AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Re-signed for two more years - 3/6

Remove this Banner Ad

I think perkins could do with a batch of games in the 2's playing wing.
He is too similar to all our other tall/medium size forwards and is way down pecking order based on current output.

Would much rather see Hobbs play his current role, may not have the attacking nous but he wouldnt let his opposition player win such easy clearances thats for sure, and he when he was playing half forward earlier in the year our forwward half pressure was much better (we also were playing ADJ at that point)

I think perkins could do with a batch of games in the 2's playing wing.
He is too similar to all our other tall/medium size forwards and is way down pecking order based on current output.

Would much rather see Hobbs play his current role, may not have the attacking nous but he wouldnt let his opposition player win such easy clearances thats for sure, and he when he was playing half forward earlier in the year our forwward half pressure was much better (we also were playing ADJ at that point)
Agreed. I think we look like a better side with Hobbs in it, despite him not starring as an individual. Maybe just his physicality around stoppage is better than the likes of Perkins so it's less easy ball won by opposition mids.

He'd make good sides even better.

I think our problem is the coach wants to play a forward press with a side that's too tall and lacks leg speed.
Jake definitely has AFL qualities that will benefit an AFL club, I just think we should move past him and others around his age, play more youth, in the long run I feel this helps us.

Last edited:
Think he is naturally bit arrogant/ supremely confident. That's okay, you need it in a team. Also what makes him good.

Obvious Scott and co trying to get that out of some, to a team structure focus. Archie used to blaise away or try and do to much.

Anyone big Ted lasso fans? reminds me of Jamie tart. Lost form/confidence trying to find his way and do the team humble role.

Be a pr**k Archie. 🖕

Stringer, redman, draper other naturally cocky players have all clearly been less so in the last 18 months.

Draper still a work in progress.

I think perkins is trying to find the balance and totally deviod of the supreme confidence that makes him good. Will find the balance and be a better all round player and its just growing pains.

Or I just watched too much Ted Lasso again and perkins isn't that good.
Love this.
Love the, “be a pr**k” call!

I actually mentioned the same thing earlier this week. There are some parallels.

Cox is our new Kepler Bradley and Reid is the new Gumbleton.
DERO you might be our new…

Anton Ego from Ratatouille​

VILLAINS-6

The strict critic who used acidic words and destroyed careers.
;)

What does the club need Archie to be?

For mine it’s that hard running attacking midfielder akin to a Hugh McCluggage. Up and down the field. Get both forward and back. He's not a pure in and under midfielder and his man on man pressure seems well off the standard.

A positive is that he’s still young so when it comes to his development the ceiling is still high imo.

I just hope we get it right

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Archie was supposed to be one. That was the prophecy. Instead he's bog average and dodging bullets at the selection table.

Will call him Neo from now on.
This is great I still have hope.

Maybe at the very end, the last game his career or at least football ability will be resurrected from the dead and his anointment as the saviour of the essendon football club will be complete.

Hope he kicks 6 in thr last game and then I'll believe and take whatever pills they want.

Think he is naturally bit arrogant/ supremely confident. That's okay, you need it in a team. Also what makes him good.

Obvious Scott and co trying to get that out of some, to a team structure focus. Archie used to blaise away or try and do to much.

Anyone big Ted lasso fans? reminds me of Jamie tart. Lost form/confidence trying to find his way and do the team humble role.

Be a pr**k Archie. 🖕

Stringer, redman, draper other naturally cocky players have all clearly been less so in the last 18 months.

Draper still a work in progress.

I think perkins is trying to find the balance and totally deviod of the supreme confidence that makes him good. Will find the balance and be a better all round player and its just growing pains.

Or I just watched too much Ted Lasso again and perkins isn't that good.
I’m pretty sure I remember him saying the opposite. Archie seems to be more a confidence player and is prone to losing confidence and doubting his ability which is very evident in his career so far.

Continuing to play him in the midfield does him no favours. Needs to play forward full time to regain some confidence.

He’s just so out of form at the moment. It didn’t work as sub esp given the momentum when he came on. He needs vfl for a bit. I’d like to see a refreshed Archie in 2025.
To be honest, I don't think I've seen him in form. He plays well against Hawthorn for some weird reason, then puts his game sense away for the season. I'd happily trade him right now. He's seriously been carried this far.

How exactly? By winning games off his own boot? Pretty sure that’s how clubs climb the ladder. Forwards aren’t expected to have great numbers every weeks ffs

The fact we rely on Stringer to win us games proves my point about him keeping us mid table, if he had better teammates maybe the games he wins will amount to more than mid table finishes.

Another way to look at it, take Goldstein over Bryan for example we had a great start to the season because Goldy was playing well and gave our mids 1st use, now he's finished and in 2025 we'll need to find something else or play Bryan, had Bryan played 12-15 senior games this year he's 100 times better placed to attack 2025.

We don't seem to have a forward thinking plan, Hawkes booted JOM, Titch and Gunston cheaply to invest in kids who weren't ready/gave other chances in new roles and are seeing gains now.

We're doing the same thing with Perkins as worsfold did with Langford. And it's because we play Parish. He needs an "inside bull" as a chaperone in the midfield because of how soft he is

We're doing the same thing with Perkins as worsfold did with Langford. And it's because we play Parish. He needs an "inside bull" as a chaperone in the midfield because of how soft he is
ok its all parish's fault, but what's the excuse for the other 10 games this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Re-signed for two more years - 3/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Back