2008 Official BigFooty Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry no real time for much of a write up flat off my feet here but:

PICK72 ADELAIDE BEN BUCOVAZ

Getting later in the draft now but thought I'd squeeze a taller bloke in here, I actually don't mind him, have seen him play a little not a lot but his leap and hands impressed me when up forward and his strength and composure was sound in defence when at CHB. A versatile sort...bit of an in between type but could be transferred into a multi-use sort of player. He def has some talent and has reasonable skills but his pace is moderate - but ok. Good build 188cm 88kg I think which is pretty good. Could really develop into a handy quarterback 3rd tall or a good option up forward.

Via PM from Snoop Dog.

Snoop Dog said:
# 73 Collingwood - Tom German (179cm / 80kg / Calder Cannons)

Well I was swaying between Jones and German and would have taken Jones bc he is bottom age and bc I think German would have been there at rookie time. German is a terrific young footballer with a good footy brain. One of those players that is not overly quick but he reads the play exceptionally well. Spent much of this year battling injuries but you only have to look back to 07 to see what a quality footballer he is. Tough and aggressive centreman who will win his own footy and typically use the pill very well when he gets it. Blease, Heyne, Pearce and German are a nice bunch of young mids and along with Cornelius represent a draft am pretty happy with ....... except for missing on Jones.

Also thought of taking Mitch Banner here and look he is probably a better chance than Tom but I am a massive fan of German so I am taking him before Foj1 does. Mangan was another along with Motlop but he isnt really what we need. For other talls I liked Stopp and again was surprised he got picked up after there being v little chatter about him. Gillies , Simpkin and Williams were the other talls I thought of.

For Pies fans we are probably one tall short on the list but with Keefe and Reed coming into the side and the opp to take a few talls in the rookie draft I decided on going with a high quality ball winner.

Bourky23 is up.

Richmond Pick #70 - Liam Jones - 194 cm, 84 kg

Underaged AIS Scholarship holder who fits a need. Missed most of this year due to injury, and didn't represent his home state (Tasmania) in the U/18 carnival.

Is of good height, got good agility and pace, has a very nice set of hands, and likes to take a 'specky'.

Watched Jones take Clarence Under 17's apart three years ago with 8 goals, and he just screamed future prospect. Very quick, lost his man easily, and was marking everything, both on the lead and in the air. Scholarship holder with Melbourne Grammar if I remember correctly, Jones has too much upside to pass up on at this late pick.
Good pick TFLUA. We don't need a forward but if he had been there at 80 I was going to take him there. Sounds like a few others might have had their eye on him as well. Interesting that there has been no noise on him on this board but he seems like a pretty good prospect.

Richmond Pick #70 - Liam Jones - 194 cm, 84 kg

Underaged AIS Scholarship holder who fits a need. Missed most of this year due to injury, and didn't represent his home state (Tasmania) in the U/18 carnival.

Is of good height, got good agility and pace, has a very nice set of hands, and likes to take a 'specky'.

Watched Jones take Clarence Under 17's apart three years ago with 8 goals, and he just screamed future prospect. Very quick, lost his man easily, and was marking everything, both on the lead and in the air. Scholarship holder with Melbourne Grammar if I remember correctly, Jones has too much upside to pass up on at this late pick.

He is actually at Scotch College not Melbourne Grammar TFLUA. Not 100% sure whether he's on a scholarship but I presume so.

St.Kilda selects Ben Cousins

really want us to secure him so picking him up in the National Draft is probably our best option..

LJ, Sheehan, Jones, Klemke and Benny Cuz

i'm stoked!:D

St.Kilda selects Ben Cousins

really want us to secure him so picking him up in the National Draft is probably our best option..

LJ, Sheehan, Jones, Klemke and Benny Cuz

i'm stoked!:D

Not wanting to be a stickler, but is this allowable, given that the AFL Commission haven't given him the go ahead just yet?

Not wanting to be a stickler, but is this allowable, given that the AFL Commission haven't given him the go ahead just yet?

i know something you don't HBF;)

haha nah, i'm cool with whatever VC decides..

will happily take my pick again if need be

Well, recycled players can be taken in this (even though they're no fun). I frankly haven't been following the Cousins saga though. I guess it's not a problem - largely because the net is down at home and I need to quickly text Hodgey to let him know it's his pick and then hopefully get a response before my time at the library runs out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats a nice selection. He was in the mix for me at #77 and I am really impressed with his attack on the footy, decision making, leap etc. Reminds me of Sam Fischer but the question is the height. If he were 4cm taller now he may have gone around 30-40.

I'm pretty sure that Stopp measured at State Screening at 192cm or 193cm. Has really long arms that allow him to play even taller than his 192cm.

He won SA U/18s best team man award and will end up a great player at AFL level because of his work ethic. His beep test of 14.10 at State Screening was better than any recorded at this year's Draft Camp as well so he obviously has a decent engine for a tall.

His beep test of 14.10 at State Screening was better than any recorded at this year's Draft Camp as well so he obviously has a decent engine for a tall.

These are the Draft Camp results, so I am not sure about the bold comment

Shuttle Run / Beep Test (level)
1. Chris Hall – 14.6
2. Rory Sloane – 14.5
=2. Steele Sidebottom – 14.5
3. Luke Shuey – 14.4
4. Jarrad Blight – 14.3
=4. Tyson Slattery – 14.3
5. Dan Hannebery - `14.2
=5. Ian Richardson – 14.2
6. Tom Lynch – 14.1
=6. Tom Swift – 14.1

These are the Draft Camp results, so I am not sure about the bold comment

Shuttle Run / Beep Test (level)
1. Chris Hall – 14.6
2. Rory Sloane – 14.5
=2. Steele Sidebottom – 14.5
3. Luke Shuey – 14.4
4. Jarrad Blight – 14.3
=4. Tyson Slattery – 14.3
5. Dan Hannebery - `14.2
=5. Ian Richardson – 14.2
6. Tom Lynch – 14.1
=6. Tom Swift – 14.1
All that shows is that Stopp's 14.10 was indeed better than anything ran at DC this year.

Via text from LukeHodge15:

Pick 75 - Mitch Banner - Utility - 178cm, 77kg - Western Jets, Vic

Ysaye is up and we're nearing the end. Good work everyone.

chrsco is up and we're nearing the end. Good work everyone.

Do you mean Ysaye VC? I thought North Melbourne were out now?

chrsco is up and we're nearing the end. Good work everyone.

So, somebody has finally taken him.
Given that he is going to Hawthorn, it will at least give him some time to develop.

Yeah, I'm an idiot. :eek:

Don't be so harsh on yourself. As we've already witnessed this week, other posters will do that for you.:)

I think I will go with the name that was jigged in my brain by the paper (West Australian) today....

Jamie Bennell
Attributes courtesy of Streaker apparently taken at State Screening178.5cm 68.2kg
20m 2.99
Standing Vertical Jump 59cm
Running Vertical Jump 79cm
Agility 8.34
Beep Test 13.2

Only saw him once but don't remember that much to be quite honest :p. Apparently a very pacy and agile player that might move into the midfield one day.

Remove this Banner Ad

2008 Official BigFooty Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back