AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Re-signed for two more years - 3/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure based on any evidence from last night were looking to develop him as a full time midfielder?

He literally played 100% of the game forward in the first 3 qtrs

Isnt that what you want? Him as a fwd
I go back to what I have just said. He is training with the midfield group and the forward group. It is not just what he is doing on game day. He is splitting the development time over two groups when he needs to be developing his best asset. There is no way he can be honing the forward craft 100% is he is putting half or even more of his energy into learning midfield behind the scenes. It is an each way bet and it is not helping him find consistent form. The evidence has been in articles on the EFC website saying he is working with both groups and they are trying to develop him as a midfielder.

I go back to what I have just said. He is training with the midfield group and the forward group. It is not just what he is doing on game day. He is splitting the development time over two groups when he needs to be developing his best asset. There is no way he can be honing the forward craft 100% is he is putting half or even more of his energy into learning midfield behind the scenes. It is an each way bet and it is not helping him find consistent form. The evidence has been in articles on the EFC website saying he is working with both groups and they are trying to develop him as a midfielder.
Id say alot of small forwards do some sort of midfield training

Im fine with them developing him as a midfielder but we need to see evidence he is capable there. He hasnt been given a large enough sample there yet, ala 6 weeks VFL onball. I dont see an issue with that

His entire career going forward will have some sort of midfield work game day every now and again

Id say alot of small forwards do some sort of midfield training
I am not going around in circles. Yes they some small forwards do some midfield training. They are not doing it with the view of becoming full time midfielders which IS the current plan the club has for Perkins. That is the fact.

DaringUntimelyIguanodon-max-1mb.gif

I hope he makes some strides in the midfield. I myself don't see it but coaches must.

Did he play any midfield in his junior days?

I hope he makes some strides in the midfield. I myself don't see it but coaches must.

Did he play any midfield in his junior days?
Mixture of midfield and back and forward.

Yeah wouldn’t really worry what players ran at combine as half those players don’t use speed in game. Langford had a quick 20m sprint.
Dk why you are comparing Perkins to Pendlebury. Pendlebury has movements only a few players in history have. You say Perkins has elite agility. Well Pendles has even better than that. One of the greatest ball users of all time which Perkins is a poor ball user tbh. Footy IQ levels are a bit different.
What are Perkins strengths out of curiosity?

Perkins is a dream athlete, quick, agile, good endurance and poweful, but he's not a very smart footballer and doesn't have a good read of the game so he's not in a position to use the speed.

Perkins is a dream athlete, quick, agile, good endurance and poweful, but he's not a very smart footballer and doesn't have a good read of the game so he's not in a position to use the speed.
So out of the Covid kids (2020) which one had the best footy brain?

Good call I seen it today. My point is out of those kids I thought Archie was quite instinctive in that year before drafting and I also believe that year off impeded his development. I also believe at the minute he is the cream of that crop.

Good call I seen it today. My point is out of those kids I thought Archie was quite instinctive in that year before drafting and I also believe that year off impeded his development. I also believe at the minute he is the cream of that crop.
Well he is the only one playing games. Would be a problem if one of the others was doing better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gulden without looking
You understand my point though? I don’t think Archie has been that bad. I think that year of drafting is akin to having a learning disability. This is why I don’t care if his trajectory is slower than some others. Everyone thought Einstein was a dumb ass because he was too slow.

I think the instinct you are referring to is more about what happens when the ball is in the area.

It's not game smarts as much as it is raw response to the ball being near and it is usually based on physical capability. It's definitely what makes for a good highlights reel.

Game intelligence or smarts, I think, is more about how a player fits into the run of the play almost exclusively without the ball.

Where to be to effect a spoil or a tackle or holding width to use natural assets outside. Ball accumulation is definitely a footy IQ thing.

The IQ can definitely be learned, at least partially, because it is intertwined with tactical set ups, but some players are better at it than others.

My boy Laverde, at least the glimpses that had me thinking he could be a stoppages monster, is all instinct but pretty low on the IQ front. As a defender he has a much more natural feel for the game and where to be.

Last edited:
Just needs some more intent.

He’s not soft at all….but needs a little
more made dog in the way he plays. Give him Guelfis mindset and he’s a star.

I think the instinct you are referring to is more about what happens when the ball is in the area.

It's not game smarts as much as it is raw response to the ball bearing near and it is usually based on physical capability.

Game intelligence or smarts, I think, is more about how a player fits into the run of the play without the ball.

Where to be to effect a spoil or a tackle or holding width to use the assets outside.

The IQ can definitely be learned, because it is intertwined with tactical set ups, but some players are better at it than others.

My boy Laverde, at least the glimpses that had me thinking he could be a stoppages monster, is all instinct but pretty low on the IQ. As a defender he has a much more natural feel for the game.
Just want to let you know Bruno I do respect you and good reply thanks. I agree with a lot that you say. I agree he may not be a stoppage monster. I also think that Jake Stringer is not a stoppage monster as he can’t do it all day.

There was a time I thought Lav could be anything but no. Truck did a wonderful job with him and I’ll be honest he was worthy of votes in his last outing. But like you wanted to see the transition to big mid. Only one I seen scratch that itch is Setters and now wow Hobbs. Ant is correct I think that he won’t live up to the hype and will be more a half forward so he should focus on that.

If he can be like Jake though he will be a bloody good half forward. I believe he can get to that level.

How do people think Perkins is going?

I do rate him and want him to do well but I can't help but feel a little underwhelmed by some of his performances and play recently. Just feel he could get involved a little more and I question some of his decision making with ball in hand at times i.e. I think he blazes away a bit rather than looking for a shorter/better option by hand or foot.

i think an understated part of his game right now is his accurate goalkicking. in a season where we've seen many clubs kick single digit goals and double digit points frequently (like last weekend), his set shot accuracy is elite. i look forward to his continued growth and him staying apart of our core 22.

I do rate him and want him to do well but I can't help but feel a little underwhelmed by some of his performances and play recently. Just feel he could get involved a little more and I question some of his decision making with ball in hand at times i.e. I think he blazes away a bit rather than looking for a shorter/better option by hand or foot.

Tracking fine; each year has seen him get more disposals, marks, goals, tackles, and has seen a jump in i50 this season. Has played the 2nd most games of his draft class (behind Gulden).

He hasn't had a drastic jump in any particular area, but he's steadily improving in each of them and has been fairly durable.

still plenty optimistic, hasn’t really ‘broken out’ but he’s improving slowly/steadily. he seems to wanna be the guy taking the high pressure clutch shots which i love to see in a young fella. he’s also the handsomest man alive.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Re-signed for two more years - 3/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Back