Player Watch #15: Dylan Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

He is a very skilled player, although it wasn't a good look he still has much to offer but needs to get the non contests out of his game. Plenty of players like Dyl who have hardened up over the course of their careers. I think LDU was highlighted in the media for a lack of intent not that long ago. There is a very capable player there.

He is what he is.
And it cost us a goal.
After heartbreaking losses against the Pies and Demons, you can see how much the win meant to the playing group.

If you cant go when its your turn, then that means your teammates won't trust you. And that is cancerous for an up and coming side. Bye bye.
I don't care about the contract. Earn a game on merit and earn the respect of your teammates. He has none at the moment.

No one went up to him after that effort because he simply isn't going to change. He is not going to crack in next time.
Recruiters will tell you, there's some footballers who have it and there are some who don't. What that is the appetite for the contest, to be hit and to hit back.
Were wasting our time and his.

Last edited:
Sorry it’s still a no from me. I can see why they want him in the side with his run and kicking but he plays scared. At least his decision making wasn’t so rushed this week. But the side of him that plays scared, won’t go when it’s his turn etc just cannot be accepted. I don’t understand people comparing this to Stephenson, and saying well he is no worse in that regard. Since when is that the bench mark for uncompromising effort in the contest? I don’t need him to be a Glen Archer - just say a Sam Gibson.

Not entirely sure he was going to gain any advantage if he'd taken that possession on the wing to be fair. Maybe he could have fumbled the ball over the boundary line. More than likely he would have been gang tackled and that would have likely led to a free against.

I'm not seeing the same level of angst for the mis kicks by LDU, Sheez, Elvis and even Colby that directly turned the ball over.

I hold out hope that Stevens can succeed in this team as they rise up over the next couple of years.
From memory he was surrounded by about 4 gc players as well. He wanted to keep his feet so they didn't loop it around him.

It wasn't his worst squib by any stretch. But he's got a reputation now.

Sorry it’s still a no from me. I can see why they want him in the side with his run and kicking but he plays scared. At least his decision making wasn’t so rushed this week. But the side of him that plays scared, won’t go when it’s his turn etc just cannot be accepted. I don’t understand people comparing this to Stephenson, and saying well he is no worse in that regard. Since when is that the bench mark for uncompromising effort in the contest? I don’t need him to be a Glen Archer - just say a Sam Gibson.
It's also not true. Stehpenson won't allow himself to get poleaxed, he leans towards the non contact option, flick the ball on, outmanoeuvre his opponent but he would have made contact with that ball and worn the ball up no question.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Picture this in 2 years time when we are in a must win final. 5 mins to go and he is in the position again to take the body heat, or pull up. Don’t want this type of behavior from someone in our best 22. Bad look for player, team mates and club. His choice alone to change his ways, or play out his career in the 2nds.

Had a moment in the first half where he went for a loose ball and won a free kick, thought he might’ve turned the corner.
But not going in that contest in the 3rd, really hurt us.
He doesn't need to be courageous necessary, just go for the ball if it's there to be won.

It’s a pretty simple equation for mine.

He does some good work.

That good work is undone when he doesn’t go when it’s his turn.

To be a long term player he needs to address that.

There will be times where him competing is a not negotiable. His test came in the third and he failed it.

Not too many legitimate wingmen are known for their physicality and raw courage, but more for their pace, endurance, and skills, but, i agree with everyone else, at Nth, when it's your turn to go, you go.
Schwatta would’ve cleaned the bloke up, won the pill, taken a couple of bounces and pinged the goal.

I would have even been satisfied if he attempted a deflection. But standing there crapping ones pants isnt a good look.
At the ground it looked ordinary, very....

On the replay about 10 seconds prior he ran back into a contest and spoiled the contest and then in the next contest both he and the sun's player stopped and looked at each and the ball , was like they were both scared of inflicting a head high contact if either of them bent down for the ball.

Or maybe they both shat themselves, it was the second sun's player who got the ball.

At the ground I personally delisted him on the spot.

After the replay on TV I'll give him one more benefit of the doubt across that 20 sec play.

I'd probably give him the benefit of the doubt too but when he got subbed... yikes. Didn't help that it happened right in front of the NMFC members wing. They were absolutely livid and fair enough to be honest.

In a finals-like high pressure game like yesterday, you gotta go. NDS was as soft as they come but it didn't stop him putting in when it was his turn.

Class players can be hard at it when required. Don't have to break bones or become Ben Cunnington, they just have to dig in, win the ball and job done.

The equation is simple. He goes in that moment and I reckon he's not subbed.

His good out weighs his bad at the moment, he’ll be best 22 or there abouts for the remainder of the season. He’ll be depth next year particularly if we move Colby up to the wing and / or draft FOS.

It was very poor, and he knew it as he walked back to position. But what I also didn't like was not seeing one player go across to him and encourage him to do better next time.

They're probably sick of him doing it at least once per game. It wasn't even a heavy contest, it was literally a refusal to even take a tackle.

Do we hang him on that one incident? No. If we hung each of our players on one error, NMFC would resemble the Bangkok gallows.

We can all remember the Benny Jacobs moment vs Syd in the 2014 Prelim. His career was over. But 12months later, he was an A Grade tagger.

He's got 3 years after this year. It's up to him. Does he go the J Stephenson path & tread water for the rest of his contract, or does he make the necessary changes to his game?

Fisher ain't the toughest nut going around either.

We've been told to trust those in charge. They offered Stephens & Fisher 4 year deals. You have to assume they knew what they were getting....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back