AFL Player #13: Nik Cox - Subbed out vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

Great to see my boy signed for a couple more.

In the outstanding Dale Tapping interview on Don the Stat, you get a clearer picture of Cox’s role according to the EFC coaching staff:
  • Wing (along with Dursma & Jones)
  • Plays to his strengths (covers ground + height)
  • Providing marking power
  • Getting forward
  • Helping out down back
I think they’re also using him as a bit of a Mr. Fixit… filled holes after injury in both back and forward lines as well as back up ruck one week.

Dale Tapping -
“using Jonesy's example, who's, you know, like really suited to the wing and even Coxie, to an extra extent, like when Coxie and Jonesy, well Jonesy's over the forward stuff, but it's probably more, say from my end, like just educating Coxie if he goes forward, you know, like he did against Cold Coast and, you know, kicked a couple of goals. So, you know, he's still got an awareness of what's ahead of the ball, what his role is in certain positions, you know, and the others clearly help him.

“But, you know, there's a lot of things that, there's a lot of coaching around, you know, if we want you to play deep, this is how we want you to sort of set up and this is why, you know, if we want you to play a little bit higher as a forward, this is why try to get yourself in this position because we can use your athleticism. You know, it's all this detail around, you know, the craft and, you know, and Jones is the same as a winger. You know, and the great advantages for those boys is their ability not only to get back and support in the air, but they can get forward and win it in the air.

So they become a bit of a threat in the air because they're quite unique in terms of, you know, their athleticism and height.
Yeah, we'd probably be, I'd say we would be, we would probably have now, and along with Dersma, who's very capable above his head, you know, our three wingers are probably as good as anyone in the air, they're cross competition. So you're crazy not to maximize that.

“So we're just trying to, you know, find avenues, you know, how we can best utilize those three boys, you know, because of their weapons and strengths they bring to the table.

Yeah, it's actually just obviously someone who's watched the Bombers for a while. It's one of the things that we've lacked for a while is that sort of those marking targets, you know, coming out of the back line and, you know, just having that person you can kick to, who can, you know, take that one-on-one mark. So it seems to be working pretty well.”

From Don The Stat: Don The Stat 2024 - Dale Tapping (Essendon Assistant Coach) Interview, 10 Jul 2024

Funny because it’s right.

BTW - I believe Cox (preseason interview) where he says he put on 9kg coming into the ‘24 season.

Yet - kid has skipped every arm session in his 4 years at the club. I don’t get it…

Has built up core … a lot… see photo from Friday night’s game… much broader core, same skinny arms.

View attachment 2057872
He probably stopped lifting after pre season and withered away

in all seriousness though it takes longer for taller blokes arms to fill out more

Funny because it’s right.

BTW - I believe Cox (preseason interview) where he says he put on 9kg coming into the ‘24 season.

Yet - kid has skipped every arm session in his 4 years at the club. I don’t get it…

Has built up core … a lot… see photo from Friday night’s game… much broader core, same skinny arms.

Perhaps the supposed new role on a wing may be perceived as a reason not to put on muscle mass so as to not inhibit speed/agility but that could just be a cop-out. Has been injured multiple times so will give him that.

He would be a vital asset if he could consistently hold his position against strong opponents. I hope he'll be more proactive in that department for the next couple years. His effort on the weekend was superb, that'd triple with a bigger frame.

Anyone know what my boy’s wiggling fingers on chin goal celebration meant?

View attachment 2057878

Could it be a Vigil Van Dijk (Liverpool player) copy (referencing kids scoring against older players)?

Happy Dr Zoidberg GIF

In the outstanding Dale Tapping interview on Don the Stat, you get a clearer picture of Cox’s role according to the EFC coaching staff:
  • Getting forward
  • Helping out down back
I think they’re also using him as a bit of a Mr. Fixit… filled holes after injury in both back and forward lines as well as back up ruck one week.

Dale Tapping -
“using Jonesy's example, who's, you know, like really suited to the wing and even Coxie, to an extra extent, like when Coxie and Jonesy, well Jonesy's over the forward stuff, but it's probably more, say from my end, like just educating Coxie if he goes forward, you know, like he did against Cold Coast and, you know, kicked a couple of goals. So, you know, he's still got an awareness of what's ahead of the ball, what his role is in certain positions, you know, and the others clearly help him.

“But, you know, there's a lot of things that, there's a lot of coaching around, you know, if we want you to play deep, this is how we want you to sort of set up and this is why, you know, if we want you to play a little bit higher as a forward, this is why try to get yourself in this position because we can use your athleticism. You know, it's all this detail around, you know, the craft and, you know, and Jones is the same as a winger. You know, and the great advantages for those boys is their ability not only to get back and support in the air, but they can get forward and win it in the air.

So they become a bit of a threat in the air because they're quite unique in terms of, you know, their athleticism and height.
Yeah, we'd probably be, I'd say we would be, we would probably have now, and along with Dersma, who's very capable above his head, you know, our three wingers are probably as good as anyone in the air, they're cross competition. So you're crazy not to maximize that.

“So we're just trying to, you know, find avenues, you know, how we can best utilize those three boys, you know, because of their weapons and strengths they bring to the table.

Yeah, it's actually just obviously someone who's watched the Bombers for a while. It's one of the things that we've lacked for a while is that sort of those marking targets, you know, coming out of the back line and, you know, just having that person you can kick to, who can, you know, take that one-on-one mark. So it seems to be working pretty well.”

From Don The Stat: Don The Stat 2024 - Dale Tapping (Essendon Assistant Coach) Interview, 10 Jul 2024

That was a difficult read just simply to the number of “you know”’s written out haha.

Good resigning. Fair bit to work on, mainly constent appetite for the contest but even more to work with.

Could be real wildcard and even the team is just starting to learn how to better exploit some match ups.

we do need to limit times he will be exploitedInfir example In the wet, or when get snashed at around the ground clearance and both him and Jones still playing wing.

I see him as wing/blicavs/ brett burton/ final years richo type roles

Two years says to me they’re very unsure about where he’s at. At his age, clubs are trying to lock down potential stars for 5, 6, even 7 years. Even three years at his age is a decent show of faith. Two years is really a shitty contract at this stage, and there wasn’t a peep that there might be interest elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two years says to me they’re very unsure about where he’s at. At his age, clubs are trying to lock down potential stars for 5, 6, even 7 years. Even three years at his age is a decent show of faith. Two years is really a shitty contract at this stage, and there wasn’t a peep that there might be interest elsewhere.
Pretty standard for us actually. See Hobbs, Perkins, Zerk, Tsatas etc. Two year contracts until Free Agency

Doesn’t a shorter term deal work better for both parties in this case given we know he is going to put on weight and be more formidable in 2 years time and he’s still an unproven commodity.

might well be something Cox wants. Seems more likely to me. Gives him a chance to really gain some value before the big contract. Makes sense given his physical development too. He would have been crazy to lock himself into a long contract at the money he would be worth now

• Getting forward
  • Helping out down back

Dale Tapping -

Collingwood champion Nathan Buckley said. “The game style that they played with their wingers running so hard forward, it actually fed into a high transitional game which has been one of their strengths, but it was how Adelaide got back into the game,” he added.

Cox has definitely been slipping into the forward 50 for a few goals but is this killing our defensive spread?

One of the main reasons we get rebounded against is him. He is too slow for the wing. Most wingers have speed. His opponent always runs off him and puts on 10-20 meters for the overlap.

So if we're playing a 200cm wing, you'd at least want them to take contested grabs. Cox can't. Our structure can't be good with him on the wing.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #13: Nik Cox - Subbed out vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back