Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - Requested A Trade To Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Name me one 28-year-old half back that's gone for 2 x 1st rounders in a trade? Pick 7 is not mid-late either.
Uncontracted spud Saad went for pick #8 dan is worth 50% more and is contracted
#8 & #12 is the price Dimma if you want your toy boy

Richmonds worst supporters:

- support everyone on the board blindly

- support louie meehan

- support 100milion dollar blowout on facility build

- support the use of fluro instead of yellow on our sash

- support green , red and blue sponsors on our jumper

- want to give away players for nothing

do I go on
Support Groupie through all his diet's and sexual issue's

Two mid to late first rounders isn’t over compensated
That’s market value

Let’s say Rioli was uncontracted and requested a trade. What do you honestly believe his market value in a ‘fair’ trade is?

• Rankine 22yo went for pick-5.
  • Dawson 25yo a 1st rounder tied to Premiers Melbourne.
  • Saad 26yo for pick-8.
  • TT 24yo for 12 and 19.
  • Dunkley 25yo #21 and Lions F1.
  • Cerra 22yo #6.
  • Stringer 22yo #25 and #30.

Of course he’s contracted and we don’t need to be ‘fair’, but what’s your honest assessment of what his ‘uncontracted’ market value is?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Let’s say Rioli was uncontracted and requested a trade. What do you honestly believe his market value in a ‘fair’ trade is?

• Rankine 22yo went for pick-5.
  • Dawson 25yo a 1st rounder tied to Premiers Melbourne.
  • Saad 26yo for pick-8.
  • TT 24yo for 12 and 19.
  • Dunkley 25yo #21 and Lions F1.
  • Cerra 22yo #6.
  • Stringer 22yo #25 and #30.

Of course he’s contracted and we don’t need to be ‘fair’, but what’s your honest assessment of what his ‘uncontracted’ market value is?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think there is likely to be some sort of very complex deal if Rioli goes to Suns.

Suns will want a very high draft pick to be certain of getting ahead of a bid on Lombard, late picks to pay for Lombard, and Rioli of course, so they get 3 class players into the club. They will, or should be, willing to leave just about nothing in the till to get that.

Their first 5 picks this year, 7, 12, 20, 27, 34 plus their 2025 round 1 pick, expected value around pick 12. Also Lukosius or the pick he nets them in a trade, say pick 17 from **** knows who. I reckon they will give all of that up to get a top 3 pick, Rioli, and the points to make Lombard happen without going into deficit. Especially if they can get some salary paid for Rioli.

The WA clubs will want Bolton and Baker, and Graham between them it seems. Eagles will get Graham for nothing given a decent contract offer. Let's say Eagles want to snap up Bolton and Baker as well. They have pick 3, a possible Barass rd 1 comp pick 4?, pick 23, 59, and their future rd 1 pick to play with, expected value around pick 6-8. I would think they would give all that up for Bolton, Baker and a pick around 12 in the 2024 draft to get a good WA kid, say Allen, and maybe another pick in the teens. If the Barass pick ends up end of rd 1 then they won't expect the second pick in the teens back and will just use that pick instead.

Richmond wants premium draft picks in volume and looks prepared to give up Bolton, Baker, Rioli, Graham, and their array of later picks in the 2024 draft to get them.

From Suns: picks 7 20 27? F1 to Richmond, 12, 17, 34 to Eagles

From Eagles: picks 3, 23? F1 to Richmond, 4, 59 to Suns

From Richmond: Bolton, Baker to Eagles, Rioli picks 41, 51, 57, 64, 73 to Suns

Richmond in: picks 3, 7, 20, 22, 23, 27, Suns F1, Eagles F1
Richmond out: Bolton, Baker, Rioli, Graham, picks 41, 51, 57, 64, 73

Eagles in: Bolton, Baker, Graham(FA), picks 12, 17, 34
Eagles out: Pick 3, 4, F1, 23, 59

Suns in: Rioli, pick 4, picks 41, 51, 57, 59, 64, 73
Suns out: Lukosius, picks 7, 12, 17, 20, 27, 34, F1

I possibly have that tilted a bit too far Richmond's way and both Eagles and Suns will retain a pick in the 20's, so Richmond don't get 23 or 27.

Richmond would go to the 2024 draft with picks 1, 3, 7, 20, 21, 22, 33, 39 and enter 2025 with a full book of our own picks plus Eagles and Suns rd 1 picks. You would imagine in this type of scenario we would look to trade picks 33 and 39 for a pick in the 20's or some future picks. Or it may be Richmond needs to give up 33, 39 in this deal to balance it in order to secure all the round 1 picks that should be on offer.

