AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Re-signed for two more years - 3/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Perkins has a much better tank than Stringer and would play higher IMO. He generally takes the game forward and central when he gets possession, which I'd think makes him well suited to that high-half forward role if he's going to play anywhere.

We've got issues because we're trying to play 2 'tall' mediums alongside 1 - 2 genuine KPPs (I'd put Caddy in that category) and 1 - 2 Ruckmen. Neither of those mediums provide elite ground level pressure, nor does Wright or Draper, and we lack smalls with genuine closing speed. It's a bad mix.

Removing Stringer doesn't fix everything, but it opens up a spot for Perkins + a small who should both be more capable of providing ground level pressure and are younger which gives scope for the future.

Stringer is what he is, if we're not likely to be challenging in the next 2 years we're not going to get what we need from him and if he can get a good contract from a contender I'd say it probably works for both long-term for him to take it.

If he's staying, we need to use him more intelligently than we have been, and work out where Perkins fits in a forward-line that already has two medium sized goal-kickers, or I wouldn't be averse to seeing Martin back to the wing and trying Perkins off half-back given he's quite a decent kick and tends to go forward not sideways.
You make some fair points, my concern with perkins though is despite the tank, and a beautiful kick he hasnt displayed much footy IQ to date, I know some will scoff at this but I think Jake has one of the strongest footy IQs in the team (which is what Merrett suggested in an interview earlier in season in lead up to Jakes 200th) which is why he can get away with the lack of tank.
100% agree though that the forward line balance is totally out of whack atm, but I think we need to back some of the young smalls instead of Perkins.

Easy to have fun when you're winning, I suspect Richmond was fun but now isn't as fun, for example.
Was thinking the same. Although the Tigers had to twist Hardwicke's arm a bit on the fun stakes but they had played some finals footy before they sat down mid 2016 and trashed out what was on peoples minds.

You make some fair points, my concern with perkins though is despite the tank, and a beautiful kick he hasnt displayed much footy IQ to date, I know some will scoff at this but I think Jake has one of the strongest footy IQs in the team (which is what Merrett suggested in an interview earlier in season in lead up to Jakes 200th) which is why he can get away with the lack of tank.
100% agree though that the forward line balance is totally out of whack atm, but I think we need to back some of the young smalls instead of Perkins.

I agree, Stringer has extremely high football IQ even if he's a bit selfish and/or lazy at times with what he chooses to do. He has a level of power few guys in the AFL possess and IMO if we keep him, he needs to just play as an undersized FF since there's no circumstance where a defender will allow him to sit unmanned in the forward-line, which forces the opposition to stretch their zone to keep him covered.

Perkins has all the physical tools needed to be a decent AFL player, I just don't think he's got the nous to play midfield which we tried this year. So either we play him as a high half-forward that can provide an aerial presence, a nice kick i50, offer a scoring option himself, and that has the ability to stand up in tackles over contested balls. Or we try him behind the ball where the play comes 'at' him - which is basically how he played midfield, worked off an opponent and relied on his physical ability to be useful.

I agree, Stringer has extremely high football IQ even if he's a bit selfish and/or lazy at times with what he chooses to do. He has a level of power few guys in the AFL possess and IMO if we keep him, he needs to just play as an undersized FF since there's no circumstance where a defender will allow him to sit unmanned in the forward-line, which forces the opposition to stretch their zone to keep him covered.

Perkins has all the physical tools needed to be a decent AFL player, I just don't think he's got the nous to play midfield which we tried this year. So either we play him as a high half-forward that can provide an aerial presence, a nice kick i50, offer a scoring option himself, and that has the ability to stand up in tackles over contested balls. Or we try him behind the ball where the play comes 'at' him - which is basically how he played midfield, worked off an opponent and relied on his physical ability to be useful.
It’s funny how they seem so determined to get him to be a midfielder. With Caldwell, Durham, Hobbs and Tsatas coming through, it’s clear that the clubs need is for him to be an effective forward.

club wants Jake to be a mid because when he’s not gassed he’s a really good mid.

Playing On Ball and resting HHF is what got him his last contract.

One of the highest IQ players and best users on the team.

When he’s playing one out as a pseudo key forward he gets overpowered by guys 10cm taller who are just as fast if not faster then he is.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #16: Archie Perkins - Re-signed for two more years - 3/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Back