Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson - retires from AFL after 122gms (54 CFC/68 NM) & 130gls (76 CFC/56 NM) - '18 RS - NM will pay out contract - go well Sleevo

Remove this Banner Ad

Prior to that is a bit dusty in my mind, but maybe kicked out on the full. He frustrated the hell out of me too, but I just remember feeling really humiliated for the bloke. Was sad. Has never happened before where I felt bad for a bloke copping it at the footy and I’ve been going for 40+ years. Can hear everything at Marvel, it was venomous.
Anyway, pay for ya ticket ya get ya ride and all that. Just felt for the bloke, maybe because I’m getting older and have a son who’s now 18.
Yeah if that's the case it's pretty poor. Skill errors go with the ****ing territory at North. No reason to get stuck into a bloke unduly. Fair chance it's that sort of shit which has contributed to this decision

😂 he aint getting a game at Werribee, they work too hard
Somewhere up in the sherbrooke shire, upwey, ftg or maybe over at belgrave with taylor garner.

Then a few cameo adds with advanced hair and a B grade celebrity circuit stint on dancing with the stars and love Island.

The worlds his oyster.

From Jaidyn's point of view - fair enough. You don't have to play if you don't want to, and let's be honest, at times he played like he didn't want to. Whatever he does from here, I hope it works out for him.

From North's point of view. Seriously, WTF. Top young junior hits the AFL ground running, wins a Rising Star, plays well in a Grand Final, but all he wants to do is play for North. He gets his wish and at last North land a quality player from another club for a steal. And by the end of four years he's out the door unable to secure a spot in a seriously bad team.

Again, it's the hope that kills you.

Lost all faith when he played HB, kicked it to the opponent leading to a goal.
All the best Jaidyn

Last edited:
From North's point of view. Seriously, WTF. Top young junior hits the AFL ground running, wins a Rising Star, plays well in a Grand Final, but all he wants to do is play for North. He gets his wish and at last North land a quality player from another club for a steal. And by the end of four years he's out the door unable to secure a spot in a seriously bad
It wasn’t quite that simple. His trajectory turned back at Collingwood, with the gambling incident if not before. They read the signs and we weren’t able to turn it around either.

Regardless it’s a shame, but I guess the AFL caper isn’t for everyone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It wasn’t quite that simple. His trajectory turned back at Collingwood, with the gambling incident if not before. They read the signs and we weren’t able to turn it around either.

Regardless it’s a shame, but I guess the AFL caper isn’t for everyone.
Yep it's a shame. My suspicion is the Pies believed Treloar, Grundy and Stevo were dealing with mental health issues as well as big contracts and parted ways. We hoped a fresh start might be good for Stevo, but it didn't work out.
Treloar appears to have done quite well whilst dealing with them. Perhaps having a family has helped in that regard, but Grundy and Stevo seem to have really poor performances when it matters most the last few years.
Best of luck to Jaidyn. Hope he finds something he can enjoy and we move on with a young fella.

Last edited:
There is something seriously wrong with this playing group. It breeds pussies. And I don’t think the 30+ superfund year olds are the solution either. Our only hope are the likes of sheez and the warlord instigating change.

I don’t care if we draft talls or midfielders. I just want players with some ****ing drive, who will lift the pussies around them or leave them in their wake.

How the **** do you know what he has going on in his life? Putting your mental health above a pay day is probably the opposite of weak.
How many AFL games did DuckYeah manage in his illustrious AFL career? So many weak campaigners who would never get near it criticising someone who played over 100 games and won a rising star…
It’s sad he didn’t get more out of himself, but clearly has his demons and issues holding him back from reaching the level he showed he could get to many times.
I wish him all the best and it’s actually far from weak to step down now… it offers up a spot for someone else better positioned to make the most of it!

I guess when he said ‘some players have different strengths, they all don’t have to be tackling or be big, they just have to play their role’ (something along those lines)

That was probably a moment where he fell on his sword. Like how do you come back from that.

I was always of the opinion he was one of our most talented players. But it does show some evidence of the clubs approach compared to years gone by.

Taylor, Lazzaro, Drury, Stephenson, Biggie, Sellers types would probably still be on the list.

Clarkson’s not shying away now from a ruthless mentality. He is weeding out the non tough, combative and skillful players.

Something about seeing Hardeman and McKercher ready to go really shows a change coming.

I guess when he said ‘some players have different strengths, they all don’t have to be tackling or be big, they just have to play their role’ (something along those lines)

That was probably a moment where he fell on his sword. Like how do you come back from that.

I was always of the opinion he was one of our most talented players. But it does show some evidence of the clubs approach compared to years gone by.

Taylor, Lazzaro, Drury, Stephenson, Biggie, Sellers types would probably still be on the list.

Clarkson’s not shying away now from a ruthless mentality. He is weeding out the non tough, combative and skillful players.

Something about seeing Hardeman and McKercher ready to go really shows a change coming.
We're not a free ride anymore

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson - retires from AFL after 122gms (54 CFC/68 NM) & 130gls (76 CFC/56 NM) - '18 RS - NM will pay out contract - go well Sleevo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back