AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Re-signed for two more years - 3/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought the first half on the wing looked okay minus a couple of usual Perkins moments. Once we gave up those few goals on turnover in the third and the team went down hill so did Archie. Will say he got burnt by the midfielders a couple of times. He picked up their opponents and they let Ollie run loose into the forward half. Parish did it twice.
I have big reservations but for me if he ever makes it to being a solid B grade player it will be wing or half forward. I wonder if he could paly half back flank ? the defensive structure in that is not as complicated.

Thought the first half on the wing looked okay minus a couple of usual Perkins moments. Once we gave up those few goals on turnover in the third and the team went down hill so did Archie. Will say he got burnt by the midfielders a couple of times. He picked up their opponents and they let Ollie run loose into the forward half. Parish did it twice.
I have big reservations but for me if he ever makes it to being a solid B grade player it will be wing or half forward. I wonder if he could paly half back flank ? the defensive structure in that is not as complicated.
Amazing to think of the narrative after his performance in round 1 and the number of people, myself included, who thought he was ready to take the next step and had all the attributes to become our next emerging star.

All the attributes except an ability to retain a focused intensity, in-game and in-season.

Last edited:
Parish did it twice.
Watching on tv I had a sense that Parish was expending very little effort defensively. Not talking about tackling at source, more so his defensive running and positioning in non-stoppage situations. He left gaping holes for forwards to lead into a couple of times on slow entries.

Did it look any different live?

Watching on tv I had a sense that Parish was expending very little effort defensively. Not talking about tackling at source, more so his defensive running and positioning in non-stoppage situations. He left gaping holes for forwards to lead into a couple of times on slow entries.

Did it look any different live?
Looked worse. You are right. It was the Parish of old when it came to defensive transition.

I'd like to see him as a permanent forward, in the Stringer role, perhaps pinch hitting in the middle or up the ground occasionally. Problem with that is we can't have him and Stringer playing that same role, not with resting ruck/FF, Langford, Caddy and Jones.

Best option is probably move Stringer on and see if Perkins can do it full time. It'd be worth holding onto Stringer if we were going to challenge in the next couple years, but we're definitely further away than that.

I thought he did ok the couple of times I seen him in the backline. Has the potential to outmark similar sized opponents.

The problem with this guy is he is incredibly lazy and lacks the competitiveness to impact at this level. He really doesn’t have a position on the ground I’d be comfortable playing him, certainly not on a wing where you need to run all day and be accountable when the opposition is transitioning the footy. The only position he might get away with is small forward and even then his inability to apply any sort of defensive pressure would only hurt our already inept forward line. I’d love to be proved otherwise but I think this guy is as big a bust as we’ve had in terms of first round/top 10 picks…

Edit: Mind you, glancing over that 2020 draft it would have to go down as one of the worst of all time and outside a couple of players picked after Archie (Holmes, McCreery?) I don’t think we could’ve done any better to be honest.

Not even sure it is laziness with Archie I think his brain isn't fast enough I am not sure I have seen anyone so bewildered at this level. He is caught in no mans land - do I hold space or do I go then ends up doing nothing deer in headlights stuff. He probably looks better at VFL as it is a bit slower and less pressure. Agree with others who say forward or bust.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i’d love to know how people can tell if a player is lazy or just a spud
I think if you’re lazy you end up being a spud. There’s not a whole lot of proactive spuds out there.

I mean I’m no spud expert… actually maybe I am after supporting this team for the last 20 years. Maybe we all are spud experts. Maybe I’m a spud.

Not even sure it is laziness with Archie I think his brain isn't fast enough I am not sure I have seen anyone so bewildered at this level. He is caught in no mans land - do I hold space or do I go then ends up doing nothing deer in headlights stuff. He probably looks better at VFL as it is a bit slower and less pressure. Agree with others who say forward or bust.
Think this is more on the money. Slow reactions and transition leads to a bit of ball watching and being way out of position at times.

Has no idea what to do when he doesn't have the ball. Gets in peoples way, doesn't chase, doesn't present as a target. Should play as a small forward so at least when he gets the ball he can use what natural instincts he does appear to have and get a shot on goal away.

I think if you’re lazy you end up being a spud. There’s not a whole lot of proactive spuds out there.

I mean I’m no spud expert… actually maybe I am after supporting this team for the last 20 years. Maybe we all are spud experts. Maybe I’m a spud.
Mark Bolton wasn't lazy, but outside of playing on Goodes once or twice a year he was rubbish.

Edit: Mind you, glancing over that 2020 draft it would have to go down as one of the worst of all time and outside a couple of players picked after Archie (Holmes, McCreery?) I don’t think we could’ve done any better to be honest.
Maybe we could've targeted a player from a club who wasn't going to have these high draft picks get pushed back by a first pick vid? Dunkley was 100% the player to target but Dodo couldn't have picked a worse club to try and trade with considering Jamarra was always going to be bid on at #1.

At the same age as Perkins the most clearances Caldwell had in a game was 6. Perkins started this year with 8 in a best on ground performance and 7 against Sydney the week after. Caldwell didn't get 6 or more again until round 20 of his fifth season. In his 4th season like Perkins is, he was averaging 3.0 clearances. Perkins is averaging 2.9. That isn't to say he will surpass him. But people need to chill out as growth can be slow like Caldwells until it isn't. The guy is in bad form and isn't really moving that well but he was a half forward and has had like a year of development in the role. Even if he fades out the year, I'm willing to bet he comes back a very good player next, as he is on the cusp of AFL required running but not quite there yet.
Sometimes it’s not just the numbers, it’s using your eyes.

Do you want Perkins ending up playing 200 games for Essington or making him another club’s problem and we try and get better as a club?

Has no idea what to do when he doesn't have the ball. Gets in peoples way, doesn't chase, doesn't present as a target. Should play as a small forward so at least when he gets the ball he can use what natural instincts he does appear to have and get a shot on goal away.
So we play him in the position you most need to position yourself well without the ball, chase, stay out of people's way and present as a target?

Looks to me he's lacking power in his legs to chase. He's usually strong enough to stand up in a tackle so he probably has good core strength but doesn't have an explosive burst like Stringer or Shiel. Needs to spend the summer doing squats and a lot of base kms of running, swimming or cycling.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Re-signed for two more years - 3/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Back