Preview 1st Semi Final - Carlton v West Coast Sat 17th Sep at Patersons Stadium - Team/post #551

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Carlton vs. West Coast: NEXT WEEK

Would love for Hampson to be given a bag of balls of made to practice set shot kicking all week, then bring him in and stick him in the goal square, no rucking or moving up the ground, leave that for warnock and setanta

Take away Glass and let the others work around him, he doesn't need to kick goals or anything, just keep Glass in the square and if he Manages a few marks give him the best chance to kick them

We are going to need lots of pace and hard bodies who have a real crack. AJ and Armfield are going now here. Doubt any ruckmen will come in. Can't see Hampson being fit enough, let alont to play ruck on a massive ground. Doesn't fit in with our structure at all, you would have to drop O'hAilpin for him which is not going to happen.

Winning the ruck was a big part of beating Essendon. Going to be a massive challenge in this area, they truely have the advantage with two ruckmen who are good in the tap work and good around the ground and up forward.

West Coast ruck combo is clearly the best in the comp at the moment, and judging by Ratten's after match comments that Hampson will play, cannot see us having O'Alphin as a back up ruck against them, we need to match them in this area if we are to beat them.

O'Alphin is certainly a contributor as a forward but he is no ruckman and would be towelled up against Nat/Cox Combination.

We can certainly afford to give Hampson the opportunity and drop Davies.

West Coast did get us at the right time earlier in the year, and payback could be a real bitch. What we must do is get our team selections right this week. Hammer kicked 6, and could come in. Like the idea of him playing as a taller forward and second ruckman. Also allows Carlos to stay in the forward line as well. And it gives us some real flexibility with our talls.

We also need to put a heap of pressure on their young mids - Gaff, Ebert, S.Selwood and Masten. They've been a big reason why they have improved so much, and with the depth we have in our midfield, we should be at least able to break even with them.

The good thing is that no-one will really think we can beat West Coast over there, so we can go over there and have a real red hot go. All the pressure will be in them.

The monkey is certainly off Carltons back winning a final. Know one expects them to beat WC in Perth. I hope our boys don't believe the press

I think the Pies thought they only had to turn up against WC and looked what happened there

Truth is these to teams have had good years. Trading places with 4th and 5th all year. So should be a good contest. People say Carlton haven't beat anyone in the top 4 but they got with in a kick of Geelong/Hawthorn and took it up to the Pies both games. So certainly on there day the Blues can be a handful

Still I'm confident...but also a little nervous:thumbsu:

Baffles me the amount of people on here every week who would like to see the omission of Ellard from the team.

It's no coincidence that Ellard comes back in to the team and we smash the clearances again.

Ellard was good today. In fact the whole "b side" - guys like Ellard, Armfield, Robinson were all good today. No one deserves to be dropped. Theres no reason Setanta and hammer cant be in the same side, and it might free Thornton up to support the defensive half of the ground, although after his work this week, Im not entirely sure we want that either. Having Setanta does give us that flexibility too. Bower wont be back this year, not with jamison and henderson playing bloody well, and supported well by Duigan, Laidler, Yarran and Scotland/Joseph today.

Truth is these to teams have had good years. Trading places with 4th and 5th all year. So should be a good contest.

Just need to correct this. We did not trade places all year. We where sitting 3rd or 4th all year until the last 3 weeks or so. Not a biggy but I hate how people make up their own facts to suit their story.;)

If anything we traded places with Hawthorn in the top4.

Dropping Davies IMO is going to be a big mistake he would be the perfect match up for darling

Correct, assuming Gibbs is fine to play next week and Laidler doesn't get rubbed out (didn't see incident?), then only change I'd make is Hampson for Davies.

That leaves us with Jamo, Hendo, Setanta, Warnock, Hampson and Thornton as our talls.

This :thumbsu:

Would it be fair to say we play Subi better than Etihad? :p

Send Juddy over on Wednesday so he can get a few days sleep in! Would love for Jamo to keep Kennedy goal less and for Juddster to be BOG just to put all of those 'impartial' supporters who say WCE got the better of the trade back in their cage!

