Preview 1st Semi Final - Carlton v West Coast Sat 17th Sep at Patersons Stadium - Team/post #551

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 1st Semi Final - Carlton v West Coast Sat 17th Sep at Patersons Stadium

Hopefully Hampson has a similar impact as he did in the Bullants, and i doubt Juddy will have a second successive quite game.

Much of this rests on the shoulders of the MC

We got smashed in match ups last time, and with the bulk of our best available they need to get it right. From there, Ratten has to coach really well

The more I think about Carlton, the more I think we can, but also the more I think about West Coast I think we dont stand a chance

Injury thread.
Molly1 is good for inside info

Doc Larkins said on the Herald Sun webstie that it was only a strain and with careful management during the week , he would be sore but still play.

Fingers crossed!

Doc Larkins said on the Herald Sun webstie that it was only a strain and with careful management during the week , he would be sore but still play.

Fingers crossed!

They will be sooo into his shoulder if he plays. Should start him at FF so he can play for a free in front of goal before the siren.

They will be sooo into his shoulder if he plays. Should start him at FF so he can play for a free in front of goal before the siren.

Not a bad idea ;) On gibbs it is the sort of injury where you can jab him pre game and he's a good chance of getting through.

Will go down as one of the worst terms along with "due diligence" and "frontal pressure"
Not directed at you Keyser Soze, but for the usual suspects that continue to use them.

I also see it is a tight game on the field, but just a little concerned for our shooting on goal.
Hoping to get it on the positive side of the ledger, just for a change.

What would you say instead of press? IMO WCE ability to lock the ball in the forward half has been the top reason that WCE have turned their season around.

1 thing I see alot is just because they have alot of talls, doesnt mean that we have to play alot of talls also...

I dont want to go into this game just copying their structure because having 2 ruckmen, and then also setanta probably wont work for us like it does for them... our game is speed... not tall...

I think we would be safer in bringing in a bower or leave davies (even tho he aint that tall) to provide that extra tall down back for when they have big Q, kennedy and a resting ruckman in the forward line and have army as sub to just run his ass off in the last qtr and hopefully break some lines....

WE MUST LEAVE THE FORWARD LINE SETUP AS IS.... it was fantastic to watch both setanta and thornton providing contests and bringin the ball down for our small forwards to either score or lock it in... Hopefully this week setanta actually hangs onto a few as he is normally a good kick for goal (as long as he doesnt play on), and thornton is also a good kick...

We can talk ins/outs and tactics all day long .. IMO we need a good start .. why? because need to silence the crowd early on .. This is the major factor in a traditional away matches, especially in Finals. I cant see too many changes but i want 22 fit blokes out there.
I really have a good feeling about this one. Hit'em hard early Blues run, run, and we will win this.

Gibbs ok, will play.

1 change, out Davies, in Hampson more than likely/ or Kreuzer should he be 100% which is not likely at all.

As per popular opinion..
Good to see Ratts is finally taking the advice of the Carlton BigFooty board.
Long overdue.

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but here are some of the Carlton players that played in our last match with the WCE that most likely will not play this week:

Definitely won't play:
Houlihan
Waite
Austin
O'Keefe

Unlikely to play:
Russel
Tuohy
Kreuzer (inj?)

Also in this match:

Jamison was lost early in the match with injury (leaving our undermanned defence even worse off)

Henderson was played forward (and kicked 0.0)
Thornton was played back

Players that are likely to line up this weekend that didn't play last time:
Duigan
Laidler
Robinson
O'aHailphin
Joseph
Jamison (full match hopefully)

With the possibility of:
Hampson

Looking at it like this it was a wonder we didn't lose by 100 points to WCE last time.

-We had Kreuzer (just returned from injury) playing ruck with Warnock (who was in average form)

-No forward line tall options except for a resting ruck.

-Very little experience in the backline. (Jamo went down early and Duigs was not in the side)

-Missing grunt from Robinson

-Several players who were in their 1st/2nd matches for the club

Therefore I think it's fair to say that it will be a different story this time.

Using the excuse "we had Kreuzer (just returned from injury)" isn't the reason Kreuzer was down against the Eagles last time they met, because Kreuzer was close to, if not, best on against Sydney the previous week.

Using the excuse "we had Kreuzer (just returned from injury)" isn't the reason Kreuzer was down against the Eagles last time they met, because Kreuzer was close to, if not, best on against Sydney the previous week.

Yes, because the form of players coming back from serious injury never, ever fluctuates.

Please.

not sure if this has been mentioned but the last time we played them we had,

Jamison go down in the first quarter,
No Duigan,
No Laidler,
No Robinson

Had O'Keefe, Houlihan & Austin in the side.

We had Gibbs at various stages playing on Lynch.

Hendo completely shut out Kennedy when he went back.

Warnock came back from a few weeks out with injury and playing in the 2's.

They almost had their best side available bar 1 or 2 (bottom 5 players).

We played at Etihad.

The things we can take out of the weekends game is that

Thornton will have a far better opponent on him this week, as will O'hAilpin.

On them:

Their press is one of if not the best in the comp.

It's at their home ground.

They bat deeper in the midfield than Essendon and have players that can go with Judd and Murphy.

Their rucks actually impose themselves in the game.

Their forwards are in form.

They are better equipped to contain Eddie and Jeffy.

