AFL Player #13: Nik Cox - Subbed out vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

Still looks too confused on the wing and he has some shocking panicky moments. Probably looked best when he was in the ruck.

Last edited:

Things are pretty grim when we just can't work out work out whether he's going to be unnoticeable or a liability.
Agree. I want my players to be good at something.

I am still not sold on his genuine ability to be hard at the footy contest after contest. He has had a decent crack at times this year and also at various stages last night but there are still times when he does not go as hard as he could. I think this also leads to the panicky decisions with the footy. Maybe it is body related as he is built like a pretzel but it is holding him back .

His game awareness is non existant at the moment, he has no idea when to go and when not to go and gets caught in two minds in between contests.

In his first season he attacked the footy and was clean with it, now he looks like he doesn't want the ball anywhere near him.

His confidence is shot and that's something that the coaching staff should get some heat for because he looks totally confused in his role.

I'll give him a pass because those conditions were shocking for someone his size and he's done some good things this year.

Footy IQ is not great on him tho

Was set up to fail playing wing last night as it negated his height/strength. I like the look of him on the wing overall but contest effort needs some work.

Maybe extended run on the wing in the 2s. Replace with setterfield and Jones, kelly, duursma and Martin on the wing.

I am still more buoyant on him than most even if just glimpses. Competing okay in the ruck and for team balance is better than goldy, Wright, and draper in a team selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His game awareness is non existant at the moment, he has no idea when to go and when not to go and gets caught in two minds in between contests.

In his first season he attacked the footy and was clean with it, now he looks like he doesn't want the ball anywhere near him.

His confidence is shot and that's something that the coaching staff should get some heat for because he looks totally confused in his role.
That is what you get when you are learning the wing at AFL level.

His opponent and 1st year player Windsor has had no problems adapting to the wing role at the higher level.
Yeah a bloke who played midfield / wing in a full under 18 season adapts better to the wing than a bloke who played CHB in a few practice games in his top age under 18 season. Apples and Bananas .

Yeah a bloke who played midfield / wing in a full under 18 season adapts better to the wing than a bloke who played CHB in a few practice games in his top age under 18 season. Apples and Bananas .
Rubbish, how long has Cox been tried on a wing now 3/4 seasons ?

He's shown no improvement and looks more confused than ever.

Rubbish, how long has Cox been tried on a wing now 3/4 seasons ?

He's shown no improvement and looks more confused than ever.
I never said he is a wing or is any good at it. I have always said he is not a wing. He gets confused because he gets thrown onto the wing at AFL level and he can not play the role. Windsor is a different story. That is why I said it is a poor comparison. Cox is a poor winger and trying to turn him into one at AFL level makes it an issue.

I never said he is a wing or is any good at it. I have always said he is not a wing. He gets confused because he gets thrown onto the wing at AFL level and he can not play the role. Windsor is a different story. That is why I said it is a poor comparison.
So we agree then, the coaching staff trying to turn him into a winger need a rocket put under them.

How long do they continue with this experiment ?, surely they can see that this aint working and the poor kid's confidence is shot.

So we agree then, the coaching staff trying to turn him into a winger need a rocket put under them.

How long do they continue with this experiment ?, surely they can see that this aint working and the poor kid's confidence is shot.
Somehow they are seduced by the fact he takes the odd mark. I have no idea how long it goes but I can not see it working long term.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #13: Nik Cox - Subbed out vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back