On Rioli then I doubt it is going to be a simple matter of Rioli for 1 or even 2 picks. It is more likely to be a part of a much bigger deal where 3 or even more clubs are getting involved to get what they want. Rioli's uncontracted value in an average draft would be around pick 9-10 I think. Saad didn't go for pick 8. He went to the Blues for a pick that ended up at 10, but pick 48 went with him to the Blues, which was worth enough to say the deal was worth about pick 12-13 overall. Rioli's contracted price has to be better than pick 10, probably pick 6-7. His contracted price with some salary paid...it is pick 6-7 + another decent pick, with pick 12 very much in play imo.

Last edited:
Wanting to trade Rioli is a bad business/culture move by the tiges.

He was the young player that Cotch/ Riewoldt wanted to sacrifice their careers for so he could enjoy the success in the future.

He was also a big role player in the bond the team created over the 2017 preseason.

He is a centrepiece in the culture that is the Richmond Football club.
We lose him the club will slowly dissolve back into the basket case pre 2017.

He is a leader in the Indigenous space within the club, does a lot behind close doors that us supporters just don’t see.

Also, being 28 the start of next year isn’t really a problem. He could easily play til his 33-34 and win another flag at the back end.

Trading him is a massive gamble that isn’t necessary. We have the draft capital to get another high end pick.

It's a tough decision but as you've outlined it'll come down to if the deal is worth it. GCS have tapped him up and we all think they see him as the player they're missing to take the next step. You also need to remember that picks have less value to GCS than other clubs as they've had so many top 10 picks, have academy each year and now hitting salary cap issues.

If we can get 2x top ~12 picks for him say 7 this year and either 12 this year or future first we need to do it. Its achievable given we can pay a significant chunk of his salary.

He's also 28 and not many of our players have got into mid 30s given the stress of playing such a high tempo, brutal game plan. His ankle might not hold up past 31/32 so can see 2-3 more season from him and then a fair drop off.

I remember many wanted him delisted lol. We will miss him, then again we have an opportunity to go crazy in the draft and believe it’s best for the club.

Funny to look back to 2017 and if you said;
Rioli 2 first rounders
Bolton 2 first rounders
Baker top 15 pick
Graham an early 20s pick

Every supporter would have bit your hand off for all of them 😂
Yeah reckon we still would have won the 3 flags without Rioli, can't say the same about Dusty lol. Outlandish statement.

2017 prelim against GWS he kicked 4 goals and went a long way to getting us over the line. But yeh nobody in recent memory compares to Dusty from a finals perspective - GOAT

I think there is likely to be some sort of very complex deal if Rioli goes to Suns.

Suns will want a very high draft pick to be certain of getting ahead of a bid on Lombard, late picks to pay for Lombard, and Rioli of course, so they get 3 class players into the club. They will, or should be, willing to leave just about nothing in the till to get that.

Their first 5 picks this year, 7, 12, 20, 27, 34 plus their 2025 round 1 pick, expected value around pick 12. Also Lukosius or the pick he nets them in a trade, say pick 17 from **** knows who. I reckon they will give all of that up to get a top 3 pick, Rioli, and the points to make Lombard happen without going into deficit. Especially if they can get some salary paid for Rioli.

The WA clubs will want Bolton and Baker, and Graham between them it seems. Eagles will get Graham for nothing given a decent contract offer. Let's say Eagles want to snap up Bolton and Baker as well. They have pick 3, a possible Barass rd 1 comp pick 4?, pick 23, 59, and their future rd 1 pick to play with, expected value around pick 6-8. I would think they would give all that up for Bolton, Baker and a pick around 12 in the 2024 draft to get a good WA kid, say Allen, and maybe another pick in the teens. If the Barass pick ends up end of rd 1 then they won't expect the second pick in the teens back and will just use that pick instead.

Richmond wants premium draft picks in volume and looks prepared to give up Bolton, Baker, Rioli, Graham, and their array of later picks in the 2024 draft to get them.

