Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - Requested A Trade To Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

This isn't the NRL, no player comes out during the season and says they are leaving. Rioli would be fully aware of the intense media speculation. He or is management could easily have shut it down with a public statement saying he is fully committed to the club and that there is absolutely no truth in the rumours. More so since he is contracted until 2027. it would be the easiest thing in the world to do. We know that GC want him and he hasn't. We have to read into that what we will.
But the club has come out and said he’s a required player. As late as last night Yze said as much. So why are you happy to take a Sam McLures word for it and not the clubs?

But the club has come out and said he’s a required player. As late as last night Yze said as much. So why are you happy to take a Sam McLures word for it and not the clubs?
i told my wife she is a required player last night, i love you and i'm happy in my marriage
the quite truth is.. if Scarlett Johansson called for a trade
i'm packing my bags

I think there is likely to be some sort of very complex deal if Rioli goes to Suns.

Suns will want a very high draft pick to be certain of getting ahead of a bid on Lombard, late picks to pay for Lombard, and Rioli of course, so they get 3 class players into the club. They will, or should be, willing to leave just about nothing in the till to get that.

Their first 5 picks this year, 7, 12, 20, 27, 34 plus their 2025 round 1 pick, expected value around pick 12. Also Lukosius or the pick he nets them in a trade, say pick 17 from **** knows who. I reckon they will give all of that up to get a top 3 pick, Rioli, and the points to make Lombard happen without going into deficit. Especially if they can get some salary paid for Rioli.

The WA clubs will want Bolton and Baker, and Graham between them it seems. Eagles will get Graham for nothing given a decent contract offer. Let's say Eagles want to snap up Bolton and Baker as well. They have pick 3, a possible Barass rd 1 comp pick 4?, pick 23, 59, and their future rd 1 pick to play with, expected value around pick 6-8. I would think they would give all that up for Bolton, Baker and a pick around 12 in the 2024 draft to get a good WA kid, say Allen, and maybe another pick in the teens. If the Barass pick ends up end of rd 1 then they won't expect the second pick in the teens back and will just use that pick instead.

Richmond wants premium draft picks in volume and looks prepared to give up Bolton, Baker, Rioli, Graham, and their array of later picks in the 2024 draft to get them.

From Suns: picks 7 20 27? F1 to Richmond, 12, 17, 34 to Eagles

From Eagles: picks 3, 23? F1 to Richmond, 4, 59 to Suns

From Richmond: Bolton, Baker to Eagles, Rioli picks 41, 51, 57, 64, 73 to Suns

Richmond in: picks 3, 7, 20, 22, 23, 27, Suns F1, Eagles F1
Richmond out: Bolton, Baker, Rioli, Graham, picks 41, 51, 57, 64, 73

Eagles in: Bolton, Baker, Graham(FA), picks 12, 17, 34
Eagles out: Pick 3, 4, F1, 23, 59

Suns in: Rioli, pick 4, picks 41, 51, 57, 59, 64, 73
Suns out: Lukosius, picks 7, 12, 17, 20, 27, 34, F1

I possibly have that tilted a bit too far Richmond's way and both Eagles and Suns will retain a pick in the 20's, so Richmond don't get 23 or 27.

Richmond would go to the 2024 draft with picks 1, 3, 7, 20, 21, 22, 33, 39 and enter 2025 with a full book of our own picks plus Eagles and Suns rd 1 picks. You would imagine in this type of scenario we would look to trade picks 33 and 39 for a pick in the 20's or some future picks. Or it may be Richmond needs to give up 33, 39 in this deal to balance it in order to secure all the round 1 picks that should be on offer.

On Rioli then I doubt it is going to be a simple matter of Rioli for 1 or even 2 picks. It is more likely to be a part of a much bigger deal where 3 or even more clubs are getting involved to get what they want. Rioli's uncontracted value in an average draft would be around pick 9-10 I think. Saad didn't go for pick 8. He went to the Blues for a pick that ended up at 10, but pick 48 went with him to the Blues, which was worth enough to say the deal was worth about pick 12-13 overall. Rioli's contracted price has to be better than pick 10, probably pick 6-7. His contracted price with some salary paid...it is pick 6-7 + another decent pick, wck 12 very much in play barass

I think there is likely to be some sort of very complex deal if Rioli goes to Suns.

Suns will want a very high draft pick to be certain of getting ahead of a bid on Lombard, late picks to pay for Lombard, and Rioli of course, so they get 3 class players into the club. They will, or should be, willing to leave just about nothing in the till to get that.

Their first 5 picks this year, 7, 12, 20, 27, 34 plus their 2025 round 1 pick, expected value around pick 12. Also Lukosius or the pick he nets them in a trade, say pick 17 from **** knows who. I reckon they will give all of that up to get a top 3 pick, Rioli, and the points to make Lombard happen without going into deficit. Especially if they can get some salary paid for Rioli.

The WA clubs will want Bolton and Baker, and Graham between them it seems. Eagles will get Graham for nothing given a decent contract offer. Let's say Eagles want to snap up Bolton and Baker as well. They have pick 3, a possible Barass rd 1 comp pick 4?, pick 23, 59, and their future rd 1 pick to play with, expected value around pick 6-8. I would think they would give all that up for Bolton, Baker and a pick around 12 in the 2024 draft to get a good WA kid, say Allen, and maybe another pick in the teens. If the Barass pick ends up end of rd 1 then they won't expect the second pick in the teens back and will just use that pick instead.

