Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson - retires from AFL after 122gms (54 CFC/68 NM) & 130gls (76 CFC/56 NM) - '18 RS - NM will pay out contract - go well Sleevo

Remove this Banner Ad

There is something seriously wrong with this playing group. It breeds pussies. And I don’t think the 30+ superfund year olds are the solution either. Our only hope are the likes of sheez and the warlord instigating change.

I don’t care if we draft talls or midfielders. I just want players with some ****ing drive, who will lift the pussies around them or leave them in their wake.
Laz and drury had drive. The problem is you need both a toolkit and a tikka.

Sleevo had talent on spades but a heart the size of a pea.

Would we have delisted Curtis Taylor if we knew Stevo was going.

Yeah I reckon he was cooked either way.
12 months ago.
Almost to the day.

The group has a footy trip to Bali.
Most of the group returns home to get stuck into pre-season.

2 players decide to travel to Vegas.

Those 2 players are now done at the club.

Uncanny

It's disappointing that Stephenson wasted his talent when he still had the opportunity to dig in and get himself in top condition but if he was not prepared to give it 100% then it's best that he's moved himself on - whether that was really his choice or not probably isn't anybody's business but his own.

He was a bit of an enigma at North as others have said. Clearly, he could play but like plenty of others who've represented the club over the journey, he could be chocolate or he could be boiled lollies from week to week, quarter to quarter or even from one bit of play to the next.

All the best to him but let's hope his moving on is a signal that the club has made extreme demands of the playing personnel and that those who are on the list as of now respond with maximum effort.

Last edited:
From Jaidyn's point of view - fair enough. You don't have to play if you don't want to, and let's be honest, at times he played like he didn't want to. Whatever he does from here, I hope it works out for him.

From North's point of view. Seriously, WTF. Top young junior hits the AFL ground running, wins a Rising Star, plays well in a Grand Final, but all he wants to do is play for North. He gets his wish and at last North land a quality player from another club for a steal. And by the end of four years he's out the door unable to secure a spot in a seriously bad team.

Again, it's the hope that kills you.
There was always a reason the pies were so welcoming his move out…

There is something seriously wrong with this playing group. It breeds pussies. And I don’t think the 30+ superfund year olds are the solution either. Our only hope are the likes of sheez and the warlord instigating change.

I don’t care if we draft talls or midfielders. I just want players with some ****ing drive, who will lift the pussies around them or leave them in their wake.
Isn’t this a good sign that we’re cleaning these blokes out?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is just revisionism. They had to get rid of wanted players due to f***ing up their salary cap. Moany of them were more happy to see Treloar go than Stevo.
Yup. But they close to keep others over him. My point is this isn’t a failing on NMFC. Collingwood knew he wasn’t as serious as others, and I’m sure we did too. But we took a punt and it didn’t work out. So be it.

From Jaidyn's point of view - fair enough. You don't have to play if you don't want to, and let's be honest, at times he played like he didn't want to. Whatever he does from here, I hope it works out for him.

From North's point of view. Seriously, WTF. Top young junior hits the AFL ground running, wins a Rising Star, plays well in a Grand Final, but all he wants to do is play for North. He gets his wish and at last North land a quality player from another club for a steal. And by the end of four years he's out the door unable to secure a spot in a seriously bad team.

Again, it's the hope that kills you.

Yep, all thanks to David Noble and Paul Roos

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Two memories stand out to me for Sleevos time with us

The first was his amazing game in 2021 against the Eagles over there. He was awesome

The second is the below, still the most mind numbing thing I’ve ever seen on a footy field

IMG_3453.jpeg

I've said something similar to this. There is definitely something fundamentally wrong, and maybe some of that has stemmed from a contentment to rest on laurels and coast along living the (fairly) high life on however many 100,000s a year. Something still feels very much off, even in the wake of the two most infuriatingly laid back and uninterested footballers on the list departing.

But I think together Parker, Daniel and Darling form an extremely senior core that will have no interest in half-arsing things. I have no doubt around the effort levels of any of them, even though I have concerns around Darling's actual output. Maybe they can be the bridge between our few dedicated footballers and the rest of the clownshow, and coax/coerce a few of the others over. Specifically looking at Curtis, Zurhaar, Larkey (attitude-wise), McDonald, Powell, Duursma, Ford, Stephens, Fisher, Bergman when I say this.

I've got a sense that there's at least the glimpse of a pathway out of this now. Imo the geriatrics at least mitigate a couple of our more severe issues, and hopefully we see it. We don't need six more top five picks, we just need the current crop to start acting and feeling like footballers, and maybe there'll be enough pressure from the dedicated group, as well as leadership that we've enlisted, to start pushing the lever in that direction.

I mean, if there isn't, and if it doesn't, there won't be much of an argument to be put up against proposals to fold the club

+1 to posters who are torn on this. He obviously had the talent, just never seemed to get it together for long periods of time.

Don't understand why we have to pay out the contract though, if it was a career ending injury and can't play anymore, I could understand that 100%. But he chose to retire.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson - retires from AFL after 122gms (54 CFC/68 NM) & 130gls (76 CFC/56 NM) - '18 RS - NM will pay out contract - go well Sleevo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back