1st round draft pick 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well he said in the paper on Saturday he was 194cm...not that it matters.

I think if Darling has grown 2-3 cm he will go top 4, surely you cannot pass up home grown talent.

I would think though that you guys have a pressing need to add depth to your midfield?

Our young mids are better than most people think but we really do lack an outside mid. atley is just about the perfect candidate. also tackles and has a bit of an inside game. i reckon we will draft either darling or atley. i reckon it will be decided by draft camp if darling's grown a bit.

I think if Darling has grown 2-3 cm he will go top 4, surely you cannot pass up home grown talent.

I would think though that you guys have a pressing need to add depth to your midfield?

I don't want either Darling nor Gaff.

Atley ( VM - MVP), Smith ( SA - MVP), Bennell (WA - MVP) :thumbsu:

Bennell. i wish. lets hope he slides. im starting to get hope he might if darling grows a few cm GC might pick him with day who's a little bit of a risk and take 2 KPF's who take so long to develop. if darling reaches 192cm he is genuine top 4 chance. And with darling doing pretty good in the WAFL and bennell not doin aswell (admittedly in a terrible team) they might go with darling.
Well atleast thats plausible enough to hope for.

Bennell. i wish. lets hope he slides. im starting to get hope he might if darling grows a few cm GC might pick him with day who's a little bit of a risk and take 2 KPF's who take so long to develop. if darling reaches 192cm he is genuine top 4 chance. And with darling doing pretty good in the WAFL and bennell not doin aswell (admittedly in a terrible team) they might go with darling.
Well atleast thats plausible enough to hope for.

He doesn't look taller imo.

In the end we want consistency or freakish ability. They don't often come packaged together. One of those three will be available and we should take them, all have upside and all have runs on the board.

Smiths 188cm and just 79 Kilos (Sheppard was 186cm and 78 Kilos!) and he still has players falling of his hips.

I don't want either Darling nor Gaff.

Atley ( VM - MVP), Smith ( SA - MVP), Bennell (WA - MVP) :thumbsu:

Atley played for VC and Heppell was voted MVP of VC.

He doesn't look taller imo.

In the end we want consistency or freakish ability. They don't often come packaged together. One of those three will be available and we should take them, all have upside and all have runs on the board.

Smiths 188cm and just 79 Kilos (Sheppard was 186cm and 78 Kilos!) and he still has players falling of his hips.

Well if he doesn't grow i think we have a 0% chance at bennell.

We wont take smith at 4. he's not rated that high. he will probably be taken after pick 8. Does have something judd like about him.

Division One MVP awards:
South Australia - Brodie Smith
What AFL/AIS high performance coach Jason McCartney said: "He was exceptional with his work rate and clearances in every game he played. He missed one game against NT because he was a bit sore, but he just continually won the contested footy, the clearances and got it forward. He runs pretty hard when he plays back as well so he's had an outstanding series."

Vic Country - Dyson Heppell
What Jason McCartney said: "He predominantly played across half-back. He's all class with that long left foot, he uses the ball well on the way out and I didn't see him get beat on many occasions. He really set up a lot of play."

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=97237

In this draft there is really only one ready made mid and that is Swallow, outside of him Smith,Gaff, Atley, Polec even Bennell in the last few years draft would not have been top 5 picks. On the other hand I think Darling and Gorringe probably would have...

I find it hard to think WC will commit a second first round pick on another ruckman in Gorringe, after taking Naitanui at 2 in 2008 so that leaves Darling as the obvious pick at 4.

Darling was reports as a possible No 1 pick in 09 and in '10 has all but cemented a spot in a Wafl team playing finals, what more can he do. We are crying out for more forward options and I think Darling fits, people that think he doseent have any up side are kidding themselves, Jack has the ability to develop into a Pavlich.

How would WC look with Pavlich(Jack Darling) playing in the side.....?

If we want another ruckman and Sullivan is not up to AFL , then Andrew Ruck from Claremont has been BOG two weeks in a row for Claremont and goes forward to kick goals ... so A Ruck should be definately a priority , particuarly if his form at Claremont continues in the finals . Pick him at PSD or Rookie or even ND if we have too ... very good mover and roaring up the draft list IMO !

Edit - Ruck is 25 yrs of age but , so maybe a rookie or PSD pick

Andreoli as a second pick perhaps?
I don't really want whoever we draft playing in the centre square TBH.
Shuey, Swift, Masten, Stevens, Ebert and even Weedon are all ballwinners, would much prefer a wingman.
FF>Outside mid>Crumber>Ruckman>Inside mid/small def/key defender in terms of priority imo.

How is Gorringe's contested marking EH? A bit wary of taking another project FF given the disappointing progress of Notte, but having a backup ruck option as well as a FF is awful tempting.

From what I've read, it doesn't sound like Gorringe is going to be a long term project. He's already doing well at SANFL seniors. From the sounds of it, he'll be ready to play a back-up role sometime in his 2nd year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think your interest in WCE taking a tall is so one more midfield option can slide Richmond's way.

From what I've read, it doesn't sound like Gorringe is going to be a long term project. He's already doing well at SANFL seniors. From the sounds of it, he'll be ready to play a back-up role sometime in his 2nd year.
The articles i've seen have listed him between 80 and 85kg, which is pretty light for someone at 199cm.
Would be bloody handy having a backup ruck without having a lumbering excess tall.

