AFL Player #13: Nik Cox - Subbed out vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

I like the tall wingers but it doesn't work with a tall old side. I'd drop Wright and replace ridley with a small.

Advantage he gives us as is a tall utility but doesn't really work if you have too many talls so can't throw him around anyway.

Might never get that competetive spirit.

Geelong play with less talls and contingency because blicavs can pinch hit wherever they need. Unless we change our strategy, drop him as play him as key position in the 2s.

Jeez I hope I’m wrong but I can just never see him making it. He’s just not a competitor.
He has his moments in the clinches where he can win a contested ball at ground level and it makes me go ‘wow, for a tall bloke that was pretty good’. The negative is it doesn’t happen often enough. The positive is that he has shown me that he has it in him.

Jeez I hope I’m wrong but I can just never see him making it. He’s just not a competitor.
Don't let a couple of down games shape your perceptions of him too much. Throughout the year I've seen enough instances of him cracking in hard to not be too concerned. He's young, he's still developing and he's in a side which has days where it just doesn't show up. I think in time he'll shake off the inconsistency and be a really good player.

Don't let a couple of down games shape your perceptions of him too much. Throughout the year I've seen enough instances of him cracking in hard to not be too concerned. He's young, he's still developing and he's in a side which has days where it just doesn't show up. I think in time he'll shake off the inconsistency and be a really good player.
A really good player in what position??

Wing - utility.

200cm, talls take time to develop, Covid development season impacted, injured for 28mths, blah, blah, blah…

Shitposters gonna shitpost.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last time we had a bloke this size with agility etc, we didn’t know what to do with him either - Ryder.

Finally we threw him in the ruck and that’s where it worked. He had the freedom to run around and use his size while also having a task to stick to.

He’s behind the eight ball but I’d happy to just chuck him in there and go for it.

Last time we had a bloke this size with agility etc, we didn’t know what to do with him either - Ryder.

Finally we threw him in the ruck and that’s where it worked. He had the freedom to run around and use his size while also having a task to stick to.

He’s behind the eight ball but I’d happy to just chuck him in there and go for it.

I would love to see him deployed as our Ruck / Utility in tandem with Nick Bryan and never see Draper or 2MP ins ever again.

My boy is named on the wing, with a fair bit of chatter around our tall / developing wing strategy (more Cox & Jones than Dursma). Too tall? Too focused on getting forward / not defensive enough?
I think it’s still his best fit / role but need still developing there (helping EFC tank).

Wouldn’t be surprised if Cox is floating back today to help out the backline more.

My boy is named on the wing, with a fair bit of chatter around our tall / developing wing strategy (more Cox & Jones than Dursma). Too tall? Too focused on getting forward / not defensive enough?
I think it’s still his best fit / role but need still developing there (helping EFC tank).

Wouldn’t be surprised if Cox is floating back today to help out the backline more.
The moment the ball is at ground level we get rinsed with Jones and Cox on the wings. The Josh Daicos, Langdons, Hollands, Acres etc are just too dynamic with their leg speed and change of direction.

Cox needs to be a ruck support/forward if he’s going to make it imo. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player get as much slack/opportunity than Cox. Hopefully he makes the most of it like he has recently. I also would love to see him clock 15kms in a game. He’s meant to be this aerobic king, haven’t seen that in a while

Would say Dursma is midsize rather than Tall. He’s been good.

I’ve really liked what Jones has done on the wing. Still working out how to play it but it suits his game better than any other position as it allows him to float across packs and get the ball in unpressured situations

To me plays basically like a slightly taller Will Hoskin Elliot.

Nick Cox… did well there his rookie year but haven’t seen much since that he fits there. And even if he did he’d be worse than Jones/Martin in the same role.

I’ve been most impressed with Cox closer to goal. Has to build more strength but I think he’s looked best at CHF/FF. Good at reading the flight and can body a player even if he’s currently a bit undersized to constantly play with the expected physicality. Has speed/tank to be a very difficult cover for any KPD and good off both feet means he can always kick if the easier side

Have had a look at Cox v Duursma v D'Ambrosio as far as wings go. X and Mass have more possessions and a much better kicking efficiency but a lot of the other stats line up.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #13: Nik Cox - Subbed out vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back