Preview 1st Semi Final - Carlton v West Coast Sat 17th Sep at Patersons Stadium - Team/post #551

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Carlton vs. West Coast: NEXT WEEK

The big question is folks, if Gibbs doesn't come up - who takes his place? Lucas? Tuohy?

I was impressed with Lucas' movement and disposal (his two biggest queries of mine) vs. St Kilda.

The big question is folks, if Gibbs doesn't come up - who takes his place? Lucas? Tuohy?

I was impressed with Lucas' movement and disposal (his two biggest queries of mine) vs. St Kilda.

touhy...more physical and tougher

Not sure bringing Krueze back is wise, his form prior to injury was very average anyway.

If the mc were going to go that way I'd like to see Hammer in. Assuming both Cox and Nicnat play Nicnat will jump all over 206 as he doesn't really get off the ground and will also leave him behind for pace around the ground.

We know Hammer is quick, has a great leap and his bigger body could really work Nicnat over in the ruck contest.

This is no slight on Setanta's efforts but going up against Nicnat and quite possibly Cox will be at a whole different level to what he and 206 encountered yesterday.

Really? I disagree.

I would have said quite comfotably that Setanta has taken more marks in and around F50 in the last 2 weeks than Hampson has in his career. He is also far more dangerous at ground level.

Yes, he offers a lot more in the ruck, but Setanta has been far from disgraced in that area. Plus, if disaster strikes Setanta can also go down back and be comeptant.

More a question for me of whether Hampson comes in for a mid, but I think our balance is about right ATM.

If Kreuzer was fit then that owuld be a different kettle of fish as his run on ball serves as another mid. Kreuzer in, Davies out and ? Army sub (unfair). Thornton or Setant can help if Jammo struggles.
Hampson isn't a great pack mark, but he does hold them on the lead and one out. Hammer had 22 touches and ten marks yesterday. He's just as good at ground level as O'hAilpin with his clean hands and legspeed. Warnock did very well yesterday, but Naitanui and Cox are an altogether different prospect to Ryder and Hille. Cox and Naitanui will destroy Setanta if we use him as our relief ruck.

If we bring in Hampson to play with O'hAilpin, Warnock and Thornton, then that goes against the forward set up we've utilised this year. One ruck (Warnock/Hampson), one ruck/forward (Kreuzer/O'hAilpin/Hampson) and a marking forward (Waite/Thornton). We might be a bit short with just Thornton and Hampson, but that allows us to carry an extra onballer.

You mean in the same way Jamo wasnt playing? Coach said he would be fit enough by Wednesday, I expect him to play. The question for me is, is 6 in the magoos enough for the call up for Hammer? No question in my mind that assuming 100% fitness Kruze has a spot, just a matter of if Hammer also gets a gig. The only thing that puts doubt in my mind is the cut away they did to Carlton players in the stand, Kruze did not look happy, arms folded and an unhappy look on his face. Having said that, I dont put much standing on the way a player "looks" especially in candid cut aways like that, I leave that for the amateur (and by that I mean all including the ones with letters after their name) pop psychologists.

I think that its great that we could discuss the possibility of any of our 4 ruckman playing or all of them. Its great to have such talented depth. And all of this without our marquee tall forward getting a mention. Unlikely we will see Waite play again this year unless we make it to the GF and he plays a blinder or 2 for Preston, cant see it happening. But next year he may well be the missing link in our forward structure, Watson to come on as a legitimate back, Thornton to finish he career as our "Duke" and our small forwards to terrorise all the way to a flag. Win or lose next week, our future looks great with such selection headaches every week.

I'm all for our experienced players coming straight back into our team after a lay-off, but some credible reports suggest that Kreuzer will not be ready to go.
Then again, even if Kreuzer is ready the MC may still have the dilemma of whether to include him or Hampson for this week, yet I doubt they'd go for both.
That may seem like an easy enough decision for the names thrown up, but I don't think it will be given Hampsons ruck work on the weekend.

Our strength is in our run and that's the area we'll be looking at bolstering, if that is at all possible, against The Eagles.

Having said all that, it is as you say. The MC have not had an easy run with selections this year to date, so why should it start now?

yeah, cause dropping ohailpin for kreuzer will definetly help with extra height :thumbsu:

none of the 5 talls from yesterday will go. they won us the game. marking around the ground makes all the difference to setting up structures.

I would bring in Hampson for this athletic ability in keeping up with NicNat/Cox.

Hampson/Warnock ruck duo and leave O'hAilpin as a permanent FF/CHF.

Setanta's agility in the marking contest is sublime.

