Preview 1st Semi Final - Carlton v West Coast Sat 17th Sep at Patersons Stadium - Team/post #551

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Carlton vs. West Coast: NEXT WEEK

Ins: Hammer, Touhy
Outs: Gibbs (didnt look good, reckon he has a pretty sore AC joint), Davies

This.

Kruezer for Ohailpin - but only if Krueze pulls up 100%.

We'll need the extra height this week, and the only smaller bloke I would drop is Bryce (and thats only due to concerns re his shoulder).

Ohailpin back to defence on Lynch.

Hampson and Thornton up forward, supported by Betts, Gartlett, Walker and Robbo.

Jamison, Hendo, Laidler, Duigan and Yarran to nullify Kennedy, LeCras, and Darling.

Carrots to Kerr (if fit) or Priddis.

Kruezer gets the run with on Nic Nat (if fit).

Finey was talking about tonight on SEN. He said that its probably on worth a reprimand should Laidler have no carry-over points, which I don't believe he has. Can't comment as I haven't seen the incident.

Just watched it again in the replay.

Worst case scenario:

High contact (airborne hit to the head), reckless (again - airborne), low impact (player played the game out without problems).

Worst case scenario is one match with an early plea and prior good record.

If it goes from reckless to negligent, he'll escape with a reprimand with an early plea and lack of carry over points.

Should be OK.

Touch wood.

I don't often get involved in ins & outs discussions, but you'd think Hampson will come in and O'hAilpin will stay in the team. Robbo won't play forward against the Eagles, he'll be in the midfield where he belongs.

A forward line of Setanta at CHF and Hampson at FF with the medium and little guys running around their feet should keep the WC defence busy. Thornton to go forward when Hampson goes into the ruck and to help out in defence otherwise.

The only thing that should keep Hampson out of the team is a miracle recovery for Kreuzer.

Setanta offers us more up forward than Kreuzer. He's quicker and more nimble. Kreuzer is still stiff and rigid from his knee, much more suited around the ground.

If Kreuzer is to come in i'd say it'd be at the expense of Davies.

Just a thought but the following players have either player their junior footy at Subi or came from a club where they played there:

Armfield, Yarran, Garlett, Ellard, Warnock, Judd.

Mitigates the home ground advantage a little when we have a collection of guys lining up who have a lot of experiance playing there

This.

We'll need the extra height this week, and the only smaller bloke I would drop is Bryce (and thats only due to concerns re his shoulder).

Ohailpin back to defence on Lynch.

Hampson and Thornton up forward, supported by Betts, Gartlett, Walker and Robbo.

Jamison, Hendo, Laidler, Duigan and Yarran to nullify Kennedy, LeCras, and Darling.

Carrots to Kerr (if fit) or Priddis.

Kruezer gets the run with on Nic Nat (if fit).

no way should Carlos be dropped, he contested well and rucked ok.

We'll need the extra height this week...

yeah, cause dropping ohailpin for kreuzer will definetly help with extra height :thumbsu:

none of the 5 talls from yesterday will go. they won us the game. marking around the ground makes all the difference to setting up structures.

No way should Setant be dropped, he contests well and keeps his feet after most of those contests and keeps going for the ball. With Waite out he's been pretty important for our forward line.

If we have to drop someone for Kruze it would probably be Davies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would bring in Hampson for this athletic ability in keeping up with NicNat/Cox.

Hampson/Warnock ruck duo and leave O'hAilpin as a permanent FF/CHF.

Setanta's agility in the marking contest is sublime.

I would bring in Hampson for this athletic ability in keeping up with NicNat/Cox.

Hampson/Warnock ruck duo and leave O'hAilpin as a permanent FF/CHF.

Setanta's agility in the marking contest is sublime.

100% this :thumbsu:

Irish has to play to keep either Glass or Mackenzie occupied as they marked everything against us last time and set them up on the way out all day.

Need someone to rattle Nic Nats cage a bit as he doesn't like it physical, Hampson could do this I reckon but it will more then likely be Davies out for him unless Kreuzer comes up.

