Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - Requested A Trade To Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

i told my wife she is a required player last night, i love you and i'm happy in my marriage
the quite truth is.. if Scarlett Johansson called for a trade
i'm packing my bags
Let me know if my imagination is a good as real life there on what that would be like.
What would you expect Yze to say though? The club will say he's a required player right up until he's not aka when they offer us a deal too good to refuse.

It's more than just Sam McLure. Every journo is going with it.
Even more reason to doubt it if every journo is going with it. O'Rourke stated weeks ago he's a contracted required player. Yze last night said the same. Richmond keeps their stuff in-house. I can't think of too many leaks of recent years which has actually worked out to be true down the line. It doesn't matter "what GC wants", and how do we know Dan is unhappy at Richmond? Happy to see articles suggesting otherwise.
rDo you think he will stay?
I'll call you cobber.
As if the club and coach are going to say anything else other than he is a required player before the trade period??? (regardless of whether they want to trade him or not). And as if 'a required player' has never been traded before. What Rioli wants and what the club wants could be totally at odds.

What Rioli and his management say or do not say (as the speculation grows) is of far more interest.
Again, just show me an article where it says Dan is unhappy and wants out. Because I can at least validate my stance based on the club POV.

Even more reason to doubt it if every journo is going with it. O'Rourke stated weeks ago he's a contracted required player. Yze last night said the same. Richmond keeps their stuff in-house. I can't think of too many leaks of recent years which has actually worked out to be true down the line. It doesn't matter "what GC wants", and how do we know Dan is unhappy at Richmond? Happy to see articles suggesting otherwise.
I don't think Rioli is currently or would be unhappy staying @ Richmond? That doesn't mean he wouldn't prefer to move to the Gold Coast though. Tom Morris has a source at Richmond, he leaked Dimma quitting a day before the club announced it.

Of course O'Rourke said that, saying anything else only dilutes our bargaining power should we choose to pull the trigger come trade week. How many times have we heard a coach has the full support of the board only to be sacked soon after?

Anyway, we shall see.....

I don't think Rioli is currently or would be unhappy staying @ Richmond? That doesn't mean he wouldn't prefer to move to the Gold Coast though. Tom Morris has a source at Richmond, he leaked Dimma quitting a day before the club announced it.

Of course O'Rourke said that, saying anything else only dilutes our bargaining power should we choose to pull the trigger come trade week. How many times have we heard a coach has the full support of the board only to be sacked soon after?

We shall, but a journos word is worth nothing these days. And how did Tommy boy miss Dusty retiring if he has a source within the club?

Dusty probably didn't tell anyone until 5 mins before :cool:
Mate, come on. All these guys with the inside word on everything Richmond, yet they missed the biggest retirement in decades. it was the one thing they should have been able to nail. But, it goes to my point, Tiges kept things pretty good in-house. All I ask is show me anything from the Rioli camp which suggests he wants out? Where is the actual leak that says "I want out".
Maybe, just maybe, there's no noise from Dans front or his manager as he is contracted and has been told as such? And the club has made that point? Very simple, unsexy point I know, but, it's also very logical.

Again, just show me an article where it says Dan is unhappy and wants out. Because I can at least validate my stance based on the club POV.
Who says he needs to be 'unhappy' to want a trade? You can be happy and still want to pursue other opportunities, other goals, in different places etc. So no, no 'drama' needs to be demonstrated for the rumour to have legs. Just as an example if Baker leaves Richmond and goes back to Perth, I don't think anyone is suggesting it's because he was 'unhappy' at Richmond.

Again a club just saying someone 'is a required player' has proven meaningless innumerable times come trade week. To you it's 'validation' but to most of us it's what we expect a club to say regardless of whether they are prepared to trade a player or not. Frankly it would be surprising if they didn't say that.

Anyhow the stories of him wanting to go to GC are there and being reported by multiple journalists and sources, and maybe they are true, maybe they are not. When Daniel and/or his management either confirms or quashes them, then we'll know for certain.

