Past #15: Ben Ross - #3 in '06 PSD - delisted at end '11 season - JJL '12 VFL winner - HFC rookie '14

Who Will Be Better

• Ben Ross

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cameron Thurley

• Lance Piciaone

• Shane Harvey

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

the purple patch we had and the games we played an exciting brand of football coincided with the inclusion of these youngsters,it seems to me that maybe some people on this board enjoy mediocrity because it's safe to keep playing the tried and true,well i got news for you they are not good enough as proven in the last 2 finals series.

Exactly - even if we lose tonight, we're better off doing it with Gav and Rossy in the side.

The opportunity cost of playing the seasoned campaigners is that we miss out on the chance to get a finals game into some of our youngsters.

And if we have learnt anything from last year's finals series and the fact we finished 7th this year, we still have a way to go.

Youth :thumbsu:

Hang on a second. I just read a thread about us not playing underdone players or players that havent had alot of games in the seniors. Edwards, Thommo, Sinclair were all mentioned as being either column A or column b.

Well looking at Ben Ross, he comes under both categories. Only played about 3-4 games and is also coming back from an ankle injury or did these facts escape people.
Ross with injuries and no fitness > Brown.

Ross with injuries and no fitness > Brown.

That goes without saying but it seems to me people use certain arguments when it suits them.

Like we cant play Thommo underdone but we can play Ross.

Re: 15. Ben Ross

How do people see Bens development for next year? Possibly best 22?

Personally I think he is in the mould of a Brent Harvey type, obviously a high possession winner with good leg speed. Will be a great player, just a matter of time.

Re: 15. Ben Ross

Haha! The Boss and I became facebook friends (a.k.a BF's 4 life) so my player watch is all the more interesting now. Called it from the first time I saw him play two years ago that he would be a very important player for us in the future and, dare I say it, be hailed as the greatest bargain pick of the decade.
Late work led me to post this so do not judge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:confused:

I thought at the end of last yr he was only out of the team because of an ankle injury and would come back in as soon as he was fit. His games against Port and Collingwood were great:thumbsu: and I thought he was a very good player.

Now I don't see a lot of VFL but Carbo's reports show The Boss carving up the VFL for the last 2 years.

Do u reckon he should be in the side?

I don't wanna go on and on about it but the game Ross played against Port is better than Sammy Power has ever produced in his whole career:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

If Power plays and Ross doesn't play against Essendon, then Laids is taking the piss.

His AFL form wasn't great last year, so you'd think Dean is just making 100% sure he is ready to have another crack at it. The biggest mistake you can make with young players these days is playing them too early.

who knows.

I think Laidley is worried, if he brings in too many inexperienced blokes we will slide backwards in the short term and he wont get another contract.

He has done it for 7 years, nothing will change.

Greenwood, Ross, Warren = Future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #15: Ben Ross - #3 in '06 PSD - delisted at end '11 season - JJL '12 VFL winner - HFC rookie '14

Back