The irony (and it is a delicious one) of this weeks selection is that we may play all 4 ruckman in the same game. Irish will hold his spot as of course will Knockers. But Kruze and Hammer may also both be selected to play. Subi is another wide open spaces ground so we can use our run and spread to advantage, but WC have quality talls all over the ground so we dont want to be too short despite needing run. Fortune favours the brave, all 4 of our rucks are "athletic" and cover the ground well, so perhaps we might see all 4 selected in the same team. (if Gibbs shoulder is too injured for him to play, that only leaves one player to be dropped from the successful team on the weekend for this to become a possibility). If we dropped say Davies we retain the run and add the height. Worth thinking about.

Can we give this thread a proper preview title? I'm happy to write a full preview again this week.

What's wrong with the title?

It was just my way of showing annoyance that these things aren't set up to run immediately after a match, yet if someone fires them up earlier they get deleted.
An hour after the match and we didn't have one running.

Sorry Mods, but we must have some system in here, as too much is left to whoever puts their hand up first.
Preview, Game-Day, Votes and maybe another one or two regular threads should just be set into the system on auto-pilot.
Surely that should be possible.

The irony (and it is a delicious one) of this weeks selection is that we may play all 4 ruckman in the same game. Irish will hold his spot as of course will Knockers. But Kruze and Hammer may also both be selected to play. Subi is another wide open spaces ground so we can use our run and spread to advantage, but WC have quality talls all over the ground so we dont want to be too short despite needing run. Fortune favours the brave, all 4 of our rucks are "athletic" and cover the ground well, so perhaps we might see all 4 selected in the same team. (if Gibbs shoulder is too injured for him to play, that only leaves one player to be dropped from the successful team on the weekend for this to become a possibility). If we dropped say Davies we retain the run and add the height. Worth thinking about.

Just before someone else comes in and tells you that Subi isn't wide, that is not really the point.
At 176 metres in length, Subi has pretty much the same overall space as for the MCG which amounts to the same amount of turf per player available as for the MCG.

I just can't see us bring Kreuzer back for this match and anyway, I doubt he'll be ready to go.

Hampson and Tuohy look like the boys to come in.

Hampson offers us everything that Setanta does as a forward and more, and offers us a shit load more in the Ruck.

Ohailpin was servicable at best today.
Really? I disagree.

I would have said quite comfotably that Setanta has taken more marks in and around F50 in the last 2 weeks than Hampson has in his career. He is also far more dangerous at ground level.

Yes, he offers a lot more in the ruck, but Setanta has been far from disgraced in that area. Plus, if disaster strikes Setanta can also go down back and be comeptant.

More a question for me of whether Hampson comes in for a mid, but I think our balance is about right ATM.

If Kreuzer was fit then that owuld be a different kettle of fish as his run on ball serves as another mid. Kreuzer in, Davies out and ? Army sub (unfair). Thornton or Setant can help if Jammo struggles.

Just before someone else comes in and tells you that Subi isn't wide, that is not really the point.
At 176 metres in length, Subi has pretty much the same overall space as for the MCG which amounts to the same amount of turf per player available as for the MCG.

I just can't see us bring Kreuzer back for this match and anyway, I doubt he'll be ready to go.

Hampson and Tuohy look like the boys to come in.

You mean in the same way Jamo wasnt playing? Coach said he would be fit enough by Wednesday, I expect him to play. The question for me is, is 6 in the magoos enough for the call up for Hammer? No question in my mind that assuming 100% fitness Kruze has a spot, just a matter of if Hammer also gets a gig. The only thing that puts doubt in my mind is the cut away they did to Carlton players in the stand, Kruze did not look happy, arms folded and an unhappy look on his face. Having said that, I dont put much standing on the way a player "looks" especially in candid cut aways like that, I leave that for the amateur (and by that I mean all including the ones with letters after their name) pop psychologists.

I think that its great that we could discuss the possibility of any of our 4 ruckman playing or all of them. Its great to have such talented depth. And all of this without our marquee tall forward getting a mention. Unlikely we will see Waite play again this year unless we make it to the GF and he plays a blinder or 2 for Preston, cant see it happening. But next year he may well be the missing link in our forward structure, Watson to come on as a legitimate back, Thornton to finish he career as our "Duke" and our small forwards to terrorise all the way to a flag. Win or lose next week, our future looks great with such selection headaches every week.

Tuohy Jamison Laidler
Duigan Henderson Yarran
Robinson Judd Simpson
Garlett O'hAilpin Gibbs
Betts Hampson Walker
Warnock Carrazzo Murphy

Scotland Armfield Joseph Thornton

May be the best team we can take onto the spaces of Subi.
We must have height up forward this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back