Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - Requested A Trade To Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Bloke has played over 150 games
He wasn’t a fringe player
Yes he was. He played 45 out of a possible 60 odd at Freo. Acres was steak knives. You don't trade prime age 26-year-old for future 3rd round picks that you believe are staples in your side going forward. Been an astute pickup for Blues no doubt, but no one saw that coming.

cant wait to see weightman running off HB commencing 2026, & dogs posting 10 goals a game in the process
& missing finals 😂 😂
Amy Poehler What GIF

What might D Rioli be worth vs what might Gold Coast be prepared to pay

with the Gold Coast it could all be about the timing

they , headed by Hardwick, might believe he is the piece they are missing

the attacking half back , like Saad for Carlton , he seems to be a barometer for them

If the GC believe Dan is their missing piece and they have depth in young quality guys in the 2's and in their Academy

they may strike a deal the likes they'll never do again , we have to be all ears and not say too much

What might D Rioli be worth vs what might Gold Coast be prepared to pay

with the Gold Coast it could all be about the timing

they , headed by Hardwick, might believe he is the piece they are missing

the attacking half back , like Saad for Carlton , he seems to be a barometer for them

If the GC believe Dan is their missing piece and they have depth in young quality guys in the 2's and in their Academy

they may strike a deal the likes they'll never do again , we have to be all ears and not say too much

I mean they gave up Pick 2 for Lachie Weller and gifted Geelong a 1st Rd pick to take Bowes of their hands, so I imagine you'll see a few more pathetic decisions coming from those morons for years to come. Hopefully we can get in on the action.

I mean they gave up Pick 2 for Lachie Weller and gifted Geelong a 1st Rd pick to take Bowes of their hands, so I imagine you'll see a few more pathetic decisions coming from those morons for years to come. Hopefully we can get in on the action.
Tough call whether to trade or not.

Reasons to trade:

*He won’t be part of next flag
*we get really good picks probably to maybe get better players who will be part of premiership

Reasons not to:
* we will be worse without him for a few years
*leadership
*will we get a better player with his picks?
* could create losing culture if trade him as well as the others

On balance I think we trade if we get good picks because

*we will finish bottom 3 anyway next year at least, even if he stays
*we want highest possible draft picks next year too
*he is not a super on field leader
*his position is important but not critical

Eff. Disposals %
77.1​

Wouldn’t call that very average.
easy to hit targets when nobodys on you, as soon as someone touches him he turns it over or loopy handballs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. We need Dan to continue the role Sheeda played in when he first came to the club.

It would be embarrassing to lose all our Indigenous players in the one go.

I’d actually entertain keeping Coulthard on a rookie contract for another year. - seems close with Dan.

Terrible. Ok Laura Kane. Let's just hand out $100,000 reparations to any and all Aboriginals to close the gap. Coulthard hasn't shown a single thing all year when we've been decimated. Colina has as much chance playing seniors as Coulthard. Stack should still be on the list. Parker chose to leave. If the Riolis and Bolton ask for trades and Pickett is found guilty by a jury on evidence presented that's life! This isn't a competition where the winner has the most players with Aboriginal heritage for photo ops for the Indigenous rounds!!!! The clubs about to have its worst season EVER and got to make hard decisions on stalwarts like McIntosh, not try fill a DEI quota.

Terrible. Ok Laura Kane. Let's just hand out $100,000 reparations to any and all Aboriginals to close the gap. Coulthard hasn't shown a single thing all year when we've been decimated. Colina has as much chance playing seniors as Coulthard. Stack should still be on the list. Parker chose to leave. If the Riolis and Bolton ask for trades and Pickett is found guilty by a jury on evidence presented that's life! This isn't a competition where the winner has the most players with Aboriginal heritage for photo ops for the Indigenous rounds!!!! The clubs about to have its worst season EVER and got to make hard decisions on stalwarts like McIntosh, not try fill a DEI quota.
Pretty ignorant post mate. Your anger is misdirected.

I simply stated that it would be a consideration to keep Coulthard on the rookie list for another season to help Dan feel more comfortable at the club if Bolton and Pickett do leave.

Coulthard has actually played some decent footy in the VFL considering he has been one of the only AFL listed players in the team. He is a natural small forward playing in a team with no tall forwards. He doesn’t play midfield so his disposal numbers are down, but is creative and uses the ball well.
- Sonsie and Cumberland on the other hand get plenty of the ball but usually turn it over or make skill errors stuffing up the play. They have been gifted AFL games this season.
Remember this is Coulthard’s first real season.

The fact you brought up Stack and Parker shows your ignorance. They are irrelevant to the conversation.

Rioli was integral in building the culture that got us 3 flags. He is a legend of the club and should be looked at as a one club player.

There’s a lot that happens at football clubs that the average fan doesn’t understand.

If I was running a business and one of my best employees was looking at moving away, but I get 2 young employees with potential to replace him. Yeah that sounds awesome, but what If the guidance, experience that those young employees needed is now gone with that employee you let go??

Risky business.

I simply stated that it would be a consideration to keep Coulthard on the rookie list for another season to help Dan feel more comfortable at the club if Bolton and Pickett do leave.
Daniel is a big boy who will be perfectly fine without having Coulthard around.
now unless G.C wants Coulthard aswell as a added steak knife..done
package them both up and trade!

Pretty ignorant post mate. Your anger is misdirected.

Coulthard has actually played some decent footy in the VFL considering he has been one of the only AFL listed players in the team. He is a natural small forward playing in a team with no tall forwards. He doesn’t play midfield so his disposal numbers are down, but is creative and uses the ball well.
- Sonsie and Cumberland on the other hand get plenty of the ball but usually turn it over or make skill errors stuffing up the play. They have been gifted AFL games this season.
Remember this is Coulthard’s first real season.

The fact you brought up Stack and Parker shows your ignorance. They are irrelevant to the conversation.

Rioli was integral in building the culture that got us 3 flags. He is a legend of the club and should be looked at as a one club player.

There’s a lot that happens at football clubs that the average fan doesn’t understand.

If I was running a business and one of my best employees was looking at moving away, but I get 2 young employees with potential to replace him. Yeah that sounds awesome, but what If the guidance, experience that those young employees needed is now gone with that employee you let go??

Risky business.
what are we now ,babysitters ? geezuz blokes on her have lost the plot with this crap about maintaining the quota of native players....since when did this matter when it came to winning flags ? isnt it about attaining the best talent the club can aquire regardless? i woulda thought so

Out of the 3 guns we could lose, he is the one that hurts the most IMO, and I dont mean just on playing ability.
Yeah he would hurt specially the heart strings but the hurt will last 3-4 years but the 2 players we get will be here 15 years if we get the picks right and take away $800k salary cap

Dan has 4-5 years left and wont be part of our next run at a flag
no point keeping a HBF that has 2 x top 12 value

let him go

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - Requested A Trade To Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back