AFL Player #13: Nik Cox - Subbed out vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he's shown enough throughout the season that collectively losing our shit over a poor game seems a bit immature
Agree. I didn't watch the Melbourne game so can't comment on that, but he's been okay this year.

Not great, but okay, and that's probably the level of player he'll be. It just hurts because of where he was taken in the draft, because he looked to have high potential early, and because the club really only has maybe 10 players that don't have glaring deficiencies.

Was set up to fail playing wing last night as it negated his height/strength. I like the look of him on the wing overall but contest effort needs some work.

Maybe extended run on the wing in the 2s. Replace with setterfield and Jones, kelly, duursma and Martin on the wing.

I am still more buoyant on him than most even if just glimpses. Competing okay in the ruck and for team balance is better than goldy, Wright, and draper in a team selection.

I’d honestly rather Cox on the wing during a flood than see Setterfield or Kelly ever forced onto the wing again

I’d honestly rather Cox on the wing during a flood than see Setterfield or Kelly ever forced onto the wing again
I could have lived with Setterfield in Saturday’s conditions but not in any other circumstances.
Agree on Kelly . Back pocket or nothings but Kelly has not been wing for a while now. That has ended with Duursma back .

Cox needs to play as a KPP. End this wing experiment. Harry jones has already had more good games than him in 3-4 games on a wing than cox has had in 50. Hes just not made for it, which is fine. My mate is a recruiter for dogs and he said watching nik cox at CHB was one of the most talented kids hed ever seen. Let him set up the play and take the 2nd best forward, your Hipwood types. then set up the play with his ambidextrous kicking, perfect for our switching style of play. Wouldnt be opposed for giving Reid or McKay a run as a forward. McKay is obviously our best KPD but he also has a frame and marking ability that we have been crying out for. Reid as well. May also be good thing for list balance, having Baldwin, Mckay, Reid, Hayes, Cox, Laverde as KPDs and only Wright, Caddy, Jones?, Visentini? as forwards. Crazier things have happened since a certain wingman had a position change, and we have a surplus of quality KPD talent. I don't see why not.

Duursma, Jones, Martin. Maybe tsatas or perkins?

But agree not really suited for sheil, hobbs or setterfield.

I actually don't mind kelly or heppel pushing back into defense from there as a stop gap.
Cox needs to play as a KPP. End this wing experiment. Harry jones has already had more good games than him in 3-4 games on a wing than cox has had in 50. Hes just not made for it, which is fine. My mate is a recruiter for dogs and he said watching nik cox at CHB was one of the most talented kids hed ever seen. Let him set up the play and take the 2nd best forward, your Hipwood types. then set up the play with his ambidextrous kicking, perfect for our switching style of play. Wouldnt be opposed for giving Reid or McKay a run as a forward. McKay is obviously our best KPD but he also has a frame and marking ability that we have been crying out for. Reid as well. May also be good thing for list balance, having Baldwin, Mckay, Reid, Hayes, Cox, Laverde as KPDs and only Wright, Caddy, Jones?, Visentini? as forwards. Crazier things have happened since a certain wingman had a position change, and we have a surplus of quality KPD talent. I don't see why not.

He was terrible as key position defender earlier. Soft and exposed aerially.

However, may just need more time.

I like him on the wing and utility but not in the wet. And maybe we dont need Cox and Jones at once and can rotate wing and fwd with our current struggles.

Think few games in vfl might help but reality is if he doesn't build contunied physical presence than position might not matter.

:think:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's not going to be a KPP. Let's look at him for what he is, an oversized medium defender.

What exactly is he good at?

He's tall, but doesn't use it. He's not quick. He's not strong. He's not skilful. He doesn't win ground level ball. He's possibly the worst handballer I've ever seen.

Without significant improvement in multiple areas, I don't see how he's a long-term AFL player.
Definitely looking for more from him this year than just the occasional opportunity for a flurry of big cox jokes.

Position - he’s a utility to me, can play through all 3 sections of the ground. Coach seems to have shifted him through all for development or needs or both…

Skills - he covers a lot of ground and kicks well on both feet. So getting up and back (wing, flanker etc) makes sense. Just would like to see him get into damaging positions more often.

22 y o Covid impacted, injury impacted, 200cm (big men develop slower), playing many roles so harder to lock in… blah blah blah… had some good games this year. Love to see a great one to understand if Nik Cox’s name of spelt with a silent “potential” or not.

Is it them trying to shoehorn him in at AFL level so they're kind of shoving him in a role?
I think it is more the fantasy of a 200cm wing . He could easily play half forward if they wanted to give him a spot

Cox is a coaches dream. Having someone who is a Swiss Army knife with the ability to play any position is a true luxury. Look how many games mark Bolton played and he has a quarter the amount of talent as cox. He will only get better with maturity and more games.

I don’t expect he will ever settle into a position, because his true value is his flexibility and it’s easiest to fill gaps through the wing/flanks as starting positions. We also need to remember that in this role sometimes he will bob up and be a key cog in a game, but also he will sometimes float through roles without much influence. Stats should never be his measure.

Cox is a coaches dream. Having someone who is a Swiss Army knife with the ability to play any position is a true luxury. Look how many games mark Bolton played and he has a quarter the amount of talent as cox. He will only get better with maturity and more games.

I don’t expect he will ever settle into a position, because his true value is his flexibility and it’s easiest to fill gaps through the wing/flanks as starting positions. We also need to remember that in this role sometimes he will bob up and be a key cog in a game, but also he will sometimes float through roles without much influence. Stats should never be his measure.
My biggest knock for him is I’d like to see him use his 60 metre bombs more. He could easily be doing a redman and getting the cheeky handballs for long shots

He looked like he was going to be a gun in his first season. Was one of the fav for the rising star before injury late in his first season.
His next two seasons he was injured.
Did he have a full preseason this year? I expect to see big improvements next year if all goes well.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #13: Nik Cox - Subbed out vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back