The irony (and it is a delicious one) of this weeks selection is that we may play all 4 ruckman in the same game. Irish will hold his spot as of course will Knockers. But Kruze and Hammer may also both be selected to play. Subi is another wide open spaces ground so we can use our run and spread to advantage, but WC have quality talls all over the ground so we dont want to be too short despite needing run. Fortune favours the brave, all 4 of our rucks are "athletic" and cover the ground well, so perhaps we might see all 4 selected in the same team. (if Gibbs shoulder is too injured for him to play, that only leaves one player to be dropped from the successful team on the weekend for this to become a possibility). If we dropped say Davies we retain the run and add the height. Worth thinking about.

Need another tall to take on the Weagles forward line.

Bring both Kruzer and Hammer in
Their forward is huge, one of Thornton and Setenta needs to play down back.

They'd just be being cautious, same as Jamo. Though Jamo did had a slight limp while walking on the boundary....have a feeling he might be playing on needles.

I'd almost be tempted to bring Waite in if he was 100% fit. If we bring him in and his judgement of the ball in the forward line isn't good enough he'd still be useful clogging up the backline against their tall forwards.

Wasn't he meant to have a hit out today?

Like others it is plain that we need talls to play against WCE. This is a final! I do not think we should take half measures but should pick the following "horses for courses" team:

FF Hampson (201), O'Hailpin (199), Gibbs (188)
Hf Thornton (192), Kreuzer (200), Casboult (198)
C Davies (188), Judd (189), Waite (194)
HB Bower (193), Henderson (196), White (190)
FB Austin (193), Jamison (193), Laidler (189)
Ruck: Warnock (206), Carrazzo 187), Walker (190)

I/C Watson (195), Lucas (188), O'Keefe (188) (s) Betts (173)

I realise this is 10 ins but apart from Casboult all have played senior footy this year. Eddie is the sub just in case it is a bit too tall and he showed yesterday he can take a good contested mark on the forward line. Never forget when Kreuzer went down against the aints we only had 3 over 190. This must not be repeated, particularly against WCE.

Murphy, Ellard, Simpson et al can take the week off and freshen up for the game against Geelong.

Not sure bringing Krueze back is wise, his form prior to injury was very average anyway.

If the mc were going to go that way I'd like to see Hammer in. Assuming both Cox and Nicnat play Nicnat will jump all over 206 as he doesn't really get off the ground and will also leave him behind for pace around the ground.

If Cox and Natanui are both clear to play, I'd be extremely surprised if we don't take in an extra ruck man. It just won't happen unless we know it will bucket down all day, where O'hAilpin come into his own.

I don't care whether it is only 10, 20 or 30% of game-time, but we can't afford to let their rucks dominate us for any period of time.

Like others it is plain that we need talls to play against WCE. This is a final! I do not think we should take half measures but should pick the following "horses for courses" team:

FF Hampson (201), O'Hailpin (199), Gibbs (188)
Hf Thornton (192), Kreuzer (200), Casboult (198)
C Davies (188), Judd (189), Waite (194)
HB Bower (193), Henderson (196), White (190)
FB Austin (193), Jamison (193), Laidler (189)
Ruck: Warnock (206), Carrazzo 187), Walker (190)

I/C Watson (195), Lucas (188), O'Keefe (188) (s) Betts (173)

I realise this is 10 ins but apart from Casboult all have played senior footy this year. Eddie is the sub just in case it is a bit too tall and he showed yesterday he can take a good contested mark on the forward line. Never forget when Kreuzer went down against the aints we only had 3 over 190. This must not be repeated, particularly against WCE.

Murphy, Ellard, Simpson et al can take the week off and freshen up for the game against Geelong.

You're phunny.

Sorry mate, but youve got rocks in your head.

Height doesnt win finals on its own, you need a team of 22 players who complement each other. Need players who can tag, run off half back and sneak goals. WC arent all tall, they have a balance.

To drop 10 players (most of which were stars yesterday) would be a kick in the balls.

In: Hampson
Out: Davies (2E for Gibbs if he's hurt)
Sub: Armfield

He's just as good at ground level as O'hAilpin with his clean hands and legspeed. Warnock did very well yesterday, but Naitanui and Cox are an altogether different prospect to Ryder and Hille. Cox and Naitanui will destroy Setanta if we use him as our relief ruck.

If we bring in Hampson to play with O'hAilpin, Warnock and Thornton, then that goes against the forward set up we've utilised this year. One ruck (Warnock/Hampson), one ruck/forward (Kreuzer/O'hAilpin/Hampson) and a marking forward (Waite/Thornton). We might be a bit short with just Thornton and Hampson, but that allows us to carry an extra onballer.
Don't agree about ground level. I think Setanta squares and wins more ground ball, but agree in the ruck, Setanta would get smashed.

So who goes out for Hammer?

Would you want Setanta out Hampson in?

We know Hammer is quick, has a great leap and his bigger body could really work Nicnat over in the ruck contest.

This is no slight on Setanta's efforts but going up against Nicnat and quite possibly Cox will be at a whole different level to what he and 206 encountered yesterday.