Im sure im flogging a dead horse because i've already said it a lot. But i really want gorringe with our first pick. He's kosi with the ability to read the play and with a brain attached.

IF the rumour over Sam Day talking to the Eagles on the weekend and that Day not keen on GC , but would come to Perth was true ! ..... West Coast would need to choose between --mad Eagles Fan Darling or Sam " I'm not sure which sport to play " Day , Tough decision .... maybe Day on immense potential !

The articles i've seen have listed him between 80 and 85kg, which is pretty light for someone at 199cm.
Would be bloody handy having a backup ruck without having a lumbering excess tall.

I think the chance of Gorringe getting games in his 2nd year will be highly likely. He'll have 2 preseasons before he gets a game. That'll be sufficient enough time to get to around 93-94kg.

I agree that he'll be a handy tall. For the reason that he's not a lumbering type, and that he's seemingly better than most rucks when played up forward; this makes him a strong candidate to be taken at pick 4.

I think the chance of Gorringe getting games in his 2nd year will be highly likely. He'll have 2 preseasons before he gets a game. That'll be sufficient enough time to get to around 93-94kg.

I agree that he'll be a handy tall. For the reason that he's not a lumbering type, and that he's seemingly better than most rucks when played up forward; this makes him a strong candidate to be taken at pick 4.
Mmm, the question is whether he is good enough as a forward to justify selecting him that high. We need a forward-cum-ruckman, not a ruckman-cum-forward.
I don't think it's as simple as just assuming that he'll put on weight and that will be that. Look at Notte for instance.

In this draft there is really only one ready made mid and that is Swallow, outside of him Smith,Gaff, Atley, Polec even Bennell in the last few years draft would not have been top 5 picks. On the other hand I think Darling and Gorringe probably would have...

I find it hard to think WC will commit a second first round pick on another ruckman in Gorringe, after taking Naitanui at 2 in 2008 so that leaves Darling as the obvious pick at 4.

Darling was reports as a possible No 1 pick in 09 and in '10 has all but cemented a spot in a Wafl team playing finals, what more can he do. We are crying out for more forward options and I think Darling fits, people that think he doseent have any up side are kidding themselves, Jack has the ability to develop into a Pavlich.

How would WC look with Pavlich(Jack Darling) playing in the side.....?

Pavlich is athletic like a Goodes or a Morabito. Darling is top heavy, inspite of him being the same height as Morabito he isn't anything like him as far as athletic ability goes, more like an undersized version of Jonathon Brown.

Darling was beaten by Sebastian Tape who stands at just 189cm. Tape beat him in the air and rebounded of him all day long.

Darling is pushing up the ground allot in the WAFL. We want a stay at home full forward who owns the arch and kicks bags of goals. He hasn't looked like doing that.

Apart from Day and Gorringe, we could consider Matthew Watson 195cm and Patrick McCarthy (194cm). Both key defenders and both plays i would expect to dominate Darling for the next ten years.

Mmm, the question is whether he is good enough as a forward to justify selecting him that high. We need a forward-cum-ruckman, not a ruckman-cum-forward.
I don't think it's as simple as just assuming that he'll put on weight and that will be that. Look at Notte for instance.

Day would a forward come ruck.

Gorringe is light. Notte was drafted at an ultra light weight.

I agree that WC need a Forward-cum-Ruckman more. I believe, as you say, that it comes down to his forward line prowess.
If his skills are adequate as a forward, WC fill 2 needs with the 1 player. A back-up Ruckman and a FF.

I think it's a slightly different case to Notte, in that Gorringe will be able to keep himself involved in the game due to his Ruck duties.
Notte just goes missing, but has less opportunity to get involved, unlike a Ruckman who's allowed to follow the ball.

I think Gorringe already has the skills to play AFL, but size is what's needed to be gained to compete against the 100kg brutes of the AFL. I think size will be Gorringe's initial hindrance to playing AFL. His results will warrant a call up before his body is ready, IMO. Talk of his results in SANFL seniors by SA BF posters hint at this conclusion too. (Make of that what you will)
Notte's a rare, perplexing case. I'm hesitant to put other players into his category. He's got the skills, apparently the work ethic, but yields little by way of results. Notte needs the body to get the results, unlike how I think it'll pan out for Gorringe, who'll dominate WAFL before having the size of an AFL Ruckman.
Gorringe at an under developed body size for Ruck duties, is still sufficient to be used primarily as a forward at AFL level. He will be used sparingly in the Ruck initially, as would be expected, so I don't think it'll be that big of an issue.

It all comes down to how good of a forward he is, that complements his good Ruck work.

If we took a tall i would want and the eagles would pick in this order
day
darling
gorringe

Some people want gorringe for the 2 needs thing. but realistically he's not a good enough FF he's a ruckman who can play forward. We need a FF a lot more than we need a ruckman. Day would obviously be perfect as he is a forward who can play in the ruck as a backup. Also he's better than both darling and gorringe.

I would actually want us to go for a tall with pick 4 if we managed to get another pick mid first round through trading so we could pick up an outside mid.
But if we only have say pick 26 we'd be looking at andreoli at best. So i would wanna go with a mid like atley with pick 4.

IF the rumour over Sam Day talking to the Eagles on the weekend and that Day not keen on GC , but would come to Perth was true ! ..... West Coast would need to choose between --mad Eagles Fan Darling or Sam " I'm not sure which sport to play " Day , Tough decision .... maybe Day on immense potential !

What rumours and from where??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back