AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper - The mullet hath returneth - 22/6

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought that Gawns goal last year in the Semi was one of the the best ruckman’s goals I ever seen. Drapes was like hold my beer 🤣.
Super Freak Flirting GIF by Rick James

That goal is the best thing I have seen for many a year :)

Nick Nat is a good comparison although Draper probably the better aerialist (barring the odd Nic Nat hanger). Like Natinui he influences the game in ways you dont. necessarily expect from a ruckman. Also like Natinui he is just a super powerful athlete.
His follow-up work is reminiscent of NicNat for sure, but a better aerialist? I mean, Draper can jump into the air but he rarely takes a mark. He gets through a power of work around the ground which compensates for his lack of marking. If he started taking more marks he would go to the next level.

That goal is absolutely ridiculous. The reality of the athlete can get lost when you watch a lot of football, so inside 11 seconds: he competes for the ruck, runs 70 metres, breaks two tackles and settles for the checkside. He’s 203cm. Wtf is this man.

Maybe not visions after all :oops:
So he gets one right and he did the correct thing first by handballing and not trying to side step the midfielders . Much easier to side step at speed in open play .if he tries to side step rather than handball then the goal does not happen. I do not mind him using his but force on the run. It was half step half tend off.
My point is do not keep doing it in traffic. First option. Using the first option payed off.

Last edited:
His follow-up work is reminiscent of NicNat for sure, but a better aerialist? I mean, Draper can jump into the air but he rarely takes a mark. He gets through a power of work around the ground which compensates for his lack of marking. If he started taking more marks he would go to the next level.
Not saying he’s great….he can be a lot better.

I think he probably marks it more than Nic Nat who other than the odd hanger had very little impact in the air.

Heart and soul player. Any skill based limitations are made up for with effort and enthusiasm.

You need to take the good with the bad but he's building very nicely. Agreed he can still get his hands on it a bit more around the ground but I'm hoping the coaches stick with he and Phillips as an unconventional but more than decent tandem.

How many marks do you think NicNat takes per game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Their mark averages are the same, but that doesn't mean Draper is better in the air. The jury would still be out on that. As Vander18 said, NicNat takes hangers.
I wasnt arguing that Draper is better, more that NicNat is not the aerial threat he was indicated as being. NicNat for the most part, take one or less marks per game, of which a very small amount have been hangers. As Draper is less than 50 games into his career, he has the opportunity to improve this aspect of his game - something NicNat never did. Personally I would rather a Ruck model their marking game on a Gawn or a Nankervis, who can take a contested mark, than one who might win Mark of the Year but offer very little else in that regards.. besides, Draper has just won a Goal of the Year, so don't be greedy 😅

That goal is absolutely ridiculous. The reality of the athlete can get lost when you watch a lot of football, so inside 11 seconds: he competes for the ruck, runs 70 metres, breaks two tackles and settles for the checkside. He’s 203cm. Wtf is this man.
And the soft touch handball weighted perfectly to Guelf

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper - The mullet hath returneth - 22/6

Remove this Banner Ad

Back