2008 Official BigFooty Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a process of putting a name up of someone I consider worthy of being drafted, rather than specifically going a needs basis. I had 2mins to consider an option.

Personally, I don't consider about 3 of the choices for Melb in this PD as ideal for your club. Not saying they're bad choices, but wouldnt really consider them as selections based on a needs basis [which I am sure they're not].

VC text me before and I don't think he will be online for a while, if at all tonight, so you guys might want to sort it out between you

It's been a week since my last pick and I've been looking at this thread the whole time to see if it has been completed. What happened we were going so well?
It looks as if some guys have lost interest so get replacements in IMO.

It's been a week since my last week and I've been looking at this thread the whole time to see if it has been completed. What happened we were going so well?
It looks as if some guys have lost interest so get replacements in IMO.

Mclean_4_Captain had completed all of his picks, however, with Carroll being delised, he has ended up with another selection. I believe he has been PM'd, but he hasn't been online for a few days.

Mclean_4_Captain had completed all of his picks, however, with Carroll being delised, he has ended up with another selection. I believe he has been PM'd, but he hasn't been online for a few days.

Fair enough then but if there are guys waiting for his pick then get Sinepari or Macca to do it before they lose interest to.

The other thing is just give him a PASS and move on. He'll have a pick for the PSD then which more than likely will happen.

na someone else can take it. i cant do melbourne justice, as per the comments of Future Star.

Havent studied Melbourne's needs enough to be able to assign a player so late on a needs basis. As i indicated before, I dont think M4C has gone on a needs basis, but also believe he's done a solid job.

So late, my money would be on a very speculative Ruck/KP or outside mid, given that I dont believe Melbourne are in a position to take a speculative selection with at least their first 3 picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A pass could work, I guess. I just want to move things along. This isn't M4C's fault obviously, because he would've thought he had no reason to keep checking the thread.

The option of key defenders Matthew Martin and Tom Gillies was shot down by a Melbourne fan (and perhaps rightfully so, because I must admit they have a bit of young talent back there). Sinepari also threw up the name Sam McGarry in case taking Gillies caused too much of a stir.

I'd be inclined to say either McGarry or pass at this stage. Would like to hear from a few of the phantom drafters and blokes like Tarquin, who have been with us all along for their opinion and the decision will be made when I log on tomorrow morning. Sorry for this dragging out.

I'll throw out Alroy Gilligan (Claremont) ... slim, lightning, left footed 177cm indingenous wingman / flanker with oodles of creativity and X-factor in the mold of an Aaron Davey. Unlucky to miss state selection. Did a slightly longer write-up in Tarquin's Mock Draft thread.

Not sure if he'd fit in with Melbourne's needs ?

Sorry guys, we got past pick 67 and i went away for the weekend and only got home last night.

Give me a few minutes to see who's still left, but it's unlikely i would've taken either of the last 2, so they can keep them.

I know some Melbourne supporters would probably like to see us take an another key forward here, but Melbourne can't expect to fill all of our forward needs in just one draft & we've already picked up 2 great options. I would've taken Jones if available, but he went and i think there are better other options.

Pick 76 - Melbourne - Liam Shiels

Also thought about Gotch & Stanton here. I lent away from Stanton as i've already taken Swift & Broadbent who are both taller midfield utilities.

Shiels is a bottom ager who had a great u16 carnival last year and followed that up with a solid u18 carnival this year, but he maybe should've done a bit more. A bigger possessions winner who does really well at the clearances, and he can find the goals when he goes forward. Kicking can be a bit off at times, but he is usually a pretty good kick.

He's a part of the AIS squad and he's one who i see having a big upside, a player who you try to sneak in late at the end of one draft, who if not picked up could be a top 30 pick next year.

Not sure whos pick it is. Essendon I suspect would pass their last pick while I would be inclined to take it as there are a few player left that are bottom aged who I would certainly draft.
Are we awaiting Melbourne's pick?

Do I assume that Foj has passed on his final selection. Can I have a ruling here VC?

I got this PM from foj1 just as M4C made his pick.

foj1 said:
Essendon Pick 79 Brad Mangan 187cm 84kg Utility Murray Bushrangers
Brad Mangan is a bottom aged utility (April 91) who predominantly played on the flanks this year. He is good overhead, clever around goals and has decent closing speed however his prime asset is his kicking which is pretty close to A1. He has a strong, long and low kick which covers 55m consistently. Mangan has grown a couple of cms this year and I could see him as a dangerous weapon of half back with his strong kicking or a third tall/ forward utility. Mangan didnt test well at screening- see below however I am not that concerned about that as he is 17, had come off a grand final while others were preparing for screening and being from the country may not have been as exposed to the testing as others. In short he has a decent frame which will improve with work.
His draft camp results:
1.17 5m 3.15 20m 8.87 agility 12.7 beep test
Essendon will most likely choose to pass this pick however there is no one in the psd that I think they would covet and you cannot select bottom agers in the psd so I would select Mangan here.

Carlton (Selection 80)

Taking a bit of a risk here, but at 80, I reckon you can have a bit of a crack. Looking for an inside mid, and it wasn't until I picked up my copy of Inside Footy that I found one.

Warren Benjamin

Extremely quick (2.76 @20m at 2008 SS), hard at the footy and and he is very very strongly built. From what I have heard, needs some work on his kicking, but prepared to take a gamble that it can be fixed.

Remove this Banner Ad

2008 Official BigFooty Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back