AFL Player #13: Nik Cox - Subbed out vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

He does not have pace and won’t get faster.
He does not have any special marking skills.
He does not have a second effort.
He does not have a penetrating kick.
He does not have bulk (despite having time to bulk up).
Opposition will always try to kick to his opponent if playing back.
50+ games of another first round pick experiment….🤦

He was awful again.

Not really surprising. He played key back on a monster. Not sure he’s ever played that role in his career. A few weeks back he was playing as a forward. Pinch hitting in the ruck. He’s played most of his footy on the wing.

A player cannot develop like this. We’ve had no plan for him at all. It’s clearly just “throw it at a wall” and see what sticks.

It’s not to say it’s all our fault. He has clear deficiencies and may not have ever made it in any position. But we haven’t helped at all.

Not really surprising. He played key back on a monster. Not sure he’s ever played that role in his career. A few weeks back he was playing as a forward. Pinch hitting in the ruck. He’s played most of his footy on the wing.

A player cannot develop like this. We’ve had no plan for him at all. It’s clearly just “throw it at a wall” and see what sticks.

It’s not to say it’s all our fault. He has clear deficiencies and may not have ever made it in any position. But we haven’t helped at all.
It was is lack of ability at ground level that stood out today for mine. Where does he fit in?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A ‘nothing player’ who shows something.

Surely, avid footy watchers can see the player he can be - getting forward to kick goals, pushing back to intercept, and leading up the wings as a chop-out. His left and right foot skills means he has dual directions to open the play up too. There’s definitely something there to build on. It’s glaringly obvious but he’s going to take time to iron out his faults.
Gave him a few weeks after his "breakout" game to see how he'd follow it up before commenting... and I'm pretty comfortable with my original analysis.

He doesn't do anything well. He has no standout attributes. The only thing he has over other players is his height, but because he's an unco twig (and probably always will be) he can't use it to his advantage. As I said, I don't see him being a long-term AFL player unless he improves in multiple areas. Needs to start by putting on some muscle.

Last edited:
I worry that he lacks effort so many times. Effort/desperation is unconditional for AFL players. Nick doesn’t like playing down back now because he is allergic to physical contact. If he goes forward, you watch him close his eyes if he gets front position going for marks.

I think they should give him a go out of our goal square. I get they think he has good field kicking or is decent below the knees for a tall etc. But maybe, and this might sound crazy, we should see if he has any big guy skills. Draper was good today, but I don't see him as a long term option.

Was always the case.

He’s a ****ing big guy. He’s a key back, a key forward or a ruck. Pick one.

“Oh but he’s so agile”

Great. That’s a nice bonus.

He’s still a ****ing big guy.

Drives you insane.

He has no afl position and is not a competitor.
He is no football unicorn.
I think he is basically an outside flanker . You are right . He has no real position so far and we did not get too see much sample size in his top age year to work out what he really is. What I saw in his very limited under 18 season and some of his footy before that the previous year was a skinny kid who was decent at intercepting . His height helped . I described him as a 200cm Ridley which was a bit over the top but I think that is what he is. Half back or half forward flank. Decent engine. Kicks okay on both sides but it is only okay. Does not really like physical contact . Is way too light for KP and may well be for another 3 or 4 years and is a little panicky under pressure in the back half. I do know he is a real confidence player who gets down on himself really easily when things go wrong.
Oddly enough he has not been terrible when he has had 5 or 6 minutes in the ruck.
For mine he is simply an outside player with a good tank and is someone who can play on the medium or slower small forward types on a back flank or someone you try and get a height advantage with if he plays half forward. Can not play KP . Too skinny and does not like the contact all game long . Can play some wing but does end up running around in circles working out who to chase. Looks better on the wing when we have the team defense working at a reasonable level.
Anyway that is my take.

Him and Laverde, what a site! I think he can only play as a forward.
He can play back. Just not as a KP player. He is a 200cm outside flanker.

I think he is basically an outside flanker . You are right . He has no real position so far and we did not get too see much sample size in his top age year to work out what he really is. What I saw in his very limited under 18 season and some of his footy before that the previous year was a skinny kid who was decent at intercepting . His height helped . I described him as a 200cm Ridley which was a bit over the top but I think that is what he is. Half back or half forward flank. Decent engine. Kicks okay on both sides but it is only okay. Does not really like physical contact . Is way too light for KP and may well be for another 3 or 4 years and is a little panicky under pressure in the back half. I do know he is a real confidence player who gets down on himself really easily when things go wrong.
Oddly enough he has not been terrible when he has had 5 or 6 minutes in the ruck.
For mine he is simply an outside player with a good tank and is someone who can play on the medium or slower small forward types on a back flank or someone you try and get a height advantage with if he plays half forward. Can not play KP . Too skinny and does not like the contact all game long . Can play some wing but does end up running around in circles working out who to chase. Looks better on the wing when we have the team defense working at a reasonable level.
Anyway that is my take.
This seems spot on.
Outside player, flanker…

What ant has outlined seems to be backed up by what the Essendon coaching team think. Don’t get much deep insight into a single player from the coaches, but the great Dale Tapping interview provided lots on Cox.

Or ChapGPT summary that takes out Dale’s “You know” words.
Dale Tapping discusses the versatility and strengths of players like Jonesy and Coxie, particularly in their roles as wingers and forwards. He emphasizes the importance of educating players on their positioning and roles, such as playing deep or higher up the field, to maximize their athleticism and skills. Tapping highlights the unique combination of height and athleticism that these players possess, which makes them effective in aerial contests both defensively and offensively. He mentions that along with Dersma, they have three wingers who are among the best in the competition in terms of marking ability. The focus is on utilizing these players' strengths to improve the team's performance, especially in providing reliable marking targets when transitioning from defense.

Can we just play him as a third tall defender/hbf in the VFL and let him build some form. He's been average to poor for most the year we are doing him no favours just throwing all over the ground at AFL level.

Anyway that is my take.
Yeah, I was surprised how competent he looked in the ruck, a few weeks ago - don't remember which game it was, Coll maybe?? Also thought he looked more comfortable playing forward, think it was the Adel game.
Heart-in-mouth stuff, when he's in the back line.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #13: Nik Cox - Subbed out vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back