Richmond wants premium draft picks in volume and looks prepared to give up Bolton, Baker, Rioli, Graham, and their array of later picks in the 2024 draft to get them.

I possibly have that tilted a bit too far Richmond's way and both Eagles and Suns will retain a pick in the 20's, so Richmond don't get 23 or 27.

Richmond would go to the 2024 draft with picks 1, 3, 7, 20, 21, 22, 33, 39 and enter 2025 with a full book of our own picks plus Eagles and Suns rd 1 picks. You would imagine in this type of scenario we would look to trade picks 33 and 39 for a pick in the 20's or some future picks. Or it may be Richmond needs to give up 33, 39 in this deal to balance it in order to secure all the round 1 picks that should be on offer.

On Rioli then I doubt it is going to be a simple matter of Rioli for 1 or even 2 picks. It is more likely to be a part of a much bigger deal where 3 or even more clubs are getting involved to get what they want. Rioli's uncontracted value in an average draft would be around pick 9-10 I think. Saad didn't go for pick 8. He went to the Blues for a pick that ended up at 10, but pick 48 went with him to the Blues, which was worth enough to say the deal was worth about pick 12-13 overall. Rioli's contracted price has to be better than pick 10, probably pick 6-7. His contracted price with some salary paid...it is pick 6-7 + another decent pick, with pick 12 very much in play imo.
Barass is under contract Eagles won't get pick 4 compo.they will have to trade to hawks or dogs if he actually leaves

Not sure about that. It would have to be a massive overs of offer or Rioli kicking and screaming to leave.
We will change his mind if he just feels like going. Can’t just agree to give up culture, and a Rioli.
It's OK we have another one

i told my wife she is a required player last night, i love you and i'm happy in my marriage
i'm packing my bags
Has to be
i'm packing my bags
Has to be Isabella Sofia Rossi
Or liza kavalenkoo

Barass is under contract Eagles won't get pick 4 compo.they will have to trade to hawks or dogs if he actually leaves

Sorry, yes, you are spot on. They would get Hawks rd 1 pick for him. At the moment, looking like about pick 11. That actually changes a fair bit with my huge 3 way trade suggestion. It would mean Suns would get pick 3 rather than us get it, but we would get several more later picks from the Eagles, and potentially the Suns.

What would you expect Yze to say though? The club will say he's a required player right up until he's not aka when they offer us a deal too good to refuse.

It's more than just Sam McLure. Every journo is going with it.

On Rioli then I doubt it is going to be a simple matter of Rioli for 1 or even 2 picks. It is more likely to be a part of a much bigger deal where 3 or even more clubs are getting involved to get what they want. Rioli's uncontracted value in an average draft would be around pick 9-10 I think. Saad didn't go for pick 8. He went to the Blues for a pick that ended up at 10, but pick 48 went with him to the Blues, which was worth enough to say the deal was worth about pick 12-13 overall. Rioli's contracted price has to be better than pick 10, probably pick 6-7. His contracted price with some salary paid...it is pick 6-7 + another decent pick, with pick 12 very much in play imo.
Remember to throw those back end picks in the 20s and 30s to Brisbane and Carlton. I want to break the competitions mind when we get 5 picks in the first round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love how people say to get rid of him, he won't be there for our next Premiership... why not? Imagine the Pies saying that about a 30 yr old Pendles.... next minute, they win the flag... it can happen...

What would you expect Yze to say though? The club will say he's a required player right up until he's not aka when they offer us a deal too good to refuse.

It's more than just Sam McLure. Every journo is going with it.
Are these the same jurnos that never got a thing right about Dusty?

Do you think he will stay?

Plenty asked the question but I don't recall any journos other than McLure saying he'll go to the suns.
I have already posted in here, the Suns are expecting him, its far more than rumor.

Love how people say to get rid of him, he won't be there for our next Premiership... why not? Imagine the Pies saying that about a 30 yr old Pendles.... next minute, they win the flag... it can happen...

People very quickly forgot the mindset change that Jack, Cotch and Co had at the end of 2016. They thought they were too old to get a flag but might be able to set the club up for future success for the likes of D.Rioli..

Yes, I'm aware we don't have the core spine with 5 A-graders (Rance, Cotch, Dusty, Shedda & Reiwoldt), but who's to say we can't shoot back up next year?

As if the club and coach are going to say anything else other than he is a required player before the trade period??? (regardless of whether they want to trade him or not). And as if 'a required player' has never been traded before. What Rioli wants and what the club wants could be totally at odds.

What Rioli and his management say or do not say (as the speculation grows) is of far more interest.

you see, I'm so far behind the times I don't even know who these names are.
I was tossing up between Scarlett and pamela anderson..
yep, still stuck I the 90's
They were elite in their day no argument their
Will guarantee you will love Isabel and liza

Imagine Kane Cornes if we got 5 picks in the first round.
KC: Kingy, how can this happen? They were premiers 4 seasons ago and they made the finals 2 years ago. How can this happen, how is this fair?
DK: Well they did lose a bit to get these picks.
KC: I don't see how thats relevant, the Draft system is set up to disproportionally disadvantage [Checks notes on Port's finishing position] the teams in this range.
DK: Well they gave up 3 top 75 players. Bolton on his day is top 10.
KC: But is that worth a side having 6 first round picks? I dont think it is. Call in the hotline and let us know how unfair this is....I just hope the AFL fixes this before the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - Requested A Trade To Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back