Who says he needs to be 'unhappy' to want a trade? You can be happy and still want to pursue other opportunities, other goals, in different places etc. So no, no 'drama' needs to be demonstrated for the rumour to have legs. Just as an example if Baker leaves Richmond and goes back to Perth, I don't think anyone is suggesting it's because he was 'unhappy' at Richmond.

Again a club just saying someone 'is a required player' has proven meaningless innumerable times come trade week. To you it's 'validation' but to most of us it's what we expect a club to say regardless of whether they are prepared to trade a player or not. Frankly it would be surprising if they didn't say that.

Anyhow the stories of him wanting to go to GC are there and being reported by multiple journalists and sources, and maybe they are true, maybe they are not. When Daniel and/or his management either confirms or quashes them, then we'll know for certain.
Ok, I'll repeat myself, just show me any noise that validates the discussion. Show me anything? He is a contracted required player. We don't have to do anything. He was happy to sign the deal and be a tiger for life. What if there's no noise because there literally isn't a discussion to be had?

You talk of validation, I'm just saying there are points out there that support my point of view. I am yet to see anything that supports he is going or Richmond is happy to offer him up.

"sources". Yep, like Dusty to GC, Lynch to Collingwood, Bolton to WA (before he signed a 5 year deal) etc, etc. GC are openly courting Rioli through the media, but, well, Morro knows the rest........ Good day sir.

Mate, come on. All these guys with the inside word on everything Richmond, yet they missed the biggest retirement in decades. it was the one thing they should have been able to nail. But, it goes to my point, Tiges kept things pretty good in-house. All I ask is show me anything from the Rioli camp which suggests he wants out? Where is the actual leak that says "I want out".
Maybe, just maybe, there's no noise from Dans front or his manager as he is contracted and has been told as such? And the club has made that point? Very simple, unsexy point I know, but, it's also very logical.
I prefer sexy....

Ok, I'll repeat myself, just show me any noise that validates the discussion. Show me anything? He is a contracted required player. We don't have to do anything. He was happy to sign the deal and be a tiger for life. What if there's no noise because there literally isn't a discussion to be had?

You talk of validation, I'm just saying there are points out there that support my point of view. I am yet to see anything that supports he is going or Richmond is happy to offer him up.

"sources". Yep, like Dusty to GC, Lynch to Collingwood, Bolton to WA (before he signed a 5 year deal) etc, etc. GC are openly courting Rioli through the media, but, well, Morro knows the rest........ Good day sir.
So as I understand it, no club has ever traded anyone after having declared him a 'required player'. Likewise no player that has ever signed a contract has ever changed his mind and then decided later he wanted to go to another club. Moreover, no story reported by the media about any player wanting to go to any other other club has ever proven correct.

None of this has happened before, so it can't possibly happen now. It's all malarkey. It's like Grandpa Simpson shaking his fist and yelling at the clouds. Aint gonna happen. Rioli stays at Richmond. End of story.

And a Good day to you too sir :D

So as I understand it, no club has ever traded anyone after having declared him a 'required player'. Likewise no player that has ever signed a contract has ever changed his mind and then decided later he wanted to go to another club. Moreover, no story reported by the media about any player wanting to go to any other other club has ever proven correct.

None of this has happened before, so it can't possibly happen now. It's all malarkey. It's like Grandpa Simpson shaking his fist and yelling at the clouds. Aint gonna happen. Rioli stays at Richmond. End of story.

And a Good day to you too sir :D
You seem to be taking this personal, or are really keen to see Dan gone. All I am saying is GC are openly courting Dan through the media, there is no offer. There is no noise from Dans camp. Richmond are saying he's required and contracted. That's actually where it sits as of right now. Tell me I'm wrong. and any more cheek and there will be a glove slap and dual at dawn over this issue.

