AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Re-signed for two more years - 3/6

Remove this Banner Ad

I think cumulative fatigue of the year has hit the entire club the last month.
He's not alone in having dropped right off, Hobbs, Caldwell, Martin all well down.

Agreed, whole list is limping to the finish line.

Maybe Scott smashed them in pre season more than we thought...

I think cumulative fatigue of the year has hit the entire club the last month.
He's not alone in having dropped right off, Hobbs, Caldwell, Martin all well down.
absolutely no doubt whatsoever in my mind that our drop off coincided almost precisely around the time that Draper got injured

absolutely no doubt whatsoever in my mind that our drop off coincided almost precisely around the time that Draper got injured
massive presence missing. one of those bullocking rucks who throws his weight around.
I see Bryan being the better pure ruck, but Draper having that Nank/Mumford level presence. Even Gawn does it.

He's tracking to be a very good player in time. But currently, not great.

Question is, will there be a Langford like higher tier that gets magically unlocked somewhere down the track? Maybe even 5 years from now.

He's been slowly building each season, going up in each of disposals, marks, goals, tackles, i50s and clearances year by year.

According to Excel (because I'm lazy) 2024 Perkins should average approximately 16.8 disposals, 4.9 marks, 1.1 goals, 3.4 tackles, 3.9 i50s and 1.8 clearances per game. Similar offensive impact to Ben Ainsworth but with more tackles and clearances.

Was very good in the first half. Haven’t seen that marking ability he possesses in a while. We really need him to learn to become that option on the flanks, to help transition.

Yeah, I thought there were some big, grin invoking moments against West Coast, too.

There has been a lot of talk about our lack of a star.

If there is anyone on our list who has star power it is Perkins. He's the profile of the player everyone wants and who will always be talked about, at draft time, as having the potential of a Grey, Petracca or what Rozee is becoming (if he's not already there).

I feel like Archie is a bit of a forgotten man. He'll finish year 3 with at least 60 games and 3 basically full pre-seasons. That's a significant win for us as he never got his top age year of TAC cup. If he had had a run like Cox or Reid I think we'd have to park any expectation of him becoming a game breaking md permanently, because he's not the world's most natural mid.

I'd like to have seen him take a few games apart by now but I don't think we need to be pessimistic about Archie. He's built a nice base as a full time footballer, as someone with a great natural endurance base. It's the base from which he can build into the workload of a midfielder. A fourth full preseason as a mid could have him primed for a real break out next year.

Just got to keep everything crossed that he can get to the line for R1 2024 fully fit.

Agreed, whole list is limping to the finish line.

Maybe Scott smashed them in pre season more than we thought...
I think it’s the load our 21 year olds have had for a sustained period now. Martin, Hobbs, Durham, Perkins and Caldwell (older but just), have all had to do the heavy lifting without Guelfi, Shiel, Setters and Parish for extended periods.

I think it’s the load our 21 year olds have had for a sustained period now. Martin, Hobbs, Durham, Perkins and Caldwell (older but just), have all had to do the heavy lifting without Guelfi, Shiel, Setters and Parish for extended periods.

Probably the most simple explanation.

They've also had to do the heavy lifting later on in the year, not early doors when they looked like they had a little bit more pep in their step.

I'd be hopeful Perkins can be in that very small 20 disposals and a goal a game group next year, currently at 15.5 and .85 per game.

It is pretty simple for us now. He has to step up to a new level next year . Learnings will be over.
yep
i think the leeway from the covid interruptions is at an end now.
60 games is a good showing. Next 2 years as he gets to 100 needs to be about cementing a role and excelling in it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel (hope) the club sees his forward play as the known commodity and are giving him this run in the mid-field to see if there is enough to work with. I agree with most that he does look to have that midfielders instinct, but it's not a bad thing to try out, especially with nobody else with size really to play the role.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

This guy is coming

Him and Hobbs very good today

His standup in that tackle late huge strength, no one has a write to get that out

Im also seeing small bits of big game player, loves the close games where they are there to win

13 disp last half was it?

The plus side was he was in the right spots and read the play well . The down side was he could not get a handle on the ball and fumbled away probably 6 clearances.
At least he kicked the goal.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh. I'm seeing someone who can't be a one-touch receiver at a stoppage and whose kicking isn't very clean.

Yes he's strong through the core but he's been demonstrating that because he holds the ball too long looking for his next disposal, which isn't very clean when he does. Takes a good strong mark though.

These are reasons why I'd like them to develop his mid game in the VFL, because I think he can be better. In two years he'll be a beast, but if his possession and disposal isn't clean, what's the point?

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh. I'm seeing someone who can't be a one-touch receiver at a stoppage and whose kicking isn't very clean.

Yes he's strong through the core but he's been demonstrating that because he holds the ball too long looking for his next disposal, which isn't very clean when he does. Takes a good strong mark though.

These are reasons why I'd like them to develop his mid game in the VFL, because I think he can be better. In two years he'll be a beast, but if his possession and disposal isn't clean, what's the point?
Hes getting enough mid clock at AFL

I got rail roaded for asking 10 weeks ago for him to do it at VFL and now thats all people have wanted since

But hes had a good stint there now, good exposure. I think he can be a ~25 disp, 1 goal a game player down the track

The plus side was he was in the right spots and read the play well . The down side was he could not get a handle on the ball and fumbled away probably 6 clearances.
At least he kicked the goal.
Needs to work on his hands / reflexes in close over summer. Is in the right spot just doesn’t have ability to take the ball cleanly. Other than that was excellent today

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Re-signed for two more years - 3/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Back