AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Re-signed for two more years - 3/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe he will but there is a reason why good clearance players are good clearance players. They do not fumble much and they make quick decisions in close. He did well playing the defensive body and his work around the ground was at a much more consistent level. Maybe hos role in the middle will be to just use his size and leave the rest for Parish / Merrett and Hobbs and then build on his work in general play. We actually do not need him to be a clearance beast as such.
Perkins in at center bounce job shouldn’t be to win clearance, If anything he should be last resort. If he’s direct opponent isn’t winning first hands or receive, job done.

Last edited:
Perkins in at center bounce job shouldn’t be to win clearance, If anything he should be last resort. If he’s direct opponent isn’t winning first hands or receive job done.
I think when he was getting (fumbling) the clearance it was more because the ball fell his way rather than being by design

I think when he was getting (fumbling) the clearance it was more because the ball fell his way rather than being by design
Yep I agree, obviously there will be times he needs to be clean when the ball spills out, there was a few times when he did break free and got a clean handball away. But we don’t need archie chasing the tap, his job is to minimize his opponents impact.

Struggling big time.
The trial is over isn’t a midfielders left toe. Similar to Langford develop him on a half forward flank and we will see an actual good player
His best footy is forward of centre for sure. Looked flat as a tack after being pantsed by Danger.

I think the loss of Setters with Stringer's fitness forced them to try him midfield. Has never shown anything in the middle IMO.

Agreed, should have learn't from the Langford exp.

Sub this week for mine

He Beat Cripps, forced Adelaide to move Dawson to the half-back line and nullified Danger more than we did in Round 6. He had a dirty night against Bont but he’s made lots of players look silly in his career. One bad game shouldn’t mean we can Perkins in the midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The exposure he is getting this year should help him moving forward. Exited to see what another pre season will do, looks a 1.5 goal 20 possession a game weapon for us in the future.

this is the painful part of development.

he's going to take time to shine in the midfield.

this is the painful part of development.

he's going to take time to shine in the midfield.
Alot of the bigger guys do, especially those with forward craft/ability

Petracca
Degoey
Rayner - Still yet to
Dusty

He had a bad game but his 2 weeks prior were pretty good and his game vs Dawson and Bont very good

Wouldnt be against the L.Parker move this week

And if we lose we ramp up his midfield time again for the last 4 weeks at AFL level

The clearer we are on him as a midfielder makes our drafting clarity better for this year

Had 19 disp and 9 CP just a week ago vs Dangerfield who he nullified more than usual for us and it was in a drumming

Im glad weve explored the midfield

I was asking for a 6 week patch in the VFL, theyve done it in the AFL showing that the future is of more importance right now. Like it, brave

Had 19 disp and 9 CP just a week ago vs Dangerfield who he nullified more than usual for us and it was in a drumming

Im glad weve explored the midfield

I was asking for a 6 week patch in the VFL, theyve done it in the AFL showing that the future is of more importance right now. Like it, brave

I see you are adding eggcorns to your posts.

His run with ability has been good to see but are we really happy that pick 6 has had to resort to running with players to find his midfield groove ? It is similar to McGrath . Pick 1 to be a decent back pocket. Right now he is on track to be a good player but we need him to be more than a good player. He is playing well in the midfield but his actual clearance craft is still bellow average. Not sure finding your run with bloke in the top 10 is really ideal.
Flame away. :thumbsu:

His run with ability has been good to see but are we really happy that pick 6 has had to resort to running with players to find his midfield groove ? It is similar to McGrath . Pick 1 to be a decent back pocket. Right now he is on track to be a good player but we need him to be more than a good player. He is playing well in the midfield but his actual clearance craft is still bellow average. Not sure finding your run with bloke in the top 10 is really ideal.
Flame away. :thumbsu:

Jack Steele started out mainly as a run-with player who developed in to a genuinely good midfielder in his own right didn't he?

Jack Steele started out mainly as a run-with player who developed in to a genuinely good midfielder in his own right didn't he?
You confident that Perkins will be as good as Steele ?

You confident that Perkins will be as good as Steele ?

Different player, Perkins has more forward-nous whilst Steele is a naturally defensive midfielder anyway. Just someone that sprung to mind as having started out being a run-with player that was able to grow in to a genuinely good midfielder. I don't know what his history was pre-draft though.

Perkins is looking like he's more a FWD / MID than a MID / FWD at this stage, which is fine really, just means we need some more marking power in the midfield group still.

Different player, Perkins has more forward-nous whilst Steele is a naturally defensive midfielder anyway. Just someone that sprung to mind as having started out being a run-with player that was able to grow in to a genuinely good midfielder. I don't know what his history was pre-draft though.

Perkins is looking like he's more a FWD / MID than a MID / FWD at this stage, which is fine really, just means we need some more marking power in the midfield group still.
Steele was always an inside midfielder with a bit of clearance ability. A hard nut .

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Re-signed for two more years - 3/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Back