You seem to be taking this personal, or are really keen to see Dan gone. All I am saying is GC are openly courting Dan through the media, there is no offer. There is no noise from Dans camp. Richmond are saying he's required and contracted. That's actually where it sits as of right now. Tell me I'm wrong. and any more cheek and there will be a glove slap and dual at dawn over this issue.
No I'm not taking it personally, I just can't take anyone seriously that thinks that when a club states someone is a 'required player' that is either validation or somehow settles the matter. Or that player has to be 'unhappy' to leave a club. Or that a player can't change his mind even after having signed a contract. And for the record there is noise in the media, we can't be sure where it's from, it might well come from the Rioli camp, you just don't want to listen to it.

The truth is I don't know if Rioli wants to stay or leave, but I will know when word finally comes out of his camp. You however on the other hand seem to feel as if you know already. Again good day sir!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But Rioli hasn't said he wants out. This is a media driven trade discussion. You reckon Dan looked checked out on Sunday?
looked like our next captain. Tbh.

Just went to a seperate source away from the show. I was correct in the convo. I will explain later.
Explain now! What convo? I'd try to find it on the show but am still scarred from when Tiger71 said Atrosious would be a good fit for us and I was overcome by simultaneous uncontrollable laughter and explosive vomiting and nearly choked to death.

I'd say the Rioli situation is that the Suns are into him bigly. He is not uninterested. Reunite with Dogwick, an end to Victorian winters, three games a year in Darwin in front of family and friends. He's not unhappy at Richmond, far from it. But he could be sold on that particular move.

He is now arguably our best player. The club is not going to give him away. But Blair has seen Daniel's birth certificate and knows he turns 28 early next season.

Everyone has a price.

No I'm not taking it personally, I just can't take anyone seriously that thinks that when a club states someone is a 'required player' that is either validation or somehow settles the matter. Or that player has to be 'unhappy' to leave a club. Or that a player can't change his mind even after having signed a contract. And for the record there is noise in the media, we can't be sure where it's from, it might well come from the Rioli camp, you just don't want to listen to it.

The truth is I don't know if Rioli wants to stay or leave, but I will know when word finally comes out of his camp. You however on the other hand seem to feel as if you know already. Again good day sir!
I don't think you're fully comprehending my point to be honest. I am not saying I have the definitive answer. I will repeat again, GC are openly courting Dan through the media. There is no offer currently. There is no noise from Dans camp. The club has stated he's a required player. He is currently contracted. What point is incorrect?

So we don’t deserve your thoughts hey soothsayer ?

I think the next three weeks is gonna be a roller coaster. Not gonna say anymore.

1/2 in 1/2 out sounds like.

I would guess that we are basically telling GC that they need to overpay to get Dan. If they won't we'll happily keep him.

Just my guess.

With Rioli & Bolton we dont need any bargaining power

its a take it or leave it position GC #7 & #12 for Rioli or he stays
Freo 8 & #13 + #17 with #39 going back

Simple

As if the club and coach are going to say anything else other than he is a required player before the trade period??? (regardless of whether they want to trade him or not). And as if 'a required player' has never been traded before. What Rioli wants and what the club wants could be totally at odds.

What Rioli and his management say or do not say (as the speculation grows) is of far more interest.
His girlfriend will also have a big say in it, they are smitten with each other. she is quite famous herself.
Dan is ;) Cun starstruck ;) with her with a Capital C

Last edited:
His girlfriend will also have a big say in it, they are smitten with each other. she is quite famous herself.
Dan is ;)Starstruck ;) with her with a Capital C
Is that a really big C or just a big C

With Rioli & Bolton we dont need any bargaining power

its a take it or leave it position GC #7 & #12 for Rioli or he stays
Freo 8 & #13 + #17 with #39 going back

Simple

Pretty sure GCS will swap 7 with pick 3 at Adelaide for lukoscious to get there with Adelaide giving a third rounder or something to back to balance it.

Probably means 12 and future first for Rioli is what they're thinking or why it was 12 & 22 that was rumoured.

GCS then get a quality player in, match Lombard with later picks (maybe we give some) and bring in Rioli- that's a great outcome for them in 1 season!

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - Requested A Trade To Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back