AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Re-signed for two more years - 3/6

Remove this Banner Ad

For a guy who gets a bit lost in the midfield, playing him on a wing seems like it was always destined to fail.

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him tried off a HBF for a while. Has a good tank, good overhead, generally a nice user who takes the play forwards. Maybe following a man around (he's done this OK in the midfield) will help his game.

For a guy who gets a bit lost in the midfield…

Maybe following a man around (he's done this OK in the midfield) will help his game.

Will never forget the game against the dogs last year when Perkins was following Bont around Marvel. Bont took the piss with 29 disposals, 2 goals and 11 marks. Perkins had 8 disposals and was barely sighted despite “following” the best player on the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His problem isn't what position he's played in, it's his desire. You could play Zak Butters in any position on the field and he'd find a way to have an impact because that's just who he is. Perkins shows no willingness to work hard to get involved in games no matter what position he's in, he just waits for the game to come to him. His attitude stinks.

His problem isn't what position he's played in, it's his desire. You could play Zak Butters in any position on the field and he'd find a way to have an impact because that's just who he is. Perkins shows no willingness to work hard to get involved in games no matter what position he's in, he just waits for the game to come to him. His attitude stinks.
Sounds like the kind of guy our players would vote into the leadership group 😊

Yeah, yet another player that only plays well in very specific conditions. The club is overrun with them.

having said that, chuck him into that loose man in defence role yodellinhank

Interesting couple of points at the end of the article around wanting to have fun in a high pressure environment. I feel like that’s what Geelong, Richmond, Collingwood and now hawthorn do so well.

Easy to have fun when you're winning, I suspect Richmond was fun but now isn't as fun, for example.

Its all well and good to say he should take Stringers spot but the problems I see are:
A) I have never seen him display the aggression/physicality Stringer has in congestion
B) arent most of us saying we cant fit both Stringer and Langford in same forward line?

If we cant find a new home for him or arent willing to move him on I think the coaching team needs to have an honest chat to him and make it clear he will be doing a long stint in VFL working on his craft. no more gifting games just because he is a high draft pick.

Its all well and good to say he should take Stringers spot but the problems I see are:
A) I have never seen him display the aggression/physicality Stringer has in congestion
B) arent most of us saying we cant fit both Stringer and Langford in same forward line?

If we cant find a new home for him or arent willing to move him on I think the coaching team needs to have an honest chat to him and make it clear he will be doing a long stint in VFL working on his craft. no more gifting games just because he is a high draft pick.

Perkins has a much better tank than Stringer and would play higher IMO. He generally takes the game forward and central when he gets possession, which I'd think makes him well suited to that high-half forward role if he's going to play anywhere.

We've got issues because we're trying to play 2 'tall' mediums alongside 1 - 2 genuine KPPs (I'd put Caddy in that category) and 1 - 2 Ruckmen. Neither of those mediums provide elite ground level pressure, nor does Wright or Draper, and we lack smalls with genuine closing speed. It's a bad mix.

Removing Stringer doesn't fix everything, but it opens up a spot for Perkins + a small who should both be more capable of providing ground level pressure and are younger which gives scope for the future.

Stringer is what he is, if we're not likely to be challenging in the next 2 years we're not going to get what we need from him and if he can get a good contract from a contender I'd say it probably works for both long-term for him to take it.

If he's staying, we need to use him more intelligently than we have been, and work out where Perkins fits in a forward-line that already has two medium sized goal-kickers, or I wouldn't be averse to seeing Martin back to the wing and trying Perkins off half-back given he's quite a decent kick and tends to go forward not sideways.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Re-signed for two more years - 3/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Back