Ellard was good today. In fact the whole "b side" - guys like Ellard, Armfield, Robinson were all good today. No one deserves to be dropped. Theres no reason Setanta and hammer cant be in the same side, and it might free Thornton up to support the defensive half of the ground, although after his work this week, Im not entirely sure we want that either. Having Setanta does give us that flexibility too. Bower wont be back this year, not with jamison and henderson playing bloody well, and supported well by Duigan, Laidler, Yarran and Scotland/Joseph today.

You're a tough judge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's not the A-team - Judd, Murphy, Simpson, Gibbs - in most neutral supporters estimations. I love the guy, not talking about my perception.

Perception may require a little calibration, Wookie.
Will be in our top ten in the B&F and may just embarrass a few higher profile names along with that.

Not speaking about you here, but sometimes I wonder what the footballing public would think of him of he looked like James Hird?
Some people actually seem to devalue Robbo for his appearance. Quite strange.

if you read the main board, its primarily because his delivery and decision making skills seem to be questionable at times - and they arent really wrong there, he is capable of some odd decisions and some shocking kicking, but entirely made up for the fact that most players wouldnt have got the ball he had in the first place. I wouldnt have him any other way.

Naitanui v his best mate Yazz, can't wait. :D:thumbsu: It's almost like my second Swans team coming back home. Bring it on, win or lose. :)

Have to be a chance next week. No way we'll be as bad as what we were the last time we played them.

All things taken into consideration, I think we should be favoured to beat them.
We bring the same intensity and I can't see any reason why we won't, we'll really trouble them in the centre.

Early doors, but getting over WC in Perth and we have a very good shot at troubling Geelong on the MCG.
There is no big advantage for Geelong having the week off as we had ours only two weeks earlier.

Not saying it will happen, but with Hampson, Bower, Tuohy and Lucas all playing well, we have got very good back up should we continue further through this series.

Naitanui v his best mate Yazz, can't wait. :D:thumbsu: It's almost like my second Swans team coming back home. Bring it on, win or lose. :)

It will be intersting as to the West Coast supporters feelings after watching this match.
West Coast certainly have the height to worry Carlton but we'll also bring over a few weapons of our own.

Really see this one as being a very special game.
No Prisoners taken and No Passengers forthcoming.

Theres no question that, injuries to waite and kreuzer aside, we're beginning to peak as a team at the right time. Can we go all the way? Im still inclined to believe not. I believe Hammers inclusion next week could well be the final piece of the puzzle for 2011 - and that team will be big enough - and still bloody quick (given that Hammer is one of the quickest at Carlton apparently) - to have a decent crack at the top teams all laden with big men (WCE, Geelong and Collingwood).

if you read the main board, its primarily because his delivery and decision making skills seem to be questionable at times - and they arent really wrong there, he is capable of some odd decisions and some shocking kicking, but entirely made up for the fact that most players wouldnt have got the ball he had in the first place. I wouldnt have him any other way.

Which player doesn't make the odd mistake?
I doubt his efficiency rate would be below Judd's to be honest.
A lot of his work is done in very difficult quarters but we just don't quite forgive his mistakes the way we do others.
Make no mistake, many will gloss over Hurleys errors, yet Robbo's will be highlighted.

Theres no question that, injuries to waite and kreuzer aside, we're beginning to peak as a team at the right time. Can we go all the way? Im still inclined to believe not. I believe Hammers inclusion next week could well be the final piece of the puzzle for 2011 - and that team will be big enough - and still bloody quick (given that Hammer is one of the quickest at Carlton apparently) - to have a decent crack at the top teams all laden with big men (WCE, Geelong and Collingwood).

It's possible yet that's not the way it's supposed to work.
We may fall over at the next hurdle, but we'd have to be every chance against the Eagles at home or away.
I really think we have the game to beat Geelong, yet even if all goes perfectly to that point, I wouldn't fancy our chances to knock off Collingwood, but then again I don't think any team can.

Hawthorn's been rocked with the loss of Buddy and if West Coast have lost Cox, that will make their job a little harder also.

What encouraged me today in particular was that we brought no fear to the game.
I liked the confidence the boys had in themselves and their coach.

Pretty sure Robbo was out last time as well, and we really missed him in the middle. I really like our chances on sat night!:thumbsdown:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back