AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Re-signed for two more years - 3/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks bereft of confidence and confused as to what his role should be. Playing him as the sub is making this even worse IMO.
Keep him sub and berate him at training. Have him carry the drinks and tidy up the rooms. Knock every bit of ego out of him and then we can start again.

Keep him sub and berate him at training. Have him carry the drinks and tidy up the rooms. Knock every bit of ego out of him and then we can start again.
**** that, send him to the VFL. He's way too comfortable just being an AFL player that gets a game every week. Make him go play in front of 500 people in the ressies with the other hacks so he can understand that he isn't special.

**** that, send him to the VFL. He's way too comfortable just being an AFL player that gets a game every week. Make him go play in front of 500 people in the ressies with the other hacks so he can understand that he isn't special.
He can sit on the bench for 3 and a half quarters in the VFL training for the sub role at the higher level. Get robbo to publish a few articles on the giant turd that was our 2020 draft.

Something I can't get past is when Archie made an anecdote during a podcast earlier in the year where he spoke about the boys all going to sports events together while in the US and he said "I find it a bit boring, to be honest". A professional athlete and he's not interested in sport. Going by his Instagram he loves partying, partying, and a bit more partying. That should have been a red flag pre-draft.

As an aside, does he have the capacity to play behind the ball? Daicos and Sheezel both found their feet at AFL level coming off half-back and have moved up-field with more confidence because of it. Perkins has a good tank, good height and seems a decent kick. Maybe send him down back in place of Martin for a block if they're not going to send him to the VFL for a bit. Let the play come to him.

As an aside, does he have the capacity to play behind the ball? Daicos and Sheezel both found their feet at AFL level coming off half-back and have moved up-field with more confidence because of it. Perkins has a good tank, good height and seems a decent kick. Maybe send him down back in place of Martin for a block if they're not going to send him to the VFL for a bit. Let the play come to him.
Makes way too much sense, not the Essendon way at the moment.

Something I can't get past is when Archie made an anecdote during a podcast earlier in the year where he spoke about the boys all going to sports events together while in the US and he said "I find it a bit boring, to be honest". A professional athlete and he's not interested in sport. Going by his Instagram he loves partying, partying, and a bit more partying. That should have been a red flag pre-draft.
He actually was talking about us sport specifically and that’s he’s not a big fan of it and doesn’t follow any teams. That’s not an issue

Look, his past two months have been terrible. No hiding that. And he should have gone to the VFL as well. More because he's playing devoid of any confidence than anything else. I think long term we need to turn him into a high possession half forward who averages 1.5-2 goals and goal assists per game, like Gryan Miers (not expecting him to get to that level). That's how he plays his best footy. That's where his value for us would be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know I don’t think he’d really care all that much. His money would still be the same. I also don’t think he’s the only one who’s comfortable being an AFL player.
Just to mention a few, McGrath, Redman and Ridley who are senior players give me that vibe a lot of the time.

He’s still the same player who had 24 possies 12 tackles and 2 goals round 1, just has lost confidence. Had the mid season injury if your body and mind aren’t firing 100% this can be the result.

I’m not giving up on him in the slightest, but the end of the season can’t come fast enough.

If we are gonna insist playing him in the seniors throw him back, it might just reset his mind. See the field in front of you and beat your man. Simple

Doesn’t have a defensive bone in his body. How many more of those types can we have in our backline..?

Would Jake Melksham be a good comparison to Archie? We tried to make Snake a mid for most of his career (and he occasionally murdered teams), but it turned out that a smart, athletic forward half player with a great kick who normally only got X-teen disposals a game was best suited for half forward.... go figure.

Just leave him in the forward line and let him do his thing (form warrants in the VFL right now).

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Re-signed for two more years - 3/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Back