1st Test - Australia v England

Remove this Banner Ad

I've always said that you can't really judge the state of a test match until both teams have batted. So predictions of a thumping by Australia based on day 1 were always going to be premature.

England were appalling on the first day. But you'd have to say they had the better of us on Day 2. And the improvement was consistent throughout the day. Whether they can sustain it is quite another thing, but I'm hoepful we can at least get a contest this series.

And Australia needs a contest very very badly. We've been coasting along, thumping teams with the same ageing line-up (and that's a good thing, don't get me wrong), without having to think much about how we're going to prepare for the future. As it is our middle order looks a bit fragile - this was apparent right throughout the Pakistan tour, and it doesn't look any better right now. Martyn lacks form, and Steve Waugh is only safe courtesy of a mauling of a seriously substandard Pakistan team in a dead rubber.

He's done that twice now. The last time was on the last tour of England, when he selfishly (in my opinion) played in the last test, robbing Katich of a chance to establish himself, and smacked a big 150 carrying an injury against a demoralised England. Kudos to him, of course, but as far as thinking about the future was concerned it was purely an act of self-interest. Then nothing much until the big cherry presented itself in Pakistan.

But I digress. The indications before the Brisbane test were that the pitch would be loaded with runs. And recent form elsewhere indicated that England would be competitive. Both those indications have been borne out, so far, IMHO.

England have an ordinary bowling attack (not helped by having so many injuries), and an imposing (if not exactly formidable) batting line-up. Trescothick and Vaughan are both classy, and Hussain is in the best form of his career - which isn't exactly saying much, but it's still good for them.

This series could still be quite interesting. And when it's over some interesting questions could be asked.

Originally posted by nicko18

we are missing mark waugh in the field this match.
Why? Would he have been fielding at third slip? Or gully?

And if he was, would he have held them any better? Neither were exactly simple chances.

you have to be kidding claiming steve waugh was selfish for playing the last ashes test in england. he scored 150 for christs sake, which is about 130 more that katich would have scored. you have to field your best team.

and besides, who has ever stood down from a test so that someone could be blooded for future years?

ridiculous claim

the day we start rotating the team in dead rubber tests will be the day test matches become as meaningless as one dayers.

I thought Steve Waugh held us back in the middle order. It took him over an hour to get 7 runs, while prior to that we were going at around 4.5 an over.

His defensive and restrictive batting lost a lot of momentum for Australia and swung the control back in Englands favour.

Am I being too harsh on Tugga or not?

Can anyone explain Mark Waugh's average of 40 over a career?
And didn't he drop 3 catches in a session against the Paki's recently.
There was no way he should of got another chance... And for reasons like catching abilty. Why don't we just make him 12th man for every match.

Originally posted by scmods

Why? Would he have been fielding at third slip? Or gully?

And if he was, would he have held them any better? Neither were exactly simple chances.

no but it means the whole cordon is weakened, coz others have to fill the void in 2nd slip, which weakens the outer slip cordon. however i dont think hayden's catch would have been taken either way, despite tony greig saying that australia have probably lost confidence catching wihtout mark.

0,1658,218368,00.jpg

0,1658,218369,00.jpg

The gutsy pommy fightback could yet all be for nothing! A double wicket over from pidgeon means England have to do it all over again.

Crawley is in, I don't rate him but Stewart is still dangerous.

Yorkshire's Chris Silverwood will replace Jones, haven't seen much of him is he quick? Or is he the medium pace bowling all-rounder type?

England need 464 runs to win (which is 3.41 per over)

the highest winning 4th innings total in test history is only 406 (india in 75/76)

england have 136 overs to bat if they are going to save the match... which means australia need one wicket every 15 overs to win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do people think Mark Waugh could have played forever? At some stage he has to go and the same thing will happen - a new 2nd slip has to be blooded. What is the difference if it is now or in 6 months time (besides 6 months)? It is still inevitable.

England are collapsing like a deck of cards at the GABBA....

Alec Stewart out for a pair, Crawley out before run out by a direct hit from Gilchrist for another duck, England 5 for 35 with Jones not able to bat.

Duck count: 3 :D

Go Aussies!!
SeinDude

Remove this Banner Ad

1st Test - Australia v England

Remove this Banner Ad

Back