Slightly confident about this game. Will be a tough encounter, it will be about how we get through their zone.

Go Blues

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They bat deeper in the midfield and have players that can go with Judd and Murphy.

Don't agree with these 2 points. Who are they going to play on Eddie and Jeff? They don't have a defender with pace, let alone 2.

Defenders last week were: S.Selwood, E.McKenzie, B.Waters; S.Hurn, D.Glass, S.Butler

If we get the ball over the back, we will run away with it. I would expect they will play a lose man in defense to try to prevent it. We need to man that player up as when sides have done this and we didn't man up we got killed.

What would you say instead of press? IMO WCE ability to lock the ball in the forward half has been the top reason that WCE have turned their season around.

I don't like "lock the ball" either. :p

It's just that speaking with WC people, "The Press" comes up as though you own the term.
Just expecting to see "Patent Pending" next to it.

The Press aside, how are you going to beat The Blues on the weekend?
Now I'm interested.

If you actually watched Kreuzer you would know he has struggled to run out games including that one. Late in some of the games Henderson was being used as a ruckman. An ACL usually takes a year to recover from, one great game in your second game back doesn't mean he wasn't still recovering.

As per popular opinion..
Good to see Ratts is finally taking the advice of the Carlton BigFooty board.
Long overdue.

He's always taken our advice.
Just one more for the road. TUOHY IN, RATTS.

There. Done. :thumbsu:

Yes, because the form of players coming back from serious injury never, ever fluctuates.

Please.

Would Kreuzer not be in a similar predicament if he were to come in against WC this week?

Btw, I never said anything regarding fluctuating form upon returning. But, I'm not the one making excuses for Kreuzer though.

If you actually watched Kreuzer you would know he has struggled to run out games including that one. Late in some of the games Henderson was being used as a ruckman. An ACL usually takes a year to recover from, one great game in your second game back doesn't mean he wasn't still recovering.

Kreuzer had no problem being effective against Sydney the week prior to Carlton's last encounter against WC. Kreuzer was fit to play and had would've been confident going into the the WC game given his efforts against Sydney. To say that he's just returning from injury is just an excuse.

This is correct

Waters was our only genuine best 22 player missing but this is balanced out by the loss of Rosa since we played last.

The other changes are swaps of fringe players (McGinnity for Smith / Masten for Swift).

And I'm assuming Cox and Kerr will play

Fair to say that your selected side will have more improvement from our last meeting than ours will which probably balances out the change in venue and travel factor.

No Duigan,
No Laidler,
No Robinson

We played at Etihad.

On them:

They bat deeper in the midfield and have players that can go with Judd and Murphy.

Slightly confident about this game. Will be a tough encounter, it will be about how we get through their zone.

Go Blues

Like !

I feel we are a massive chance .. don;t reckon the travel factor will matter, we should be fresh, having Round 23 off...

Kreuzer had no problem being effective against Sydney the week prior to Carlton's last encounter against WC. Kreuzer was fit to play and had would've been confident going into the the WC game given his efforts against Sydney. To say that he's just returning from injury is just an excuse.
So you have never seen a player come back after a long time out, have a cracking game then struggle for a few weeks.

It happens regularly. Ex players often talk about the "second week blues" as you build and build for that first week, but the other thing you haven't done in the last 12 months is go through "recovery" to get up for the next week.

Physically and mentally week 2 IS different to that first game. There is a lot of talk over here this week (well, until Scully hit the news that is) about the Pies and whether they would have been better to have another game this week with their underdone players wanting to get that "second game" out of the way before the prelim. This was coming from ex players and coaches.

WCE should go into this game confident, but they wouldn't want to underestimate us. We will present a different challenge to the team they met in round 14.

No Duigan,
No Laidler,
No Robinson

We played at Etihad.

On them:

Go Blues

Spot on, we were never really any chance with Jammo getting injured in the first qtr, being forced to put Gibbs on Lynch and having to play Hendo at FB which basically took away any viable key forward target not to mention all the outs we had in the first place.

Though I would like to add that even though the game is at their home ground, I think the larger field along with the confidence gained from winning a lot of interstate matches recently will suit us. I would be more worried if the game was at Etihad to be honest.

If Kruze doesn't come up, I wouldn't mind giving Hampson a go because the guy can run and is playing with confidence lately could be a decent matchup for NicNat and we could even throw him in FF and put Setant in the backline when they move Cox forward because I'd be more confident if we had Setant down back to help defend against their rucks than to put either Warnock or Hammer back there.

So yeah, this should be a completely different game than the one we played in rd14 and I'm pretty confident we can beat them :thumbsu:

Don't agree with these 2 points. Who are they going to play on Eddie and Jeff? They don't have a defender with pace, let alone 2.

Defenders last week were: S.Selwood, E.McKenzie, B.Waters; S.Hurn, D.Glass, S.Butler

If we get the ball over the back, we will run away with it. I would expect they will play a lose man in defense to try to prevent it. We need to man that player up as when sides have done this and we didn't man up we got killed.

I forgot to mention that they bat deeper in the midfield than Essendon not compared to our. :thumbsu:

For the bold in red to happen we need to get through one of if not the best press in the comp. That is what i am worried about.

I really don't see a match-up for AJ in this game. Perhaps Smith or could he even line up on Shuey? Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back