AFL Player #13: Nik Cox - Subbed out vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

Did some good things tonight. A good game to build off of.
A ‘nothing player’ who shows something.

Surely, avid footy watchers can see the player he can be - getting forward to kick goals, pushing back to intercept, and leading up the wings as a chop-out. His left and right foot skills means he has dual directions to open the play up too. There’s definitely something there to build on. It’s glaringly obvious but he’s going to take time to iron out his faults.

I don’t think he has the ‘360ness’ to be really good on a wing but coming up at the footy from centre half forward or centre half back, he looks really good. And looked stoked with his goals too, has probably been a bit timid at times.

Uses his body and height well in one on one marking contests. Lacks fire in the belly so probably won't turn up sometimes like a cold wet night but is a tricky matchup and a good shot at goal when on, which will hopefully be more often than not. Takes some clutch marks. Would love to see that burst of pace he showed in his first season.

I don’t think he has the ‘360ness’ to be really good on a wing but coming up at the footy from centre half forward or centre half back, he looks really good. And looked stoked with his goals too, has probably been a bit timid at times.
I think his game awareness is better than most of his teammates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Uses his body and height well in one on one marking contests. Lacks fire in the belly so probably won't turn up sometimes like a cold wet night but is a tricky matchup and a good shot at goal when on, which will hopefully be more often than not. Takes some clutch marks. Would love to see that burst of pace he showed in his first season.

Agree. Seems really slow when chasing.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good in patches and a solid contributor. Not sure if the forward half is his best position, but definitely looks like he belongs in the team.

Think his best position is in either the back or forward.
It takes years for "big blokes" to look comfortable at the level playing as a forward and often as a defender.

We have this bloke playing wing.

I've been harsh on him but when viewed through that lens it's pretty normal.
I thought he looked great using his body and height in the forward line, that's a couple times that's happened.
I'd be using him more in the forward half and switching on a wing with Jones as both struggle body wise as key forwards but look incredibly dangerous drifting down and using their marking up the ground.
This forwardline has a lot of potential if you get stringer out of it.

Really don’t think he can play on the wing. His opponents constantly find space behind him for an easy release kick when their starting position was shoulder to shoulder.

Would like to play him as a forward ruck utility and leave the wings to Jones and Duursma

I think his game awareness is better than most of his teammates.

I think he’s got good awareness and sees the game well, but better served running a straight line at the footy in either direction rather than navigating traffic, if that makes sense.

It’s a well deserved extension, and also, he has worked out his preferred kicking leg, which is an absurd problem for a 2 metre tall player to have but was definitely a problem at one point.

can we find him a permanent positionon the field please
To me he’s looked best as a key forward. Has the reach to outmark the biggest players, a mobility advantage and his dual footed kicking is handy from either pocket.

Also surprisingly good body work. Seems to have a strong core. Just needs to keep filling out for the sake of durability.

To me he’s looked best as a key forward. Has the reach to outmark the biggest players, a mobility advantage and his dual footed kicking is handy from either pocket.

Also surprisingly good body work. Seems to have a strong core. Just needs to keep filling out for the sake of durability.
Agree, opposition can't predict what foot he will kick from and he is becoming a good mark.

If we could get the Davey's at the fall of the ball and all our talls on song we are going to stretch the best backlines in the AFL.

...just not in the wet though!

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #13: Nik Cox - Subbed out vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back