Kruzes form for the past few weeks (not including the Saints game where he still managed a mark and goal despite starting the game with his foot problem) has been no worse than say Garlett relative to the roles they play and we all saw how that ended up. Its not what he has or hasnt done but what he could do. Fitness IMO will be the only thing that keeps him out of the team. If he is fit, he will play regardless of so called form. (And if you think ignoring so called form sounds silly, why is it that so many have been hoping that Waite could make it back? Surely not on what his last few games have produced but what he could produce for us).
And players that get injured and miss one game because of it, dont need to re-prove their form, only their fitness, if they were good enough to play 2 weeks ago then drop a game due to injury then they are still good enough to play. Jamo also proved that.

Re: 1st Semi Final - Carlton v West Coast Sat 17th Sep at Patersons Stadium

good luck this week boys. whoever can get over there to watch it do so. i headed over in 07 when the pies knocked the eagles out in extra time in the semi and believe me winning a final in enemy territory is pure gold

i really do believe that you will win this week because your midfield is just too classy for the eagles and runs alot deeper in terms of quality than theirs does. and once you get through this week your pace will really trouble geel in a prelim, whether you'd get over the line who knows but you'd be a live chance

and just imagine this city in GF week if you blokes can get thru to play the pies... i know it's looking a long way ahead but i would love to see it happen

good luck this week boys. whoever can get over there to watch it do so. i headed over in 07 when the pies knocked the eagles out in extra time in the semi and believe me winning a final in enemy territory is pure gold

i really do believe that you will win this week because your midfield is just too classy for the eagles and runs alot deeper in terms of quality than theirs does. and once you get through this week your pace will really trouble geel in a prelim, whether you'd get over the line who knows but you'd be a live chance

and just imagine this city in GF week if you blokes can get thru to play the pies... i know it's looking a long way ahead but i would love to see it happen

Yeh thanks, we are a massive chance, but lets not look to far ahead .... ;)

Our pace will challenge them for sure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cox will play, bring in the Hammer! Almost single handedly got us back in the game against the Eagles late last year ;)

Bring him in for Davies and Armfield to sub? Gibbs should also be fine.

Cox will play, bring in the Hammer! Almost single handedly got us back in the game against the Eagles late last year ;)

Bring him in for Davies and Armfield to sub? Gibbs should also be fine.

This is on the money

Hammer has better form on MK at the moment, and with his athleticism is more likely to handle Nic Nat. We've been playing MK in the hope that he'll get his form back again after serious injury, hasn't happened and pretty risky to think that it'll suddenly happen in a final against Cox / Nic Nat

Davis unlucky, Army on the bench

Kreuzer will play...he will be fit. I reckon we bring him in to ruck with Warnock. Resting ruckman to sit in the goal square. We can't drop any of the other big guys to fit Hampson in. Irish & Thornton need to be backed in.

Kruzes form for the past few weeks (not including the Saints game where he still managed a mark and goal despite starting the game with his foot problem) has been no worse than say Garlett relative to the roles they play and we all saw how that ended up. Its not what he has or hasnt done but what he could do. Fitness IMO will be the only thing that keeps him out of the team. If he is fit, he will play regardless of so called form. (And if you think ignoring so called form sounds silly, why is it that so many have been hoping that Waite could make it back? Surely not on what his last few games have produced but what he could produce for us).
And players that get injured and miss one game because of it, dont need to re-prove their form, only their fitness, if they were good enough to play 2 weeks ago then drop a game due to injury then they are still good enough to play. Jamo also proved that.

Hear what you're saying 40 year, but we've been waiting to see what MK could do for a number of weeks and nothing has really happened.

Big ask to see whether he can suddenly turn it on against the best ruck duo in the comp. The guy's coming back from serious injury and that needs to be recognised.

The Garlett scenario doesn't quite stick - even when down on form Garlett is still a better option than what we have in the Bullants, besides Garlett has nearly 50 goals this year, ie. over the year he has good form. Unfortunately we haven't seen any form from Kruz apart from Brissie.

Hammer has shown good patches this year, and had two very good games b4 injury. He kicked 6 yesterday and took ten grabs in the Bullants.

Just watched Ratten's press conference.
How could we even think of not appointing him.

Come on CFC. Do it now.

yeh he was full of emotion...sign him up :thumbsu:

Why are we ruling out MK? not listed on the injuries list....
Kreuzer won't play again this year.

We won't pick player for a final after he's missed nearly two games.

I hope we pick Hampson so he sees himself as part of the side and doesn't leave to play for the Giants.

Kreuzer won't play again this year.

We won't pick player for a final after he's missed nearly two games.

I hope we pick Hampson so he sees himself as part of the side and doesn't leave to play for the Giants.

THIS! I dont know how they could look past Hammer

I'm taking all the credit for this idea. I put this to the Hawthorn guy when we were invited down to Visy Park the other night. He said it couldn't be done coz the players have to train on the ground.... yeah right!! :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Let's all bring our shovels then :D
Good on you Audrey. :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back