From Suns: picks 7 20 27? F1 to Richmond, 12, 17, 34 to Eagles

From Eagles: picks 3, 23? F1 to Richmond, 4, 59 to Suns

From Richmond: Bolton, Baker to Eagles, Rioli picks 41, 51, 57, 64, 73 to Suns

Richmond in: picks 3, 7, 20, 22, 23, 27, Suns F1, Eagles F1
Richmond out: Bolton, Baker, Rioli, Graham, picks 41, 51, 57, 64, 73

Eagles in: Bolton, Baker, Graham(FA), picks 12, 17, 34
Eagles out: Pick 3, 4, F1, 23, 59

Suns in: Rioli, pick 4, picks 41, 51, 57, 59, 64, 73
Suns out: Lukosius, picks 7, 12, 17, 20, 27, 34, F1

I possibly have that tilted a bit too far Richmond's way and both Eagles and Suns will retain a pick in the 20's, so Richmond don't get 23 or 27.

Richmond would go to the 2024 draft with picks 1, 3, 7, 20, 21, 22, 33, 39 and enter 2025 with a full book of our own picks plus Eagles and Suns rd 1 picks. You would imagine in this type of scenario we would look to trade picks 33 and 39 for a pick in the 20's or some future picks. Or it may be Richmond needs to give up 33, 39 in this deal to balance it in order to secure all the round 1 picks that should be on offer.

On Rioli then I doubt it is going to be a simple matter of Rioli for 1 or even 2 picks. It is more likely to be a part of a much bigger deal where 3 or even more clubs are getting involved to get what they want. Rioli's uncontracted value in an average draft would be around pick 9-10 I think. Saad didn't go for pick 8. He went to the Blues for a pick that ended up at 10, but pick 48 went with him to the Blues, which was worth enough to say the deal was worth about pick 12-13 overall. Rioli's contracted price has to be better than pick 10, probably pick 6-7. His contracted price with some salary paid...it is pick 6-7 + another decent pick, with pick 12 very much in play imo.

If we ended up with 1,3,7,20,21,22,33,39 in that scenario than I'm happily giving 22 and 33 for Brisbane's pick 15 and that nets them an extra 300 points (equivalent of pick 49).

Take 7 picks of 1,3,7,15,20,21,39 to the draft

Performance like this have very much underlined our position that the price is their first two pics ,,,let’s face it most clubs would do the same especially them, he’ll win our bf by a mile
Who was the last B&F winner to leave us and how did it turn out?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You got me , not sure it’s happened in recent memory , it’s rare you’d let someone that good go but we’ve just endured our worst season since 1908 so drastic action required
Geoff Raines ooops Lids and we won a flag or two

If he wants to go, we will work out a trade.
Simple really.
The days of holding players when they want out is gone.
But Rioli hasn't said he wants out. This is a media driven trade discussion. You reckon Dan looked checked out on Sunday?

But Rioli hasn't said he wants out. This is a media driven trade discussion. You reckon Dan looked checked out on Sunday?
This isn't the NRL, no player comes out during the season and says they are leaving. Rioli would be fully aware of the intense media speculation. He or is management could easily have shut it down with a public statement saying he is fully committed to the club and that there is absolutely no truth in the rumours. More so since he is contracted until 2027. it would be the easiest thing in the world to do. We know that GC want him and he hasn't. We have to read into that what we will.

Two mid to late first rounders isn’t over compensated
That’s market value
Also bear in mind this is GC. Not only have they got academy kids coming out of their ass, but they are same club that gave away a pick 7 and a player as part of a salary dump for a third rounder. They simply don't value draft picks in the same way that we have to. Plus Rioli would probably be the biggest recruiting coup in their history and Hardwick loves him. They'd hand over two firsts in a heartbeat.

Simple really.
Agree if he wants to go wouldn’t stop it, as long as the trade is a massive win for us.

Simple really.

Not sure about that. It would have to be a massive overs of offer or Rioli kicking and screaming to leave.
We will change his mind if he just feels like going. Can’t just agree to give up culture, and a Rioli.

Why? He’s contracted to us and they want him, they can pay all his wage, we aren’t a ****ing charity
Because with retirements and trades we will have freed up millions of dollars in cap space and will probably struggle just to meet the minimum cap spend with the profile of our list. GC have plenty of picks but not plenty of cap space. We'd be silly not to tip in some cash to ensure premium picks in return.

Na he was trying extra hard cos he knows he’s only got couple more games to thank Richmond

Because with retirements and trades we will have freed up millions of dollars in cap space and will probably struggle just to meet the minimum cap spend with the profile of our list. GC have plenty of picks but not plenty of cap space. We'd be silly not to tip in some cash to ensure premium picks in return.

We trade players and their salary for higher picks, or more good picks. This year more good picks sounds good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - Requested A Trade To Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back