is getting 20 possessions and taking a heap of intercept marks playing half back he will force his way into the side. But hey right now it is all a big question mark .

hind is like 1 of 3 players in our team (not withstanding players i haven't seen) with genuine, linebreaking pace, i think i'd prefer him in the side until we find someone better than him.
Yep, every team has a few genuine line breakers and I see nobody pushing Hind out atm. Could do with a couple more aka Hill (Coll) type.

Hind does have limitations but I was super impressed with his attitude when we fell off the cliff at the end of last year. While most of our team were just going through the motions, Hind looked to be one of the few that were busting their gut.

Yep, every team has a few genuine line breakers and I see nobody pushing Hind out atm. Could do with a couple more aka Hill (Coll) type.

Hind does have limitations but I was super impressed with his attitude when we fell off the cliff at the end of last year. While most of our team were just going through the motions, Hind looked to be one of the few that were busting their gut.
When Tsatas was having a mare against Collingwood, he was the one going up to him to reassure him/was most vocal. Agree 100%

Let's see how LL and Alwyn go in the 2s. In tandem they might have the pace to rebound easily through the first line. Can they then find a player by foot...?

I’ve said from the start that his physical attributes (height + mobility) actually say he’s a ruckman.

Obviously he’d need to be tougher and more aggressive and work on that, but we’re insane if we don’t try it at his size - confidence does a lot.

Ryder was thrown forward and back early before they woke up and realised he was a ruckman.

I’ve said from the start that his physical attributes (height + mobility) actually say he’s a ruckman.

Obviously he’d need to be tougher and more aggressive and work on that, but we’re insane if we don’t try it at his size - confidence does a lot.

Ryder was thrown forward and back early before they woke up and realised he was a ruckman.
Only one problem with him being a ruck IMO and that is he has to prove he is not soft .

needs more meat on his bones before he gets in the ruck, he's a string bean currently.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #13: Nik Cox - Subbed out vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back